Feel like I’m banging my head against a wall!

Peckj02

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words and advice. It really does mean a lot and is very much appreciated.

I had my appointment yesterday and the dr actually listened to me he has prescribed me a new medication to add to the pot, Canagliftozin. He agreed with me that 6 months is too long to be waiting if it’s obvious after 3 that it’s not working. So will be starting this new tablet tomorrow. Have plenty of test strips and will be monitoring Bg closely and logging results ready to take back with me in 3 months ( I know I’ll have hba1c result but will be able to show daily log too) will also do food diary too.

Fingers crossed I’m finally going to be getting somewhere!

Thanks again for all the good luck wishes. I’m so lucky that we have this forum that we can turn to xx

Reactions: Brunneria

AnnStenekes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism, elitism,
Hi everyone,

I hope you don’t mind me having a little rant, but thoroughly fed up. I was diagnosed type 2 sept 16 (although had gestational diabetes with youngest son 8years earlier)

I was started on metformin but couldn’t tolerate it or the slow release version. Was so Ill with it. However when I was taking it it worked and brought my hba1c down to 41.

Then went on to glicazide eventually raising to the maximum dose. Hba1c kept going up not down so 6mnths ago was started on alogliptin too. After 3 months on it hba1c went from 62 up to 70 was told that I had to be on it for 6 months before they would change it. Have now had my 6 month check and hba1c has now gone up to 75. Plainly the medication is not working properly.

Made an appointment for yesterday to see them about latest results and hoped to get a medication change only to wait 50mins as they were running late, to be told “I don’t know why they’ve booked you in with me as I can’t prescribe anything” not the nurses fault I know but so frustrating nearly burst into tears in the room. Have now got an appointment with the dr for Monday. I am just so fed up have definitely got burn out from it all. Can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for letting me have a moan x
I found the meds were hopeless and now only do insulin. Takes getting used to but heaps better control. Also there is nothing wrong with going to an endocrinologist.

Zela16776

Hi everyone,

I hope you don’t mind me having a little rant, but thoroughly fed up. I was diagnosed type 2 sept 16 (although had gestational diabetes with youngest son 8years earlier)

I was started on metformin but couldn’t tolerate it or the slow release version. Was so Ill with it. However when I was taking it it worked and brought my hba1c down to 41.

Then went on to glicazide eventually raising to the maximum dose. Hba1c kept going up not down so 6mnths ago was started on alogliptin too. After 3 months on it hba1c went from 62 up to 70 was told that I had to be on it for 6 months before they would change it. Have now had my 6 month check and hba1c has now gone up to 75. Plainly the medication is not working properly.

Made an appointment for yesterday to see them about latest results and hoped to get a medication change only to wait 50mins as they were running late, to be told “I don’t know why they’ve booked you in with me as I can’t prescribe anything” not the nurses fault I know but so frustrating nearly burst into tears in the room. Have now got an appointment with the dr for Monday. I am just so fed up have definitely got burn out from it all. Can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for letting me have a moan x

You will have had a lot of advice flooding in. I have been diagnosed T2 for over 40 years, and have had to work things out for myself, with some help from nurses on the way. Metformin and other tablets works for a while - finally I managed to get them to put me on insulin. Don't know if this is expensive but for me it made all the difference as I can'fine tune' my doses according to what i eat....
I ave a Medium fat, Lowish Carb diet ! Carbs are the evil ones, but I also quit eating anything with wheat in it (sort of gluten-free) . For several years now my advisors have been moaning that my control is too good.! I do get the odd hypoglycaemic incident, which worries them ..But I am good !
Try not eating wheat, lower carbs and enquiring about insulin. Good luck !

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
my advisors have been moaning that my control is too good.!

Would I be right in thinking that their opinion is based on just an HbA1c? I'm interested because my father is type II on insulin and always gets a pat on the back from the GP/DN. When you look at his well kept written records he's not recording hypers and from speaking to him he's also having what I call hypo close calls (I think he might use hypos as an excuse to eat chocolate). So, basically his overall control is poor, but his medical team seem to just go by the HbA1c. At 91, I'm amazed he's got this far, but I'll not be able to change the chocolate habit and at 91 I probably don't want to.

