Food replacement.

nessals

Thinking of starting a meal replacement diet to lose 2 stone.Ive lost and gained weight throughout my entire adult life and the 2 stone I lost by March last year I have regained.
Weight watchers has always been my go to,but I'm not feeling disciplined enough to do that right now.Almased is one I've used before but I'm looking for any updates on this kind of plan.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I don't know of any such plans that work long term. I have yo-yo dieted since my early teens and each time I only gained more weight after.

Getting diagnosed with T2 and eating low carb high fat (LCHF) was the only plan that worked for me.

I even fell off the wagon with that plan after several years, and regained the weight I had lost, although luckily am not heavier than when I started it 9 years ago.

Long term overeating can be a complex health issue that needs looking into. Almost all weight loss diets are designed to fail so the company can make money off us again.

nessals

I don't know of any such plans that work long term. I have yo-yo dieted since my early teens and each time I only gained more weight after.

Getting diagnosed with T2 and eating low carb high fat (LCHF) was the only plan that worked for me.

I even fell off the wagon with that plan after several years, and regained the weight I had lost, although luckily am not heavier than when I started it 9 years ago.

Long term overeating can be a complex health issue that needs looking into. Almost all weight loss diets are designed to fail so the company can make money off us again.
I have type 1 diabetes and im restricted with the kind of plans I can follow.Im just fed up of being fed up with the way I look and feel.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I have type 1 diabetes and im restricted with the kind of plans I can follow.Im just fed up of being fed up with the way I look and feel.
Hugs. I am fed up with the way I look and feel, too. It's very hard to manage weight along with something like T1 or other medical conditions. I am wondering if the people in the T1 subforum would be able to help you with ideas? Are you happy with your BGs day to day?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

I think that @Mel dCP may be able to help, if not, I'm sure she will know of other T1s in a similar situation. Good luck.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning! I’m T1 as well. When you say you’re restricted, how do you mean? We talking food allergies, not liking lots of foods, cultural/ethical issues?

nessals

Morning! I’m T1 as well. When you say you’re restricted, how do you mean? We talking food allergies, not liking lots of foods, cultural/ethical issues?
I meant restricted by the meal replacement options.I was looking at the newcastle diet but that only seems to apply to type 2 diabetics.
I've lost weight many times before but always put it back on so quickly,whatever method I use.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I meant restricted by the meal replacement options.I was looking at the newcastle diet but that only seems to apply to type 2 diabetics.
I've lost weight many times before but always put it back on so quickly,whatever method I use.
Ah, right. What sort of insulin regime are you on? I switched to very low carb eating a few months ago but had to massively reduce my insulin intake as I did so.

Problem with massive weight loss programmes like WW, and the Newcastle Diet is that they tend to be short term, and you need to make changes for life.

What is a typical day’s food for you?

nessals

Ah, right. What sort of insulin regime are you on? I switched to very low carb eating a few months ago but had to massively reduce my insulin intake as I did so.

Problem with massive weight loss programmes like WW, and the Newcastle Diet is that they tend to be short term, and you need to make changes for life.

What is a typical day’s food for you?
I'm on tresiba and novorapid/fiasp.I take 16u of tresiba a day and 1=15 for carb ratio.
I'm more of a grazer really and that's my problem.I don't eat meat but I hate veg,my diet is pretty bad really.I have to take all sorts of supplements to keep myself going.Ive had diabetes for 42 years and know every trick in the book by now.All I'm after is a plan that will work quickly and safely.

nessals

I've made an appointment with a Cambridge diet consultant for wednesday morning.See what she says is suitable for me,if anything is.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We’re on similar doses of Tresiba, I take 17 units a day. My usual carb ratio is 1:10, but a little higher in the mornings at around 1:7, I’m on Novorapid.

I don’t eat meat either, but I do eat fish and eggs. Are they things you can tolerate? Protein is really important.

I’ve got not experience of these plans, I did Slimming World for a few years and lost six stone - but my diabetes suffered terribly as a result of all the carbs they recommend, and I ended up hospitalised twice with DKA. I’ve put a couple back on since, which I’m trying to lose.

How are your glucose levels?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Feeding the hypos won't help weight. You may need to look at your basal and then ratios.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
am a type1 diabetic was fat and now have slim down .any help to regain weight

Is this a rhetorical question? Was fat —> Have to slim down —> And want to gain weight

So maybe what you really want is to turn fat into muscle? If this is true, cut carbs, increase natural fat & protein, and get an aggressive workout program.