Type 2 Is It Possible I’m Type 1

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s been a while since I’ve posted , was diagnosed October 2017 and since then been trying to get a grip with this condition...initially prescribed 2 x 500mg metformin a day...after 3 months HbA1c dropped to 83 from 95 so then onto 4 x 500mg per day..three months later, despite feeling better HbA1c dropped to 80 so then prescribed gliclazide 1 x 40mg once a day...stopped eating the bad things bread, rice pasta etc and try to low carb during the day but evening meals may be letting me down...anyway numbers over the last few weeks have been encouraging 6.3 mmol being the lowest but this week creeping back to 10.8...I’ve only done the one fasting meter reading and that was 10.8

I’m also 9st 8 with a bmi bordering on the lean side so weight has never been an issue, question is with all this medication and better eating should mmol numbers be nearer the 5.5/6 ???

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends what you call better eating. What are you having for evening meals that is letting you down?

Are you testing before each meal and again 2 hours later, keeping a food diary, and looking at the meals/food that raises you more than 2mmol/l?

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends what you call better eating. What are you having for evening meals that is letting you down?

Are you testing before each meal and again 2 hours later, keeping a food diary, and looking at the meals/food that raises you more than 2mmol/l?

Evening meals varies the usual meats such as chicken, beef, pizza etc, and I know it’s bad, with them I’ll have a few potato wedges or chips...

As for testing DN said to only test every few days...I’m doing it once a day but I see on here that you guys are testing a lot more regularly

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Without testing you have no idea what your sugars are doing. If you build a data picture then you/your team can make better decisions.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening meals varies the usual meats such as chicken, beef, pizza etc, and I know it’s bad, with them I’ll have a few potato wedges or chips...

As for testing DN said to only test every few days...I’m doing it once a day but I see on here that you guys are testing a lot more regularly
Pizza, potatoes...? Yeah, your numbers don't surprise me. Most people here test regularly, and especially when figuring out how your body responds to certain foods, six times a day or more, isn't unusual. Before eating and two hours after first bite is the best way to check what is okay and what isn't, (if numbers go up more than 2 mmol/l it was more than your body could handle), except in the case of pizza... Due to the high fat content, the peak comes hours later, but it inevitably comes. And more often than not, the pizza peak is huge. Consider if it's worth it to you. Just something to think about. And hey, Fathead pizza is a low carb option... Google it. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Those evening meals are why your levels are still too high and not decreasing. Nothing wrong with the chicken and beef (as long as there is no coating on the meat, no sauces or gravy). The rest I think you know are not good choices.

You really do need to start testing these meals properly. Once a day is of no use at all to you - what are you learning from it? Nothing. Keep a food diary. Test before you eat. Test again 2 hours after your first bite. Record these results in your diary. If the rise from before to after is more than 2mmol/l (preferably a lot less) then there were too many carbs in that meal for your body to cope with. You can then reduce the portion size or eliminate some of the carbs.

As you are on Gliclazide you need to test regularly anyway, and if you find yourself getting low consistently, you need to discuss this with your nurse with a view to reducing the dose. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin. The fewer carbs we eat, the less insulin is needed. Too much insulin and our levels can drop low.

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pizza, potatoes...? Yeah, your numbers don't surprise me. Most people here test regularly, and especially when figuring out how your body responds to certain foods, six times a day or more, isn't unusual. Before eating and two hours after first bite is the best way to check what is okay and what isn't, (if numbers go up more than 2 mmol/l it was more than your body could handle), except in the case of pizza... Due to the high fat content, the peak comes hours later, but it inevitably comes. And more often than not, the pizza peak is huge. Consider if it's worth it to you. Just something to think about. And hey, Fathead pizza is a low carb option... Google it. :)

Thanks for that much appreciated

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those evening meals are why your levels are still too high and not decreasing. Nothing wrong with the chicken and beef (as long as there is no coating on the meat, no sauces or gravy). The rest I think you know are not good choices.

You really do need to start testing these meals properly. Once a day is of no use at all to you - what are you learning from it? Nothing. Keep a food diary. Test before you eat. Test again 2 hours after your first bite. Record these results in your diary. If the rise from before to after is more than 2mmol/l (preferably a lot less) then there were too many carbs in that meal for your body to cope with. You can then reduce the portion size or eliminate some of the carbs.

As you are on Gliclazide you need to test regularly anyway, and if you find yourself getting low consistently, you need to discuss this with your nurse with a view to reducing the dose. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin. The fewer carbs we eat, the less insulin is needed. Too much insulin and our levels can drop low.

Thank you for the advice