Vitamin D deficiency

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi

After recent blood tests, I have been told my vitamin D levels are low. I bought some high strength tablets from boots 12ug strength. Does anyone know what this is in units as apparently I should be taking between 1000 and 2000 units a day. Is this right.

thanks
Avi

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi
I also take high strength vit D...mine come from an internet company and their tablets are 25mcg equating to 1000iu.
Doctors can apparently prescribe vit D I think, but their prescription ones aren't vit D3 and are not so effective as taking the bought vitd3.
I have started taking 2 a day of mine, and because my husband doesn't see daylight because of work he also takes them as well. I started to take them recently, as I have been researching their ability to help fibromyalgia, not anything to do with diabetes or low levels of vit D, as I don't think I have ever had these tested. Good on your doc for looking in to this, as I don't think it is widely done.
Hope this helps...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would have thought if you were told after a blood test that your vit d was low that your doctor would have prescribed medication for you if it were necessary, why would you need to buy your own meds?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sorry didnt see your post dd but TBH I personally would never ever buy any medication off the internet, there are far too many counterfeit meds about, its not like buying a pair of snide Nike trainers, this is your health your gambling with :(

avi

Dislikes
Hi

I was told I could have prescription ones but they taste horrible apparently, my choice, but didn't realise that bought ones come in various strengths and with various measurements. Was told seven seas one were the best but the price of these in boots, I just bought there own brand. They say high strength 12.5 ug.

Avi

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As you don't chew the tablets but swallow them can't really see where taste comes into it ? In any case all the D Vitamins are available on prescription so would have asked the GP for the appropriate dose. If you are only low then you don't need much. See the BNF60 entry regarding VIt D of many types, D2, D3 etc.

The term Vitamin D is used for a range of compounds which possess the property of preventing or curing rickets. They include ergocalciferol (calciferol, vitamin D2), colecalciferol (vitamin D3), dihydrotachysterol, alfacalcidol (1α-hydroxycholecalciferol), and calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol).

Simple vitamin D deficiency can be prevented by taking an oral supplement of only 10 micrograms (400 units) of ergocalciferol (calciferol, vitamin D2) or colecalciferol (vitamin D3) daily. Vitamin D deficiency can occur in people whose exposure to sunlight is limited and in those whose diet is deficient in vitamin D.

No reason for anybody to take more than the usual dose unless for medical reasons.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My purchase of D3 over the internet is from the biggest vitamin health tablet company, not from ebay. I just didn't like to post the name of the company I use, as it may fall short of the forum rules......they also send out catalgues to people.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
THis is why I use bought vit D, this is only an opinion over the internet though-however, it steered me towards purchased ones, rather than prescribed, but again-that is only my opinion, and NOT on medical evidence.......

With vitamin D in particular, the prescription form is vastly inferior to the over-the-counter preparation. This is because the prescription form is ergocalciferol, or vitamin D2, not the effective human form, vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol.

When you're exposed to sun, what form of vitamin D is activated in the skin? It's all vitamin D3, no vitamin D2 whatsoever. Vitamin D3 is also far more effective than D2. People taking D3 (as long as it's oil-based) easily obtain healthy levels of vitamin D in the blood. People taking 50,000 units per day of D2 (the recommended quantity) remain miserably deficient, with minor increases in vitamin D blood levels. In short, D2 barely works at all. D3 works easily and effectively.

Moreover, D2 is the plant-based form. It is a form not found naturally in humans. D3 is the mammalian form, the same found in humans that exerts all its biologic benefits.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Colecalciferol (vitamin D3), is the prescription form and is readily available from your GP if it is necessary. The information about Vit D from the Net is just the usual stuff from those that want to sell it to you as opposed to those who prescribe it who don't want your money........

There have been many debates on here about Vit D of all kinds, if you do a search you will see BOTH sides of the story.......not just the ones with vested interests. Those that sell the stuff !

Sometimes I think these supplements are more psychological effect than actual beneficial effects. However, I have never been shown to be deficient in Vit D of any kind so I think my diet must be pretty well up on all that I actually need. Where I live isn't renowned for it's amount of sunshine either ......... 8)

I wouldn't take ANY supplement unless I was actually shown to need it and I would get it prescribed.

