T1monty

Hi everyone
I have read a few posts on here but this is my first. I’m posting to get some encouragement I guess. I’m 26. I have had diabetes all my life and my husband and I have been trying for a baby and landed pregnant in month 1!
We are delighted and can’t wait but I’m so worried about my blood sugars. My last hba1c was 67 in March. I am now trying my absolute best to get the tightest control possible but am finding in the day I can stay between 4-10. However if I want something sweet in the evening I am flying up and at least once a day I’m getting readings of 13 or higher, I had 21 a few days ago and it’s freaked me out! I have been told all the bad things that can happen and have had the fear of god put into me since I was 15 so I’m really worried I’m doing damage.
Has anyone else Been in a similar position? Is this normal ? Any comments welcomed!!!
S xx

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @T1monty, Congratulations! It sounds as though you’re taking good care of yourself and I understand your bs concerns.
It’s many years now since I was pregnant but I remember that my insulin needs steadily increased during the pregnancies.
Do you use a cgm? If not then investing in one now and downloading Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder May give you the tools to keep your bs steady and within range.
As far as I know, the occasional high won’t badly affect your baby, I think the main risk is from consistently high bs.
Have you got a good set of medics overseeing your progress? You should really be with a hospital diabetic pregnancy team and should have regular appointments throughout your pregnancy.

Reactions: Dodo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Firstly many congratulations @T1monty :)

I had a pregnancy with gestational many years ago now, before I became t1, I know how the anxieties can play out in your mind with control so getting your team on your side to help monitor your control is vital, they should be able to offer you a CGM to help guide you through these months, as well as regular check ups too. Diabetes babies can of course have a bigger birth weight than those without as they feed off high glucose levels, so it's important to eat healthy as much as you can, I know the energy levels are drained but if you can keep say low carb snacks to hand in the evening when you get cravings it will help your control, so cheese, dairy, olives, nuts that type of thing and in turn save your BG levels going through the roof too.

My daughter was born at 9lb 7 and was a large baby born at 37 weeks, she was and is today a very healthy girl, so sending you hugs for your little one too, best wishes J.

T1monty

Hi @T1monty, Congratulations! It sounds as though you’re taking good care of yourself and I understand your bs concerns.
It’s many years now since I was pregnant but I remember that my insulin needs steadily increased during the pregnancies.
Do you use a cgm? If not then investing in one now and downloading Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder May give you the tools to keep your bs steady and within range.
As far as I know, the occasional high won’t badly affect your baby, I think the main risk is from consistently high bs.
Have you got a good set of medics overseeing your progress? You should really be with a hospital diabetic pregnancy team and should have regular appointments throughout your pregnancy.
Thank you so so much for getting in touch !! I have heard of that sugar surfing before so I will definitely look into that! Is a CGM like the libre? I have had a trial of this for 2 weeks and it was really helpful so I’m going to ask at my next appointment next week if I can get it .. it’s my first scan at around 7 weeks .. exciting ! My diabetes medical team at my hospital are normally fab. I just feel a bit like they aren’t as interested until I’m another few weeks gone but everything I have read says the early weeks are the most crucial ! So this is really helpful .. thank you! X

T1monty

Firstly many congratulations @T1monty :)

I had a pregnancy with gestational many years ago now, before I became t1, I know how the anxieties can play out in your mind with control so getting your team on your side to help monitor your control is vital, they should be able to offer you a CGM to help guide you through these months, as well as regular check ups too. Diabetes babies can of course have a bigger birth weight than those without as they feed off high glucose levels, so it's important to eat healthy as much as you can, I know the energy levels are drained but if you can keep say low carb snacks to hand in the evening when you get cravings it will help your control, so cheese, dairy, olives, nuts that type of thing and in turn save your BG levels going through the roof too.

My daughter was born at 9lb 7 and was a large baby born at 37 weeks, she was and is today a very healthy girl, so sending you hugs for your little one too, best wishes J.
Thank you so so much! That’s so helpful and I think that’s a great idea the low carb snacks .. I’m going to go and stock up! Yes even though it’s so early I just feel drained which makes me want to eat carbs it’s such a vicious cycle! So lovely and reassuring to hear about your little girl ❤️ Thank you so much xx

