Test Strip - Prescribing Costs / Choices

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Surprised to see that this lists the Accu-Chek Performa strips at the same price as the GlucoRx Nexus. I prefer the meter for the former, but was switched to the latter by my GP, and I assumed that was for cost reasons.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surprised to see that this lists the Accu-Chek Performa strips at the same price as the GlucoRx Nexus. I prefer the meter for the former, but was switched to the latter by my GP, and I assumed that was for cost reasons.

As I understand it, each CCG decides what should be prescribed within their area. Probably a couple of years ago now, I was involved in a testing and discussion group for my CCG, for their meter and strip prescription list. We were giving feedback on around a dozen meters, with the list being whittled to about half that.

As I am not, and never have been prescribed testing kit, the outcome was of interest to me, but not material interest. Some of the final choices had my eyebrows disappearing into my hairline, but we were one group of several involved in the consultation process.