Tired of trying, bad management or bad pancreas?

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My carbs are always non starchy veg and never above 20g - sorry you are struggling and for my clumsy post I’m new here.!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs must be 20g max per day ...
IMO "must" is not an appropriate word to use here. I would tend to agree that if Runica has not seen her bgs go down to a satisfactory level by eating 50g carbs daily, 20 or 30g daily might do the trick. BUT I also know by my own experience that 20 to 30g carbs daily is a hard row to hoe, and not suitable for everyone in all circumstances. Runica is a grown-up person and she alone truly knows what strategy will suit her best at this time. Especially as she has already tried a keto diet and not felt it suited her. Maybe some well-chosen meds might give her the boost she needs to face up to low carb again.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My carbs are always non starchy veg and never above 20g - sorry you are struggling and for my clumsy post I’m new here.!
Sorry Kerrygold, my post crossed with yours. I do love your pseudo. Wish I had thought of it for myself! If you are interested and search you might find a long thread all about butter and the virtues (and cost) of Kerrygold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenny15

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or, maybe some of them are too impatient perhaps?;) One size does not fit all.

Do you remember what your A1c was when you went off Glic? And what dose were you taking? Thanks.
Hello @Jenny15

A potted history of my A1c:
Aug 17 diagnosed at 108 and prescribed Metformin, started to cut carbs
Nov 17 was 87, starting to struggle with the medication, continued carb reduction
Jan 18 I changed to Gliclazide three times a day and took carbs below 50g
Feb carbs below 20g, but gave this up after about 3 weeks
March A1c of 51 with carbs about 50g a day, came off the Glic whose only side effect was to make me hungry
And here I am.

Initial diagnosis was a bit of a shock, I had passed an oral glucose tolerance test when pregnant 5 years previously, and no concerns were ever raised by the midwife on my standard visits when she would always check for sugar in the urine along with the other dip stick tests. I only had the diagnosis as we moved house and registered with a new doctor.

The thing is, I read so many wonderful success stories on here and want to follow suit. After 5 months of trying, I find my sugar levels just bouncing back up to dangerous levels and cannot fathom why. Fasting levels are about 9 and always have been, even on medication. Perhaps those who are not so successful on a LCHF diet just don't post so much?

I've just ordered some more keto sticks to ensure I'm always in ketosis, and I will push a little harder. Back on the meds, I think, for me.

Thanks for the friendly listening x

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hello @Jenny15

A potted history of my A1c:
Aug 17 diagnosed at 108 and prescribed Metformin, started to cut carbs
Nov 17 was 87, starting to struggle with the medication, continued carb reduction
Jan 18 I changed to Gliclazide three times a day and took carbs below 50g
Feb carbs below 20g, but gave this up after about 3 weeks
March A1c of 51 with carbs about 50g a day, came off the Glic whose only side effect was to make me hungry
And here I am.

Initial diagnosis was a bit of a shock, I had passed an oral glucose tolerance test when pregnant 5 years previously, and no concerns were ever raised by the midwife on my standard visits when she would always check for sugar in the urine along with the other dip stick tests. I only had the diagnosis as we moved house and registered with a new doctor.

The thing is, I read so many wonderful success stories on here and want to follow suit. After 5 months of trying, I find my sugar levels just bouncing back up to dangerous levels and cannot fathom why. Fasting levels are about 9 and always have been, even on medication. Perhaps those who are not so successful on a LCHF diet just don't post so much?

I've just ordered some more keto sticks to ensure I'm always in ketosis, and I will push a little harder. Back on the meds, I think, for me.

Thanks for the friendly listening x
My pleasure, @Runica. Can I just stop for a moment and remind you how very well you have done and are doing?

No two people with T2 are the same, and IMHO anyone who thinks this or that eating approach or meds approach can be applied to others without individualization according to their needs, wants and environment is not being realistic (or respectful).

Not sure whether it's due to my own challenging health situation right now or what it is, but I am increasingly looking to keep things simple: For those with high BG levels, those levels must come down. How they come down is not as important as getting them down, in the first instance.

It's lovely when people are passionate about a T2 management approach and they fervently wish more of us would adopt it with the same passion they do. But the boundary line needs to be drawn there.

I am sure you will find the right way for you at this place and time. We will be here to cheer you along.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure whether it's due to my own challenging health situation right now or what it is, but I am increasingly looking to keep things simple: For those with high BG levels, those levels must come down. How they come down is not as important as getting them down, in the first instance.
I totally agree. For me, this is the gold standard. For some lucky people getting bgs down seems to be pretty straightforward, but for me even with both very low carb AND high dose Metformin, it is certainly not proving easy to achieve Dr Bernstein's "normal" bgs. @Jenny15 it looks from your signature as if you are having a torrid time with your A1cs. I do hope things improve and stabilise soon.

Reactions: Runica

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi charliebarker, I normally have at least one day a week without eating, I never eat before 11am and only ate breakfast when I had to take meds. I allow myself 100ml double cream on non-eating days, not exactly fasting, I know, but I'm a big coffee addict and I would throw toddler tantrums without it :banghead::arghh::banghead:

I think, looking at the experience of others here, that I'm just too impatient!

I was soooo impatient when I started....keep at it and I’m sure it’ll all kick in properly soon ! Just had my yearly HBA1C....down from 70 to 37 !!! The hard work is worth it !

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I totally agree. For me, this is the gold standard. For some lucky people getting bgs down seems to be pretty straightforward, but for me even with both very low carb AND high dose Metformin, it is certainly not proving easy to achieve Dr Bernstein's "normal" bgs. @Jenny15 it looks from your signature as if you are having a torrid time with your A1cs. I do hope things improve and stabilise soon.
Thanks and sorry for not replying earlier, just seen this now.

I finally managed to get my BGs going downward after starting on a low dose of long acting insulin (hopefully just short term) and getting past a UTI that was messing them up. I don't know how long I had the UTI but it could have been 1-3 weeks, at least. I don't get bladder symptoms until at least a week into the nausea and fatigue. Pesky things, they are.

Because of factors unique to me, I decided along with my medical team to trial insulin so as to get faster results, to reduce the short term risks that come with high BGs. It may have been possible to get results without insulin but I didn't have the physical or mental energy to keep trying after 6 months of it.

I put some links in my signature for the benefit of others, since there aren't many people posting about T2 insulin success stories here. I realize some people end up on insulin without trying dietary changes but I'm not in that group.