How Long Does It Take After A Hypo For You To Feel Better

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my bloods were 3.1 this morning and had most of the hypo symptoms now 8 hours later I still feel absolutely lousy with all the same symptoms though my levels have risen somewhat but still only 4.9 and I am usually far higher than that. Any suggestions would be helpful, also an indication of when I can expect to feel better as is really difficult working as my eyes are not focusing and my brain is unable to handle emails

Reactions: mytype1.life

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my bloods were 3.1 this morning and had most of the hypo symptoms now 8 hours later I still feel absolutely lousy with all the same symptoms though my levels have risen somewhat but still only 4.9 and I am usually far higher than that. Any suggestions would be helpful, also an indication of when I can expect to feel better as is really difficult working as my eyes are not focusing and my brain is unable to handle emails

Was the 3.1 a fasting blood glucose test reading?
You were right to treat and try and get your levels higher.
Are you on any meds?

I believe what is happening is your blood sugar levels have dropped suddenly and then the rebound effect, you have fluctuating bloods, this is why you still feel dreadful.
I would eat something low carb and relax. Have plenty of water.

Tomorrow I f you are on meds, I would ask your GP, why you are waking up to hypo levels.

Best wishes

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was the 3.1 a fasting blood glucose test reading?
You were right to treat and try and get your levels higher.
Are you on any meds?

I believe what is happening is your blood sugar levels have dropped suddenly and then the rebound effect, you have fluctuating bloods, this is why you still feel dreadful.
I would eat something low carb and relax. Have plenty of water.

Tomorrow I f you are on meds, I would ask your GP, why you are waking up to hypo levels.

Best wishes
yes woke up and felt rotten could barely stand so took bloods and that was the reading. I am on glucophage SR (metformin) 1000mg and glicazlide 80mg plus trajenta (linagliptin) 5mg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Then you need to speak to your GP, as the meds are doing too much to put you in Hypoglycaemia levels.

Best wishes

Reactions: donnellysdogs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there. Was your 3.1 reading something you've had before, or was it a very new thing? In general, are you rreergularly having under 4.0 hypos?

How long have you been taking your medications at their current levels?

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there. Was your 3.1 reading something you've had before, or was it a very new thing? In general, are you rreergularly having under 4.0 hypos?

How long have you been taking your medications at their current levels?
meds at their current levels at least a year and no something new as I tend to have hypers not hypos

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
meds at their current levels at least a year and no something new as I tend to have hypers not hypos

Have you changed anything else, like your diet or exercise? Have you started on any other meds, or been diagnosed with any other condition or conditions?

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok got bloods up to 5.5 two hours after a meal last night. Went to bed and fell asleep and woke up drenched in sweat horibble night kept waking up interspersed with weird dreams got up at 5am couldnt focus and room was spinning chnaged my teeshirt went and washed and went back to bed as felt so ill. Got up 4 hours later feeling a lot better but still not well fasting bloods were 3.5 should I skip meds or even halve them as I refuse to feel ill for a third day as have a business to run though luckily no orders so far so can be lazy

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two hours after eating bloods shot up to 10.8 so took the second gliclazide seeing as I omitted it . I have a diabetes review in less than two weeks so if not back to normal by then will talk to them

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Summer can affect our bodies.

If you are waking sweaty and having to change sweatshirt, that is the time you need to test..

Everybody reacts differently to hypos. Some feel dreadful for hours. I never do, totally able to just do what ever and no "hangover from hypos" at all. Some do though, so you arent the only one.

Not sure about the particular meds you are on and I'm really saying this from my experience of hypos on human insulin-however it does for me matter how quickly my levels are dropping for the sweating and symptoms you are describing. If I feel lime that my levels are dropping quickly. Feeling like thisduring nights in particular, you need to rest and treat asap...

Reactions: Lamont D

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Summer can affect our bodies.

If you are waking sweaty and having to change sweatshirt, that is the time you need to test..

