Sorry For The Specificness

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously that incident had a profound affect on you, do you fully understand what went wrong with that incident?
its nothing that happened to y bs its a much bigger thing xx

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10g of houmous is 1,4g for what it's worth (@ around £1/100g), tuna shows zero carbs and a lot of protein and a tin of Morrison's savers tuna chunks is 80p.

I know you're not asking for 0 carb options, but protein is weight gain (in general) so could be worth tasting (unless you don't like tuna)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Food is lovely, what happened to create a fear of it?
I was diagnosed with diabetic macular oedema a month after the type 1 diagnosis, a fellow type 1 then said the oedema was all my fault as I had been eating carbs and still was, that installed a huge fear of carbs :'( xx

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You will need weighing scales and small volume measures to achieve this degree of precision. CHJO = carhohydrate.
For example, 10 g of chia seeds gives you 1.5.g CHO, similarly, 2g of a drinking chocolate provides 1.5 g CHO,
12 mls of Heinz Tomato ketchup (Less Added Sugar and Salt variety gives 1.5 g CHO, 166 g of organic black sesame seeds provides 1.5 g CHO, 1/3 of a single square of Lindt's Premium Dark Dessert Chocolate is 1.5 g CHO, 68 mls of Vitasoy Soy milk = 1.5 g CHO. Need I say more ! Good luck.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with diabetic macular oedema a month after the type 1 diagnosis, a fellow type 1 then said the oedema was all my fault as I had been eating carbs and still was, that installed a huge fear of carbs :'( xx

That's very unhelpful. Yes, complications are a result of poor blood glucose management, but, and this is an important but, some people just seem to be more susceptible to complications than others, which is unfair, but reality. I have been quite lucky, I have had periods of very bad control, but no complications, where other people who have had better control than me, have been less fortunate.

Yes, we can minimise complications, by careful blood glucose control, but that is easier for some than others. Blame is very unhelpful in this.

Food is interesting. Food that is high in nutrients is good for the body, and assists the healing process. So all food, and all carbs aren't equal.

I'll have a look later, for you, and see if I can find which nutrients are most beneficial to eye health, and then we can have a look at what food you can eat that will be most beneficial for you. I need to do a few things just now, but I'll have a search this afternoon.

You can't stop eating, but what you want to do is eat food that is most beneficial for you. Bearing in mind the cost issues for you.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's very unhelpful. Yes, complications are a result of poor blood glucose management, but, and this is an important but, some people just seem to be more susceptible to complications than others, which is unfair, but reality. I have been quite lucky, I have had periods of very bad control, but no complications, where other people who have had better control than me, have been less fortunate.

Yes, we can minimise complications, by careful blood glucose control, but that is easier for some than others. Blame is very unhelpful in this.

Food is interesting. Food that is high in nutrients is good for the body, and assists the healing process. So all food, and all carbs aren't equal.

I'll have a look later, for you, and see if I can find which nutrients are most beneficial to eye health, and then we can have a look at what food you can eat that will be most beneficial for you. I need to do a few things just now, but I'll have a search this afternoon.

You can't stop eating, but what you want to do is eat food that is most beneficial for you. Bearing in mind the cost issues for you.
If you don't mind, if you do get back to me could we do it through pm?
The consultant says I'm just extremely unlucky as the diagnosis's were just a month apart so there's nothing I could've done as I didn't know I was diabetic xx

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't mind, if you do get back to me could we do it through pm?
The consultant says I'm just extremely unlucky as the diagnosis's were just a month apart so there's nothing I could've done as I didn't know I was diabetic xx

Ok, that's fine, I'll pm you later.

Reactions: kaylz91

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Mikado Milk Chocolate Biscuits, Each stick works out at 1.54g

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One Mcvitie Rich Tea Biscuit is proximately 6 gm carbs so one quarter of a rich tea biscuit should be about 1.5 gm of carbs.

Edit to add thats if it's humanly possible to eat just one quarter of a rich tea biscuit.:)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Oh gawd, you may have been unable to deal with carbs before diagnosis but it doesn’t follow that the oedema was all your fault - whoever said that has a few logic screws and a whole lot of empathy matter missing! How could it have been your fault? Before diagnosis you didn’t know you were T1, and therefore didn’t know that your bs were high or the effects of that.
If you were anything like I was before diagnosis then you were constantly hungry - before DKA set in.
After diagnosis carbs can be managed.
Time to ditch the guilt. And the fear. There’s no basis for it IMO.
I’m so sad that you had an experience like that ☹️

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh gawd, you may have been unable to deal with carbs before diagnosis but it doesn’t follow that the oedema was all your fault - whoever said that has a few logic screws and a whole lot of empathy matter missing! How could it have been your fault? Before diagnosis you didn’t know you were T1, and therefore didn’t know that your bs were high or the effects of that.
If you were anything like I was before diagnosis then you were constantly hungry - before DKA set in.
After diagnosis carbs can be managed.
Time to ditch the guilt. And the fear. There’s no basis for it IMO.
I’m so sad that you had an experience like that ☹️
I still am constantly hungry as with the psychological issues with food I'm not really eating enough xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Cucumber..

Reactions: becca59

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I still am constantly hungry as with the psychological issues with food I'm not really eating enough xx

Can you maybe begin carefully, with one thing at a time? You could monitor how your insulin ratio covers it and whether you need to adjust. When you’ve got it sussed then you could add another food.
Have you got carbs and Cals? It helps when doing all the calculations.
Try it? And Bon Voyage! It’ll be like setting off on an almost risk-free voyage of discovery.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you maybe begin carefully, with one thing at a time? You could monitor how your insulin ratio covers it and whether you need to adjust. When you’ve got it sussed then you could add another food.
Have you got carbs and Cals? It helps when doing all the calculations.
Try it? And Bon Voyage! It’ll be like setting off on an almost risk-free voyage of discovery.
I really cant, I've tried and I just panic and shake, its far too upsetting to deal with xx

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you discussed this with health professionals? Maybe some help’s needed to make your life less fearful. Hug.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you discussed this with health professionals? Maybe some help’s needed to make your life less fearful. Hug.
I was referred to see a psychologist but I had to turn the sessions down as I'm not strong enough and have travel problems with the 6 hour round journey every fortnight xx