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling tired and drained is part of the first-three-months syndrome so even if you snack on nuts, olives, cheese and carrots you may still feel worn out. Your body’s building a lot of important stuff like a placenta and extra blood vessels for it, as well as a baby, so feeling drained‘s not surprising.
My babies were the opposite of large. The unit that oversaw the first one was keen to keep us all on a very tight low bs regime, which meant a fair number of hypos, which wasn’t a good idea. But like I said, this was before personal bs testing was available. They were keen to ensure that babies with diabetic mothers didn’t have any of the problems associated with high bs in the mother. My first daughter was 5lbs 14oz at 38 weeks. She was alert and physically well-knit, she still is, and she was very active. My second, 5lbs 7oz at 37 weeks, was a bit tiny but I think that I’d been overkeen to mimic the regime of the first team. We’d moved and the local diabetes management team weren’t geared up for preventing problems: they expected us all to have babies that were 10lbs+ !!!!!
Both my daughters have grown up to be bright, physically fit, modern women. OK, I’m a proud mummy, stick me under a cold tap and turn the water on! I’m a granny too but I won’t start on that. Enough.
With cgm, continuous glucose monitoring, ie a libre or dexcom, it should be much easier to maintain good levels without too many hypos, so one day I expect that you, too, will be having to squash the public mummy-pride.

T1monty

Feeling tired and drained is part of the first-three-months syndrome so even if you snack on nuts, olives, cheese and carrots you may still feel worn out. Your body’s building a lot of important stuff like a placenta and extra blood vessels for it, as well as a baby, so feeling drained‘s not surprising.
My babies were the opposite of large. The unit that oversaw the first one was keen to keep us all on a very tight low bs regime, which meant a fair number of hypos, which wasn’t a good idea. But like I said, this was before personal bs testing was available. They were keen to ensure that babies with diabetic mothers didn’t have any of the problems associated with high bs in the mother. My first daughter was 5lbs 14oz at 38 weeks. She was alert and physically well-knit, she still is, and she was very active. My second, 5lbs 7oz at 37 weeks, was a bit tiny but I think that I’d been overkeen to mimic the regime of the first team. We’d moved and the local diabetes management team weren’t geared up for preventing problems: they expected us all to have babies that were 10lbs+ !!!!!
Both my daughters have grown up to be bright, physically fit, modern women. OK, I’m a proud mummy, stick me under a cold tap and turn the water on! I’m a granny too but I won’t start on that. Enough.
With cgm, continuous glucose monitoring, ie a libre or dexcom, it should be much easier to maintain good levels without too many hypos, so one day I expect that you, too, will be having to squash the public mummy-pride.
Wow that’s so interesting! Thank you so much. I’m going to ask about the libre next week definitely! Can’t wait to be part of the mummy club so I can be as proud as you!!

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone
I have read a few posts on here but this is my first. I’m posting to get some encouragement I guess. I’m 26. I have had diabetes all my life and my husband and I have been trying for a baby and landed pregnant in month 1!
We are delighted and can’t wait but I’m so worried about my blood sugars. My last hba1c was 67 in March. I am now trying my absolute best to get the tightest control possible but am finding in the day I can stay between 4-10. However if I want something sweet in the evening I am flying up and at least once a day I’m getting readings of 13 or higher, I had 21 a few days ago and it’s freaked me out! I have been told all the bad things that can happen and have had the fear of god put into me since I was 15 so I’m really worried I’m doing damage.
Has anyone else Been in a similar position? Is this normal ? Any comments welcomed!!!
S xx

Congratulations! Brilliant news
I agree with all the previous comments.
If you fancy low carb treats a few of my favourite include sugar free jelly, raspberries/blueberries with cream, wheyhey protein ice cream, rhubarb and cinnamon, peanut butter and walnuts or even a small chocolate treat... I made these tonight...
IMG_9048.jpg

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, me again. I’ve been thinking about what you said Your HbA1C was, and the levels you’ve been experiencing. Can you afford to get a libre yourself rather than wait for the medics to give you one? The sensors are currently available from Superdrug for £35 each and last two weeks. I don’t know if Superdrug could order you a reader too if you need one but you may not. It depends what phone you use as there’s an app you can get that turns your phone into a reader.
I’m not a good person to advise on the tech really so I’m going to tag @Mel dCP who’s used a libre and Sugar Surfing to reduce her HbA1c to 43, or was it 42, using a cgm and the technique in Sugar Surfing. She’s also gone very low carb but I’ve not, I still eat about 90-110g of carb a day and using a similar approach, with the libre, my last HbA1c was 42.
There’s a device called a blucon that attaches to the libre which allows you to set up alarms when you go too high or too low, and that could be very very useful for you.
Clearly, with all the changes in insulin needs that come with pregnancy, you’ll need to be confident about using the information a libre gives you to make those changes, preferably with the advice of a good clued up DSN and doc. If your DSN is good at supporting tight control, and will enter text communications with you, that would be ideal.
I really wish all this tech had been around 40 years ago when I was having my first baby. It’d have made it sooooo much easier. It was worth it all though!

