What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wasn't hoarse last night finally and BGs normalizing bed 4.6 FBG 5.6.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and slice Tesco high protein bread with ham and a little coleslaw.
L. Nothing - taking the boys to their swimming lessons
D. Roast chicken with a sage, onion and herb stuffing. Spinach and either celeriac or cauliflower mash (haven't decided yet).

I'd better explain yesterday's MIL words of the plastic people. Her friend Edna has a grandson who went to group therapies and MIL would go with them. Edna explained that the major problems they faced was spasticity in the muscles. I suffer from the same thing due to spinal injury. Spasticity became plastic limbs and so on....

Today's saying also involved Edna - a well travelled woman, she had often visited King Kong! I do miss her humorous errors.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all lovely day today - looking after cooper next week - see avatar- for whole week for youngest son so finding out about his routine. Autistic eldest son has really bonded with him so will clearly be good for him. Luckily the puppy seemed to dote on him too!
Strict three small meals today - trying to stick to this and all bgs excellent with this way of eating too
Breakfast one boiled egg and one slice of low carb bread
Lunch small mackerel salad followed by small slice of low carb lemon drizzle
Dinner steak, green salad and buttered mushrooms with glass red wine followed by low carb lime mousse.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was planning an OMAD day but in the end I couldn't face another let down from my meter so no solid food today.
B: 1 mug decaf coffee with double cream and almond milk; 1 hr walk; 2 mugs tea 1 with double cream 1 with almond milk
MMS: Waitrose coffee
L: None
MAS: 2 pint mugs tea with almond milk
D: Water

Reactions: maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all lovely day today - looking after cooper next week - see avatar- for whole week for youngest son so finding out about his routine. Autistic eldest son has really bonded with him so will clearly be good for him. Luckily the puppy seemed to dote on him too!
Strict three small meals today - trying to stick to this and all bgs excellent with this way of eating too
Breakfast one boiled egg and one slice of low carb bread
Lunch small mackerel salad followed by small slice of low carb lemon drizzle
Dinner steak, green salad and buttered mushrooms with glass red wine followed by low carb lime mousse.
Your menu for today sounds wonderful, well done.
Good luck with the puppy sitting, lovely to read that he and your son have made a connection, hope you all have a fun week.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another beautiful day today, hope everyone has had a chance to relax and enjoy some sunshine.
I toasted my low carb bagel today and topped it with an omelette filled with tomato and peppers, some mushrooms and crispy bacon, everything was perfect, apart from the bagel, so that got left and the rest have been binned!
After such a large breakfast wasn’t really hungry but had a couple of slices of roast beef, filled with Stilton and drizzled with mayo and a few slices of gherkins.
Dinner was some mixed salad, pork and herb sausage patties, Indian flavoured chicken and some salami crisps again drizzled with some mayo, it was very tasty and filling.

Attachments

• 8D80CFFE-28A8-43F6-A5C8-A68C99853EC8.jpeg
    8D80CFFE-28A8-43F6-A5C8-A68C99853EC8.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 6B3A995F-BB20-4694-BD0F-05D649D6207C.jpeg
    6B3A995F-BB20-4694-BD0F-05D649D6207C.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 346
  • FC579109-E4B0-473B-9EFE-CFCE80DB4372.jpeg
    FC579109-E4B0-473B-9EFE-CFCE80DB4372.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 351

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ham, poached eggs and fried mushrooms

L: round no 1 daughter’s all afternoon, just had half a bag of pork scratchings while everyone else had a fairly high carb selection of stuff, then realised that I’d drunk quite a lot of wine so raided her fridge for some avocado and chicken slices.

D: Roast chicken leg, green beans, cauli cheese and a couple of bits of cheese afterwards. 2 glasses Red wine.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, hope you had a lovely weekend!

Kept mostly low carb this weekend, went to a food festival and didn't order anything but had two of the other half's nachos with sour cream, chilli, guacamole, cheese and salsa. Definitely could have demolished the whole try but two was enough to satisfy the craving!

Other than that it's been my standard low carb bagels and chicken kebabs today.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Catching up on yesterday. As I suspected it might, OMAD went out of the window yesterday. My sister got off her flight hungry and was ready to eat by the time we got to mine.

As it was already afternoon we opted for afternoon tea and ate some of the chocolate olive oil cake and cream. Haven’t tested it on its own before - 3.8 before and 4.0 two hours later so all good.

