Tired of trying, bad management or bad pancreas?

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried controlling my blood sugars by diet alone the past couple of months. When I stopped taking Glic, the nurse informed me the blood sugar readings may take a while to settle, so I stopped testing to save me unnecessary worry.

My diet has been low carb and high fat with total carbs hovering around the 50-60 gram a day mark for 5 days, and below 10g 2 days a week. Losing weight slowly and steadily, feeling well and thinking I could eat like this forever.

Picked up some strips last week and had a massive wake up call with my first reading of 9.9. I doubled down for three days, keeping both carbs and protein below 50g together in total. I lived on double cream with a small amount of salad and cheese, weighing and measuring everything. Calorie intake on those days under 1400. Bloods hovered from 7.2 to 10.1

I really can't think of any more I can do. Weeks of steady eating appear not to have helped at all and trying to force my liver to burn up excess stored sugar seems to have failed also.

I have an appt for my next a1c coming up soon, should I be discussing more meds or questioning my diagnosis. I really don't feel capable of going on a zero carb diet and at the moment feeling rather disappointed and dispondent.

Apologies for the long post and rant. Any ideas for the next step, folk? Anyone had similar problems?

Reactions: Freema

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried controlling my blood sugars by diet alone the past couple of months. When I stopped taking Glic, the nurse informed me the blood sugar readings may take a while to settle, so I stopped testing to save me unnecessary worry.

My diet has been low carb and high fat with total carbs hovering around the 50-60 gram a day mark for 5 days, and below 10g 2 days a week. Losing weight slowly and steadily, feeling well and thinking I could eat like this forever.

Picked up some strips last week and had a massive wake up call with my first reading of 9.9. I doubled down for three days, keeping both carbs and protein below 50g together in total. I lived on double cream with a small amount of salad and cheese, weighing and measuring everything. Calorie intake on those days under 1400. Bloods hovered from 7.2 to 10.1

I really can't think of any more I can do. Weeks of steady eating appear not to have helped at all and trying to force my liver to burn up excess stored sugar seems to have failed also.

I have an appt for my next a1c coming up soon, should I be discussing more meds or questioning my diagnosis. I really don't feel capable of going on a zero carb diet and at the moment feeling rather disappointed and dispondent.

Apologies for the long post and rant. Any ideas for the next step, folk? Anyone had similar problems?
Hi Runica, how long ago were you diagnosed and how much weight did you think you had to lose? You say that steady eating does not appeared to have helped but sometimes (especially in the early weeks), you may not realise that your diet choices ARE helping as each day passes. If you are losing any excess weight I imagine your body is slowly becoming more insulin sensitive. That means that your body is starting to be able to process the insulin being produced thus your glucose levels will start to lower. As a type 1, insulin works immediately to lower glucose but surely for a type 2 it takes much, much longer and you have to be patient. I am sure other type 2's will tell you it took them months to see lower figures, please don't give up, you clearly know what you are doing, it is just that you are disappointed at the slow progress. If it were me, I think I would plough on for a good 3 months before deciding whether it was working or not, you may be surprised! (Apologies for making assumptions about 'typical type 2's' because I know there are many variations) and as others have said, you can always discuss other medication as well. x

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar

Are you exercising as well as dieting. Exercise burns up glucose in the muscles and the effect goes on for hours after you stop exercising. I do at least 20 minutes of moderate/intensive exercise each day. You can also help by building muscle by using light weights. Even raising your arms a few times with a can of beans in each hand is better than nothing. You should see the results on your meter within a week or two, but stick with it. It works.

Reactions: millenium

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies :)

Kk123, I was diagnosed last August. By Christmas I had cut all sugar, bread, rice and other obvious carbs from my diet. In February I played with keto for three weeks but found myself feeling rather unwell, so switched to low carb, aiming for under 50g a day. I lurked on this forum a lot, learned a great amount, and felt good about taking control. I just feel as if I am banging my head against a brick wall. I know we are all different, but I did expect to see some better improvement. Weight wise, I was 3 1/2 stone overweight at diagnosis. I've lost 1 1/2 so far, slow and steady, and have dropped a dress size. I know I have probably slowed my metabolism by not eating enough, but if I'm not hungry I just don't eat. Perhaps, to quote a line from a Clint Eastwood film, I should Endeavour to Persevere.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Thanks for your replies :)

Kk123, I was diagnosed last August. By Christmas I had cut all sugar, bread, rice and other obvious carbs from my diet. In February I played with keto for three weeks but found myself feeling rather unwell, so switched to low carb, aiming for under 50g a day. I lurked on this forum a lot, learned a great amount, and felt good about taking control. I just feel as if I am banging my head against a brick wall. I know we are all different, but I did expect to see some better improvement. Weight wise, I was 3 1/2 stone overweight at diagnosis. I've lost 1 1/2 so far, slow and steady, and have dropped a dress size. I know I have probably slowed my metabolism by not eating enough, but if I'm not hungry I just don't eat. Perhaps, to quote a line from a Clint Eastwood film, I should Endeavour to Persevere.
I think you just need to be patient. I've lost 2.5 stone dropping my BMI to 24.8. The last stone really made the difference. My BG fell slowly at the start, but it fell in the end. My last HBa1C was down to 42 from 53 at diagnosis. Exercise is now a big part of my life and I can't praise the benefits too highly. It makes you feel better and more positive and that is half the battle.
Good luck

Reactions: Runica

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was that first 9.9 test? Random, fasting?
The changes in your body that led to diagnosis of type 2 took on average 10 years to develop, so as others have said please give yourself time to get back to normal.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry to hear your struggles,

I’m a fan of lchf, I ate like that for years and it was very successful for me, I am now slightly higher carb high fat, try to keep the carbs down and don’t eat any of the main rice, pasta etc etc. In our position, I see no point in creating a false bg by living on double cream and cheese, unless you feel you could be happy eating that way forever, I would sooner look at medication for bg and eat the lchf “normal” diet you were happy with.