Last edited:
Reactions: mytype1.life

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Many, many congratulations on your pregnancy! It’s an exciting, knackering and amazing time :)

Thanks @Fairygodmother for the tag, I do use Libre and the Sugar Surfing book helped me get the best from the data it gives. The author is T1 himself, as well as a doctor. He’s not especially low carb either, which just goes to show you can eat what you normally do once you learn how to read the information the Libre is giving. I’d really recommend it, especially as your insulin needs change so much during pregnancy. I also wish I’d had that tech when I was pregnant with my son, but I managed ok, and had a very healthy 7lb4oz baby boy at 38 weeks - he’s 15 this month. Also a disgustingly proud mummy, I’m afraid - for many reasons, but he’s saved my life twice by calling an ambulance when I had DKA, he was only 7 at the time.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

T1monty

Congratulations! Brilliant news
I agree with all the previous comments.
If you fancy low carb treats a few of my favourite include sugar free jelly, raspberries/blueberries with cream, wheyhey protein ice cream, rhubarb and cinnamon, peanut butter and walnuts or even a small chocolate treat... I made these tonight... View attachment 26851
Some brilliant ideas! Thank you so much ! I’m going to be stocking up and that looks lovely what you’ve made .. yum!!! Xxx

T1monty

Many, many congratulations on your pregnancy! It’s an exciting, knackering and amazing time :)

Thanks @Fairygodmother for the tag, I do use Libre and the Sugar Surfing book helped me get the best from the data it gives. The author is T1 himself, as well as a doctor. He’s not especially low carb either, which just goes to show you can eat what you normally do once you learn how to read the information the Libre is giving. I’d really recommend it, especially as your insulin needs change so much during pregnancy. I also wish I’d had that tech when I was pregnant with my son, but I managed ok, and had a very healthy 7lb4oz baby boy at 38 weeks - he’s 15 this month. Also a disgustingly proud mummy, I’m afraid - for many reasons, but he’s saved my life twice by calling an ambulance when I had DKA, he was only 7 at the time.
Thank you so much. I’m really pleasantly surprised at how much fantastic support you can get from this forum .. I really thought I wouldn’t get a response and am overwhelmed with everyone so willing to help and share stories !! That’s so amazing . He sounds like a lovely young man! Thank you for your recommendation too .. I’m definitley going to look into it! Xxx

T1monty

Hi, me again. I’ve been thinking about what you said Your HbA1C was, and the levels you’ve been experiencing. Can you afford to get a libre yourself rather than wait for the medics to give you one? The sensors are currently available from Superdrug for £35 each and last two weeks. I don’t know if Superdrug could order you a reader too if you need one but you may not. It depends what phone you use as there’s an app you can get that turns your phone into a reader.
I’m not a good person to advise on the tech really so I’m going to tag @Mel dCP who’s used a libre and Sugar Surfing to reduce her HbA1c to 43, or was it 42, using a cgm and the technique in Sugar Surfing. She’s also gone very low carb but I’ve not, I still eat about 90-110g of carb a day and using a similar approach, with the libre, my last HbA1c was 42.
There’s a device called a blucon that attaches to the libre which allows you to set up alarms when you go too high or too low, and that could be very very useful for you.
Clearly, with all the changes in insulin needs that come with pregnancy, you’ll need to be confident about using the information a libre gives you to make those changes, preferably with the advice of a good clued up DSN and doc. If your DSN is good at supporting tight control, and will enter text communications with you, that would be ideal.
I really wish all this tech had been around 40 years ago when I was having my first baby. It’d have made it sooooo much easier. It was worth it all though!
Gosh that’s reasonable as they were £50 weren’t they! I have a reader already from when I did the trial so I might just get one to tie me over and then hopefully my consultant will push for me to get them on prescription! The blucon sounds fab .. do you know where I could get this from? I have just ordered the sugar surfing book so looking forward to reading it and getting more eductated on the whole thing ! Can’t believe there is still so much to learn after 26 years of having T1! I know the technology is brilliant .. we are definitely getting closer to a cure .. one day! Xxx