As usual eating a little made me hungrier than fasting so followed up with 25g almonds before a dinner of chicken wings with a coating of Parmesan, pork crunch and garlic salt followed by a 25g bar of Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 85% chocolate.

Hoping to return to OMAD today.

@shelley262 enjoy the dog sitting

@maglil55 glad you’re feeling a bit better and @ianpspurs hang in there!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Catching up on yesterday. As I suspected it might, OMAD went out of the window yesterday. My sister got off her flight hungry and was ready to eat by the time we got to mine.

As it was already afternoon we opted for afternoon tea and ate some of the chocolate olive oil cake and cream. Haven’t tested it on its own before - 3.8 before and 4.0 two hours later so all good.

@ianpspurs hang in there!
@Goonergal Cake sounds good, we were planning on trying this but I will hold off until I have been leeched. I am hanging - finger tips job atm - As I have said before after results I need to evaluate carefully how to adapt going forward. Enjoy your time with your sister family is/are precious.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was a day of low 3's and 4's but bed was 5.9 and FBG 8 probably thanks to a bigger and later Sunday night dinner.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. A fishy plate. Fresh anchovies, tablespoon prawn cocktail, mini mozzarella pearls and the remains of that lovely Tesco Edamame and cauliflower crush.
D. Remains of yesterday's roast chicken and stuffing with spinach and remains of celeriac. The celeriac became an experiment yesterday. I was making potato dauphinoise for the dinner but I wondered if celeriac dauphinous would work - it did! Got Hubby to cut the celeriac into potato sized slices (as you know it's a swine to cut) then layered it in a dish, celeriac , ground salt/pepper, grated gruyere and drizzle double cream over and repeat until all celeriac slices used. Finish with with grated cheese and the cream. Pop into Oven 190C fan until soft (about 1 hr). It was delicious.

MIL had a number of words that were just wrong. Grandson' s wife was Lickole rather than Nicole, great grandaughter was Natterley (and she didn't talk a lot!), she recalled needing a sweep for chimlies and when she had browncitis she got a subscription from the doctors!

Reactions: vanillapie and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. What was I saying about OMAD this morning? Unless continuous eating throughout the day counts as a single meal, it’s definitely gone!

Really hungry and couldn’t stop eating. Amazingly BG has continued to go down all day - suspect that won’t be the case come tomorrow morning. Here goes:

- Late breakfast, M&S Serrano ham and manchego rollitos.

- Lunch, M&S whipped cream cheese and smoked salmon.

- Dinner, remains of chocolate olive oil cake and cream, half a Lidl roll with almond butter, way too much Lindt 90% chocolate.

In between - 2 packs pork crunch and 25g Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 85% chocolate.

On a positive note, today I was discharged from the hospital I’ve been attending for chronic migraines for over 20 years (including 3 in patient stays) as I’ve had no migraines since mid-July. Consultant surprised and delighted and had heard of ketogenic diet!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@Goonergal good news re your migraines it’s amazing just how good for the body this way of eating is. Btw I did carry out chocolate olive oil cake freezing experiment took out of freezer last night and had some today and it is just as good tastes like when it was frozen. I’ve now frozen all the cakes I do so will stick with the making two loaf tins of each and rotating them gives variety.@maglil55 your MIL sayings are so funny but amazed how many you have! Sounds like you are getting back to normal - great to hear.
First puppy care day quite demanding small bladder etc so lots of toilet training so spending a lot of time in garden. Not allowed out for walks for another week yet. Fun too though although bgs slightly up all that running around!
Breakfast one boiled egg with one slice of low carb bread
Lunch one slice of low carb toast with mackerel pate followed by one slice choc olive oil cake
Dinner cold chicken with green salad followed by low carb lime mousse about to have coffee and a reward of one square of 90% choc.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Much more traditional British summer today but our strawberries are starting to ripen and there should be more than enough for two people by the weekend. @Goonergal fantastic news re migraine and @shelley262 good to know cakes freeze well .
I ate today but not fully on board with meals such as dinner though bloods later this month might settle my doubts - mainly cholesterol. I need to see much lower bg for the trade off to convince me - to be fair until recently the numbers were starting to win me over.
B: 3 mugs tea 1 with double cream 1 with almond milk
MMS: None
L: Filter coffee with vanilla extract and double cream; Homemade High fibre inulin toffee, flaxseed, 100% chocolate and raspberry bar; clotted cream - was hungry after 42 hrs but still not convinced about bg control
MAS: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk; Kale crisps with salt and vinegar
D: Pork shoulder with crackling; Vine tomatoes; mushrooms;Cream cheese; Strawberries Clotted and double cream; Glass red wine (Syrah)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 - we had almost 40 years of MIL sayings although I'm getting close to having ask my 2 SILs what they remember. We all just gave up correcting her as she just tended to go - Yes , and say the wrong thing again.
One she almost got right was when the house was upside down with renovation work. She informed me "you can't see the forest for the wood in the trees". They all made sense to her - bless.