Everybody reacts differently to hypos. Some feel dreadful for hours. I never do, totally able to just do what ever and no "hangover from hypos" at all. Some do though, so you arent the only one.

Not sure about the particular meds you are on and I'm really saying this from my experience of hypos on human insulin-however it does for me matter how quickly my levels are dropping for the sweating and symptoms you are describing. If I feel lime that my levels are dropping quickly. Feeling like thisduring nights in particular, you need to rest and treat asap...

am on gliclazide 80mg x 2 twice a day, metformin PR 1000mg twice a day trajenta 4mg once a day. Still feeling rotten even though bloods have risen. Summer? this is cold I find UK summers cold especially in the north of England usually am cold as have hereditary PA so as the NHS is miserable and only let you have injections every three months by now I am usually cold so unusual to find I am sweating. And at 6am was unable to see straight let alone walk straight took me over 10 minutes to find a tee shirt as could barely see the drawers to get one out. Two days of this and I am a far from happy camper

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
am on gliclazide 80mg x 2 twice a day, metformin PR 1000mg twice a day trajenta 4mg once a day. Still feeling rotten even though bloods have risen. Summer? this is cold I find UK summers cold especially in the north of England usually am cold as have hereditary PA so as the NHS is miserable and only let you have injections every three months by now I am usually cold so unusual to find I am sweating. And at 6am was unable to see straight let alone walk straight took me over 10 minutes to find a tee shirt as could barely see the drawers to get one out. Two days of this and I am a far from happy camper

But you should have hypo stoppers by side of bed.... so test, treat, then change tshirt, change the bed... but the priority is to test, and treat. Thats what you need to do instead of tshirt first.

Yes, PA and injections being 3 monthly isnt good. Agree on that. I feel **** constantly with levels on the border of diagnosis but methylcbalim 5mg pills gives me enough to just stay there. My GP reckons that you have to be a level of 100 before feeling ****!! -yeah, right. Total empathy to you.

Please make hypo stoppers close to you whilst sleeping a priority until you can ssleak to medics..

Reactions: Toblerone22

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But you should have hypo stoppers by side of bed.... so test, treat, then change tshirt, change the bed... but the priority is to test, and treat. Thats what you need to do instead of tshirt first.

Yes, PA and injections being 3 monthly isnt good. Agree on that. I feel **** constantly with levels on the border of diagnosis but methylcbalim 5mg pills gives me enough to just stay there. My GP reckons that you have to be a level of 100 before feeling ****!! -yeah, right. Total empathy to you.

Please make hypo stoppers close to you whilst sleeping a priority until you can ssleak to medics..
thanks very much - and I augment with B12 pills as well or would never survive...

Reactions: donnellysdogs

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I find it can take different amounts of time as every hypo is different. At certain times of the day I can treat and get on with whatever I’m doing. Other times I can’t function and have to sit down/rest. Somedays the ‘hypo hangover’ can affect me for the whole day and possibly the next, particularly if my sleep is disturbed.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find it can take different amounts of time as every hypo is different. At certain times of the day I can treat and get on with whatever I’m doing. Other times I can’t function and have to sit down/rest. Somedays the ‘hypo hangover’ can affect me for the whole day and possibly the next, particularly if my sleep is disturbed.
well I hope that todays one isnt as bad did everything right and still low but 3.4 so not as bad as Monday so getting there. Even eating better and still things are not up to par. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be back to normal as I have a class so need to be alert

Reactions: mytype1.life

yukon4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

That's pretty much the case with me. At times, I feel really bad, takes me upwards of 2 hours to recover after eating (requires lying down/sleep), other times, a mild episode, less than 15min, if I tackle it on time.

The Mods

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still having problems as stayed at 3.4 after eating took honey which lifted it to 4.0 now feeling bad again and am thinking I will have to see my doctor or nurse as this is the third day of feeling bad - Monday and Tuesday were horrendous felt bad all day both days least today I have had a period of being okay.