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You can get the blucon from ambrosia systems
https://www.ambrosiasys.com/
People say that the miaomiao is good too but I’m not sure if it allows you to set up alerts for when you’re high or low. There’s a thread on them all somewhere in the forum.
https://www.miaomiao.cool/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3fO82JK92wIVyp3tCh1pgQsLEAAYASAAEgL0NvD_BwE
I use neither though I’ve thought of getting a blucon but don’t want to move from rom iPhone to android. I have pretty good physical signs for being high or low. However, I remember that being close to the edge in bs during pregnancy I did lose hypo awareness so alerts would have been fantastic then.
I’m really really glad you find this forum good - I think it’s great and even though I’ve had T1 for 48 years I’ve learned masses here!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This vid on youtube explains about the Bluecon and how it works, but @Scott-C is the expert on it!

@Fairygodmother you can use it with iPhones too, you need the Spike app, which you need to apply to get it via their website - https://spike-app.com/ I got it in readiness for when I get enough money together to buy a transmitter. I’m hoping I can then ping the data to my crusty old Pebble smartwatch.

I was going to get the Bluecon Nightrider, but a few things put me off, and I think I’ll be getting the MiaoMiao instead, although I may have changed my mind again tomorrow! The MM is waterproof, rechargeable and has a lower profile, as well as being said to be more reliable. The BN is a bit cheaper, has been around for longer, but requires new batteries regularly, isn’t waterproof and more than doubles the height of the sensor, which for me would make it more liable to getting knocked off. I’m also concerned about pulling my sensor out when dismounting the BN for a bath or shower. But the MiaoMiao sits to the side of the sensor, with just a small overlap, so the whole assembly LOOKS bigger. The same chap who did the first video I linked to has also done a pretty comprehensive comparison (spoiler alert, he preferred MM):

Dizzylish78

I’m 24 weeks pregnant and only found out last week that I’ve been misdiagnosed (1 year ago) as t2 when I’m actually t1. I’ve been managing it with diet only but was craving carbs at start of pregnancy (but no meds so untreated) Was told I need to eat carbs but potentially unwittingly damaged babies heart in first few months. I have the babies first cardiac scan today. I manage my insulin dose myself so increase depending on my levels. I’m under consultant care and write down all my meals and bs b4 and after and adapt insulin units as necessary. Have to admit it’s a scary time bring pregnant with diabetics but I’m sure it’ll work out fine and we’ll both end up with healthy babies. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @T1monty, how are you? I imagine you’ve been at work as we’ve not heard from you. Hope the tiredness hasn’t been laying you too low at the end of the day.

T1monty

You can get the blucon from ambrosia systems
https://www.ambrosiasys.com/
People say that the miaomiao is good too but I’m not sure if it allows you to set up alerts for when you’re high or low. There’s a thread on them all somewhere in the forum.
https://www.miaomiao.cool/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3fO82JK92wIVyp3tCh1pgQsLEAAYASAAEgL0NvD_BwE
I use neither though I’ve thought of getting a blucon but don’t want to move from rom iPhone to android. I have pretty good physical signs for being high or low. However, I remember that being close to the edge in bs during pregnancy I did lose hypo awareness so alerts would have been fantastic then.
I’m really really glad you find this forum good - I think it’s great and even though I’ve had T1 for 48 years I’ve learned masses here!
Brilliant .. I’m going to have a good read up of all these extra things that can help me. I read the first chapter of the sugar surfing book last night ! Xx

T1monty

I’m 24 weeks pregnant and only found out last week that I’ve been misdiagnosed (1 year ago) as t2 when I’m actually t1. I’ve been managing it with diet only but was craving carbs at start of pregnancy (but no meds so untreated) Was told I need to eat carbs but potentially unwittingly damaged babies heart in first few months. I have the babies first cardiac scan today. I manage my insulin dose myself so increase depending on my levels. I’m under consultant care and write down all my meals and bs b4 and after and adapt insulin units as necessary. Have to admit it’s a scary time bring pregnant with diabetics but I’m sure it’ll work out fine and we’ll both end up with healthy babies. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Oh wow a huge congratulations to you! Your absolutely right we will be just fine it’s just really nice to have somewhere where like minded people or just knowing someone else is going through the same struggle ! I’m sure it’s 100% going to be worth it for us! Best of luck and look forward to updating you and hearing how you get on! Xxx