I hope that’s making sense? My opinion for what it’s worth would be to eat how you want to eat forever and let the hba1c dictate which meds you are one.

If you were stuffing down the doughnuts I would not be saying this but you are trying so hard and doing so well, sometimes we just need a little help.

Best wishes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In February I played with keto for three weeks but found myself feeling rather unwel
That was probably the dreaded "carb flu" which if you had gone a little longer would probably have passed. My advice would be to try again with very low carb then once you get stable blood sugars slowly (very slowly) start to re-introduce more carbs (if you feel you have to/want to) . That way you will probably find the weight comes off that little bit easier and you'll get more motivated. Certainly worked well for me.

Reactions: Freema

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everybody. It really does help to offload to people who have been through similar, my family is very supportive but it's just not the same.

Excercise, yes. I must make more of an effort to include this. I have been using excuses to myself , thinking a little brisk walk or gardening was sufficient. 20 minutes of something to increase the heart rate on a daily basis would bring better results. I'm on it.

As for the keto diet, I think I'm not ready to go back there just yet. Perhaps with a better mood I'll have more motivation to try again. Summer is coming so I won't feel so very cold all the time with it!

Thanks to all again for support and advice, and all the hugs too.

Seewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Read Dr Jason Fung’s book The Diabetes Code. After 40 years of no control on so many meds and so much dieting, I finally have control. Blood glucose in healthy range. Lost a bit of weight. Feel great. Read the book might be for you. And he has the research to back it up. I so wish you good health!

Seewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh and no meds except farxiga once daily because I have CHF and it allows me to excrete sugar in urine and is heart protective

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do sympathise, as I often feel I am not getting the response to my low carb eating that I deserve, and that is SO SO discouraging! My suggestion would be to ask ty try Metformin. While it is not a magic bullet, taking Metformin on top of low carbing has certainly helped me lower my bgs. If you do decide to try it, you will have to be patient, as it is important to start on a very low dose to avoid digestive upsets. Here is an article you might find helpful:
http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took ages for my body to respond to the LCHF lifestyle .. the thing that really kick started the BS coming down (and staying down) was fasting. i cut out breakfast entirely (which for a sweet-toothed thing like myself was really easy - as I can't think of anything worse than bacon and eggs first thing in the morning - it's a girl thing !). Have you tried not starting your days food until about 1pm????

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi charliebarker, I normally have at least one day a week without eating, I never eat before 11am and only ate breakfast when I had to take meds. I allow myself 100ml double cream on non-eating days, not exactly fasting, I know, but I'm a big coffee addict and I would throw toddler tantrums without it :banghead::arghh::banghead:

I think, looking at the experience of others here, that I'm just too impatient!

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do sympathise, as I often feel I am not getting the response to my low carb eating that I deserve, and that is SO SO discouraging! My suggestion would be to ask ty try Metformin. While it is not a magic bullet, taking Metformin on top of low carbing has certainly helped me lower my bgs. If you do decide to try it, you will have to be patient, as it is important to start on a very low dose to avoid digestive upsets. Here is an article you might find helpful:
http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261
I was put on metformin initially but couldn't tolerate it at all. Couldn't breathe. Cost the NHS some bucks with x Rays, lung function tests and ECGs. Glic worked well alongside low carbing, but the results were so good I got carried away and thought I could do this with diet alone. I wish the Met worked for me because reading up on it I understand it has a number of other benefits x

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I was put on metformin initially but couldn't tolerate it at all. Couldn't breathe. Cost the NHS some bucks with x Rays, lung function tests and ECGs. Glic worked well alongside low carbing, but the results were so good I got carried away and thought I could do this with diet alone. I wish the Met worked for me because reading up on it I understand it has a number of other benefits x
It may seem like those heart and lung tests were not really needed and a waste of NHS money but actually they are quite useful tests and relatively cheap compared to others. It's always good to hear those particular tests came back normal because some of the disorders they can detect are fairly common and carry some risk.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hi charliebarker, I normally have at least one day a week without eating, I never eat before 11am and only ate breakfast when I had to take meds. I allow myself 100ml double cream on non-eating days, not exactly fasting, I know, but I'm a big coffee addict and I would throw toddler tantrums without it :banghead::arghh::banghead:

I think, looking at the experience of others here, that I'm just too impatient!
Or, maybe some of them are too impatient perhaps?;) One size does not fit all.

You seem to know what works for you and what time of year. Life is too short to push yourself into something when you know it's not the right time for you (given your non-urgent A1c level... ie it's above where you want to be but not by much. I certainly wouldn't be endorsing a delay in strict low carbing if it was 100 or something.)

In your first post you asked about discussing more meds at your next visit or questioning your diagnosis. The first response was a suggestion to do both and I agree with that. I'm not advising you start any medication, just agreeing that discussing wouldn't hurt.

Do you remember what your A1c was when you went off Glic? And what dose were you taking? Thanks.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I allow myself 100ml double cream
I do sympathise. Out of my precious 20-30g carbs daily I "spend" several on double cream in tea and, especially, coffee. I wouldn't quite say that these brews are what makes life worth living, but almost!

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs must be 20g max per day ...

="Runica, post: 1800420, member: 469227"]I have tried controlling my blood sugars by diet alone the past couple of months. When I stopped taking Glic, the nurse informed me the blood sugar readings may take a while to settle, so I stopped testing to save me unnecessary worry.

Apologies for the long post and rant. Any ideas for the next step, folk? Anyone had similar problems?[/QUOTE]