Reactions: dbr10

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No advice other than a book recommendation written by a clinician Jason Fung who got fed up with treating daibetics but not making them any better - The Diabetes Code - on Amazon and check him out on You Tube. Canegeflozin is one of the newer class of drugs that help you excrete glucose via the kidneys. Fung rates them as being better for compications such as CVD and kidney disease than metformin but as with all drugs they come with complications e.g. higher risk of UTI..Nothing is ever straight forward with drugs and I would agree with all on here that diet is the best long term solution to reversing your condition! I can't reverse mine but my interest in type 2 is professional plus have close family going down the slippery slope of more and more drugs/complications which you have seen yourself. Good luck and do keep posting!

Reactions: ziggy_w and dbr10

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
More and more drugs all the time means one thing, more risk of complications........from the drugs themselves and from the fact that your blood sugar continues to rise.
I kinow you probably don't want to hear this, but you must take responsibility for your own health!
Too many diabetics of whatever type tend to sit back once on medication and just keep eating the same old diet.......and the blood sugar rises and rises.
You probably think that the low carb diet is a fad diet.........however, one thing that's really bad for diabetics is carbs. Remove them from your diet and you will see a huge difference. However, you will also need to be careful that you do not lower your blood sugars too much with the medication at the same time, so this is probably best done with the advice and support of your nurse and doctor. I would tell them I wanted to make some dietary changes, and ask them for advice.
I managed to lower my HBA1C from 80 odds to 42 in six months. It wasn't difficult, and I have never felt starved by eating low carb.
I would urge any diabetic to try it It really does work wonders.
There is plenty of information out there. Lots of online proponents to choose from. Dr Richard Bernstein, Andreas Eenfeldt (www.dietdoctor.com), Jason Fung(may or may not be your cup of tea), lots of facebook pages, eg revering diabetes or type2 diabetes rebels.
I hope you can manage to get this under control.
[

sarahmorter2

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hang in there! Sadly the medical profession are genuinely under so much pressure they seem to have lost sight of the fact they are here to help us, the public! I've found self help to be more reliable for sure. I know T2 is a very personal experience but for me the key is diet. I'm an engineer so tend to focus on technical things (includes medical!).
Exercise is good, but being merciless on cutting carbs is still the best way. I've identified foods that I absolutely can't go near (any pizza, any sausage, any bread) and all other carbs I actively try to do without. The oddity is that I have a spoonful of honey with fresh garlic chopped into it every morning and that doesn't upset my BG at all? Go figure. And Good Luck!

Ewww! garlic with honey.. :) I love both, but I'm not sure about the mixture!!

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have plenty of test strips and will be monitoring Bg closely and logging results ready to take back with me in 3 months ( I know I’ll have hba1c result but will be able to show daily log too) will also do food diary too.

If you test just before meals, then at 1 hour and 2 hoursw after, it will give you a better idea of how you react to certain ingredients in a meal, and you will be able to see what spikes you and what doesn't.
The idea being that you have a baseline to test from. At 1 hour, you shouldn't spike more than 20 points, if you do, then that food may not be right for you. At 2 hours you should be back to your baseline premeal reading, more or less.

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ewww! garlic with honey.. :) I love both, but I'm not sure about the mixture!!
Oddly if you leave it a day or so the honey overpowers the garlic pretty much completely. Although 'lumpy' honey is a texture that's a bit unexpected. :)

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rant away, at least you will be listened to and advised in many ways here! Life is a hard enough journey without having to fight the system as well. My two pennyworth would be to keep on testing and finding out what you can and cannot eat without spiking your BG level. It can be surprising. I found out in the last few weeks, I can eat cod in batter (from the freezer dept, not the chip shop), but plaice in breadcrumbs (very thin coating I thought) gave me the biggest spike I have seen. Try things at different times of the day. I cannot eat any cereals at breakfast time, but can get away with my home made wholemeal bread later in the day. We seem to be all different so you will have to find your own way on this one. You only have to read the forum posts to see the health service is a lottery, and you should not expect miracles from them. Don't give up, get mean and determined. You really can make a big difference yourself.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
More and more drugs all the time means one thing, more risk of complications........from the drugs themselves and from the fact that your blood sugar continues to rise.
I kinow you probably don't want to hear this, but you must take responsibility for your own health!
Too many diabetics of whatever type tend to sit back once on medication and just keep eating the same old diet.......and the blood sugar rises and rises.
[
I think you are right, in terms of most people, but there are others for whom this is not the case, for various individual medical reasons. I agree that we all must take responsibility for our own health, and what we eat is the foundation of effective treatment.

If one or more drugs are added to a good eating plan, it won't necessarily mean rising BG or major complications. If a side effect is mild and tolerable, an individual may consider it worth it for the benefits, especially if there are good reasons why their level of carb reduction isn't as low as another's.