Save anybody looking, here is a link to just one of the previous threads about Vit D and recommended levels. Plenty of information there even if it does give BOTH sides of supplementation.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18113&hilit=Vitamin+D#p164335

cugila

Master
Dislikes
An aid to deciding if supplements are needed.

a) Do you have a deficiency .......have you been tested.
b) Will a supplement help...........evidence for that.
c) Is it on prescription...............will I get it free.
d) Does it need monitoring while you take it........blood tests etc.

After that you are on your own, you make the choice after weighing up the advantages and disadvantages.

The people who want you to buy and take their supplements are the equivalent of the 'Sales people' who prey on the weak and defenceless, the old, the infirm, the gullible. Those who don't know enough about the subject so believe all they are told........I mean, these people advising you are 'experts' aren't they ? It's only later that you realise all is not what it seems.......that you have been ripped off !

Just a thought.........

avi

Dislikes
Hi

Well problem solved, went to docs to pick up prescription of test strips and they decided to give me a prescription of Adcal-D3 anyway, ready and waiting for me. I'm to take two a day and they are chewable, hence the taste, they contain 10 micrograms of vit d3.

Thanks all
Avi

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Vit D is great. I buy Healthy Origins 10,000iu.

I definitely felt a difference after I'd been taking them for a few weeks. Felt much les run down, much more energy.

PM me if you'd like any info.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
avi said:
Hi

Well problem solved, went to docs to pick up prescription of test strips and they decided to give me a prescription of Adcal-D3 anyway, ready and waiting for me. I'm to take two a day and they are chewable, hence the taste, they contain 10 micrograms of vit d3.

Thanks all
Avi

My son was on Adcal last year Avi, they come in different flavours and he didn't mind the taste whatsoever, just remember to chew them as much as possible as this helps with the absorption.

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
avi said:
Hi

Thanks all
Avi

I was prescribed Adcal-D3 when I was taking Prednisolone long term to help prevent osteoporosis. Be aware that a possible side effect of Adcal-D3 is kidney stones due to the calcium.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just one other thing about Adcal. if you are taking iron supplements make sure you don't take the two together and leave a few hours between doses.

Nigel

avi

Dislikes
tuti fruti flavour, so we'll see, the only other things I'm taking are evening primrose oil and garlic tabs, blood count and everything else was ok.

avi

cugila

Master
Dislikes
If anybody takes Vit D supplements of whatever type they should be aware of this from the BNF60 :

All patients receiving pharmacological doses of vitamin D should have their plasma-calcium concentration checked at intervals (initially once or twice weekly) and whenever nausea or vomiting occur.

I would have thought it follows that if you are taking unprescribed OTC higher doses of the same thing that the above would also apply....... :|

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I too take supplemental Vit D3, particularly in the winter. The older we get, the less efficient we are at making it.

I researched by Googling, and read peer-reviewed articles/synopses out of scientific journals from both sides of the pond rather than obviously 'commercial' sites. I made my own decision on taking it. I don't take added calcium as I believe I get enough from my diet.

The information is out there, but it takes a little effort and some lateral thinking to obtain it.

I must admit I feel a great deal better for it. Normally at this time of year I would be at the GP weeping buckets over the poor, long-suffering man! :shock: I haven't done that for 2 years now, and he seems to have stopped twitching nervously whenever he sees me :lol: It certainly seems to have helped my winter blues.

'Informed decision' is the answer, I think.

Viv :)

chrissieworne

Hi,

My hubby was diagnosed with severe VIT D deffiency back in December, he was put on a 20,000 yes. 20 thou unit per day for 3 weeks then commenced daily fruity flavored tabs at 1,500 units and his VD is at acceptable levels but he needs to continue to take the lower dose.

I have put units 'cos I can't recall what they are measured in, I know it's not milligrams.

He has had no side effects and is feeling much, much better.

Chrissie

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It's measured in IUs (international units, I think) but I've no idea what that means in other money!

Apparently we can make up to 40,000 units per day just by exposure to sunshine (and without burning!). In the winter we don't get enough, but in younger people and those who are manufacturing it properly, a good summer accumulation will see us through the winter.

Application of very high factor sun screen can retard the manufacture of Vit D, which is one of the reasons that rickets is reappearing.

And - the best bit - the cholesterol in our subcutaneous fat is involved in the manufacture of Vit D! As far as I know there is not yet any published research into whether lowering blood cholesterol levels has any effect on this process.

If anyone knows more, I'd be grateful to learn.

Viv :)