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. What was I saying about OMAD this morning? Unless continuous eating throughout the day counts as a single meal, it’s definitely gone!

Really hungry and couldn’t stop eating. Amazingly BG has continued to go down all day - suspect that won’t be the case come tomorrow morning. Here goes:

- Late breakfast, M&S Serrano ham and manchego rollitos.

- Lunch, M&S whipped cream cheese and smoked salmon.

- Dinner, remains of chocolate olive oil cake and cream, half a Lidl roll with almond butter, way too much Lindt 90% chocolate.

In between - 2 packs pork crunch and 25g Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 85% chocolate.

On a positive note, today I was discharged from the hospital I’ve been attending for chronic migraines for over 20 years (including 3 in patient stays) as I’ve had no migraines since mid-July. Consultant surprised and delighted and had heard of ketogenic diet!
Brilliant result on being discharged, very pleased for you. Hope the migraines will not recur, could it be the LCHF that has helped maybe? Thankfully I don’t suffer with them and don’t suffer with headaches very often, since started low carb I don’t recall having any?!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

@Goonergal I’m so pleased about the migraines it’s amazing! Glad your cake went down well with your sister.
@shelley262 your puppy sitting sounds exhausting, but puppies are so adorable aren’t they?
@maglil55 your MIL name swaps remind me of my dad. When my daughter introduced him to her friend from uni, called Tash, he insisted on calling her trash!!! Luckily she found it funny. He also renamed her old boyfriend whose name was Prem ( short for Premdeep) and called him Prune! The relationship didn’t last, no idea if her grandad helped it’s demise.
@ianpspurs hang in there, as someone has already said.
B: scrambled egg and avocado
L: slice of roast beef with salad leaves and olive oil. 10g Montezuma’s absolute black melted with a big spoonful of clotted cream and 5 raspberries

D: slow roast pork belly. Cabbage cooked in butter, green beans and broccoli. Glass of red ( Malbec)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@Goonergal good news re your migraines it’s amazing just how good for the body this way of eating is. Btw I did carry out chocolate olive oil cake freezing experiment took out of freezer last night and had some today and it is just as good tastes like when it was frozen. I’ve now frozen all the cakes I do so will stick with the making two loaf tins of each and rotating them gives variety.@maglil55 your MIL sayings are so funny but amazed how many you have! Sounds like you are getting back to normal - great to hear.
First puppy care day quite demanding small bladder etc so lots of toilet training so spending a lot of time in garden. Not allowed out for walks for another week yet. Fun too though although bgs slightly up all that running around!
Breakfast one boiled egg with one slice of low carb bread
Lunch one slice of low carb toast with mackerel pate followed by one slice choc olive oil cake
Dinner cold chicken with green salad followed by low carb lime mousse about to have coffee and a reward of one square of 90% choc.
Sounds like you’ve had an entertaining day, puppies are hard work but lots of fun, enjoy. X

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s menu was coconut porridge, no strawberries as I didn’t have any :(
Lunch was a repeat of yesterday’s evening meal as I had leftovers
Afternoon snack coffee with cream and small pack of pork scratchings, I needed reviving after being in a project planning meeting all afternoon :arghh:
Evening meal chicken and chorizo skewers, chilli and lime chicken skewers, cauliflower rice followed by strawberries and cream

Attachments

• 21ECF1C1-22C7-44DA-8C46-81A8BE424AF2.jpeg
    21ECF1C1-22C7-44DA-8C46-81A8BE424AF2.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 60F78488-0856-4C50-AD1F-F389AE64360B.jpeg
    60F78488-0856-4C50-AD1F-F389AE64360B.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 6239199F-234B-4179-A93D-F0BDDD35C349.jpeg
    6239199F-234B-4179-A93D-F0BDDD35C349.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 327