Lower carbohyrdate diet

bronisaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking of trying a low carb diet. Can you still loose weight whilst following it? I'm moving on to a pump next week, so I think I'll have wait a bit until everything settles down.

Hi JoJoS, I’m new to this forum and to low carb eating but for what it’s worth I’ve already lost weight in less than a week of low carb eating.
I’m loving this result, but what I love more is feeling clear headed because after meal spikes are so much lower and overnight my sleep quality is better even though I wake to check bsl ( I live alone) .

I have eaten plenty of nuts and cream and eggs and meat so I wasn’t convinced that I would lose weight straight away. This morning I’m working on my shopping list so that I make sure I’ve got the pantry and freezer loaded with good options. I didn’t mention but lots of salad and non starchy vegetables have also been consumed.

Looking at my app that I record everything I am putting so much less Humalog into my body on a daily basis and thus not ‘feeding’ that extra insulin with carbs.

Reactions: JoJoS

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 37 years and at last hospital appointment I had put on some weight so decided low carb

I still have about 45 g at breakfast, 20 at lunch and 20 at evening meal. I do this for 5 of the 7 days a week Cut out bread potatoes rice and pasta and I am not missing them at all.

In six weeks I lost around 4 kg, so overall happy with way things are going

Reactions: bronisaurus

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there anything in particular you are struggling with?
I can only tell you of the mistakes I made when I first started a lower carb lifestyle. First big mistake, I tried to do it too quickly and subsequently felt awful and was ready to abandon the whole idea. So, take it steady.
My second mistake was not raising my fat intake enough to offset the carn drop. This left me feeling hungry and weak.
Third mistake was ignoring my protein intake which I think I may just about have got right now.
But, apart from that...

Yes, I rushed into it too quickly. I was away from home for the day, and I just thought I was going to collapse. Desperate to eat anything to feel better. Should have reduced gradually.

Reactions: Guzzler

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone experiencing frequent Hypos if you exercise? How do you overcome that?

Do you have some carbs during pre or post workout?

Any advice and thoughts?