"The Truth About Carbs"?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For us we need to avoid anything that breaks down into glucose, but most people without type2 just need to reduce the peak glucose hit, hence spreading it out does the job for them. I will not be starting on the frozen bread....

I also don't like the wholemeal breads they talked about, as most bread that is sold as wholemeal is mostly wight floor.

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, it was a good all round basic introduction to better nutrition. I did not shout once. Now we need a programme entitled 'The Truth about Fats' with emphasis on bad fats.
I was thinking more "The Truth About Fasts" that would really set the cat amongst the pigeons...

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also don't like the wholemeal breads they talked about, as most bread that is sold as wholemeal is mostly wight floor.
Although I think in fact they specifically said wholegrain and not wholemeal... I hope quite deliberately but they didn't really emphasise the difference enough. or did I mishear?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I think in fact they specifically said wholegrain and not wholemeal... I hope quite deliberately but they didn't really emphasise the difference enough. or did I mishear?

No, they didn't, but did say breads like Rye and sourdough.
I can't convince Mr. Blue about brown bread being the same as white and not the same as wholegrain.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought the vital info was introduced gently to not make too many waves, but the controversy about healthy fat eg dairy was ignored/avoided. It was far better than I feared, and likely has done some real good!

Reactions: dbr10

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know this bit about:
People often try to banish all carbs from their diets. As I know from personal experience, this can just make people miserable — and is therefore almost impossible to sustain
I do think that if people knew what a vital thing this was, they would change their mindset about it. For example, my friend is lactose and cheese intolerant. She loves cheese. But recognizes that she cant have it without bad stuff happening. There are a illion other foods she can have. Taking her intolerance seriously improves her life, making the mindset to make that choice easy
How I agree! As a long time chrionic migraine sufferer with a number of food triggers I pretty soon learned in a very agonizing way that I should avoid eating those particular foods. This "aversion therapy" has stood me in good stead since I've been diagnosed as T2 and has made eating low carbs a complete no brainer even if I won't get the same immediate and painful feedback from eating too many carbs...

He also said we now know eggs are not unhealthy! !
Well we always knew this before some yolkers in recent years declared otherwise, eggxactly the same as has been done with fats... :banghead::banghead:

The program was really good with very few questionable bits. The one thing that annoyed me was the quote that this doctor guy had just 'discovered/invented this low-carb stuff' as if all the feedback we have been providing for years never happened; pure professional doctor arrogance. 'We' invented it over the last few years and if they had listened and used a decent scientific approach the medical profession would have discovered low-carb years ago. You begin to wonder what else the doctors are getting badly wrong....
But we did know about and use it well over a century ago, a ketogenic diet was tried on diabetics by Rollo in the 1790s, Banting used a low carb diet for weight loss in the 19th century, and it was used for T1 diabetics pre insulin, and as further "proof" there's a copy of a low carb cookery book from the early 1900s available on the web. So why all this has been completely ignored has always been beyong my comprehension!

Robbity
PS And to cap it all, I'm shouting myself into a real diabetic tantrum - not at the TV but at the blasted BBC website - I missed the program for reasons I'll not go into here for fear of further ranting - and iPlayer is playing silly b*****s (self censored) with me and refusing work...:mad:

Reactions: dbr10

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoyed this overall but disagreed with the bit at the end about wholegrain bread - 99% of bread consumed by me for years was wholemeal/wholegrain and I still think it contributed to a large part of the carbs I consumed.

I found it fascinating on further research after the programme about Xand's own weight troubles when he said he used to be 19 stone - turns out he was prediabetic then and then lost weight eating one meal a day and is a fan of fasting! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-just-selection-recipes-Definitive-Diet.html

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking more "The Truth About Fasts" that would really set the cat amongst the pigeons...

Oh dear.
I managed to read this as ‘the truth about farts’.

Must be time i logged off. Haha!

Reactions: Tizdebz

Tizdebz

The best piece of advice I’ve been given so far (fairly recently diagnosed) is not to double up carbs. I asked what that meant and the answer was, if I have toast for breakfast then don’t have a sandwich for lunch. It certainly helped me start to make sense if it all. I enjoyed the program but think some long term diagnosed might have found it a bit patronising.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I enjoyed this overall but disagreed with the bit at the end about wholegrain bread - 99% of bread consumed by me for years was wholemeal/wholegrain and I still think it contributed to a large part of the carbs I consumed.

I found it fascinating on further research after the programme about Xand's own weight troubles when he said he used to be 19 stone - turns out he was prediabetic then and then lost weight eating one meal a day and is a fan of fasting! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-just-selection-recipes-Definitive-Diet.html

He also believes in CICO. If I read that link correctly

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He also believes in CICO. If I read that link correctly
I actually wonder how much he believes it and how much he uses it, as I suspect Michael Mosley may do, as a way of getting people to buy into the diet more as it's such a well-known method. Or because it's an easy way to put a limit on how much people are consuming each day.

He mentions following Dr David Ludwig's work - but Dr Ludwig hates CICO, so I wonder if he's being a bit disingenuous when he talks about calories.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
He believes it. He mentions it more than once!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd literally just been on the phone to my best friend, gleefully pronouncing that I beat T2D in less than a year and telling him that there was a program about carbs on shortly (my friends are fascinated / bewildered but supportive as they've seen the huge improvement to my health).

Naturally, I felt my thunder had been somewhat stolen when that fellow at the end put himself into remission after just two weeks!

"I get it now," said by BF in text, "But the bit about Jaffa Cakes went too far."

"Ah-ha!" replied I, "You just don't eat the cakey bit that's left over after you've peeled off the orange jelly and sucked the chocolate off that. No-one really likes the cakey bit anyway."

"Life hacks," replied he, "Mind = blown".

Was a bit disappointed that no-one pointed out that if you're low carbing, you don't also have to low fat, and that's how those people stopped being hungry all the time and started enjoying their food again: it all actually tasted of something!

Will be making my 12-y-o watch it over the weekend. On his current diet (not entirely his fault) I'll be surprised if he gets to 18 without a T2D diagnosis. Time to make some changes - and this documentary can lay it all out far more clearly than I ever could.

Reactions: kokhongw

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
If he really does believe it he has completely missed the point of why fasting worked for him. Hey ho.

Yeh he hasn’t joined the dots.

He is selling a book of course. But I wonder how many people will do OMAD but not being fat adapted will have a horrendous time with hunger pangs.

Reactions: kokhongw

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yeh he hasn’t joined the dots.

He is selling a book of course. But I wonder how many people will do OMAD but not being fat adapted will have a horrendous time with hunger pangs.
I did low carb, low fat and Halloween jellies knocked me out of ketosis. I was burning body fat and no food fat first.
I wasn't hungry as protein stops hunger too.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I did low carb, low fat and Halloween jellies knocked me out of ketosis. I was burning body fat and no food fat first.
I wasn't hungry as protein stops hunger too.
OK whats a halloween jelly?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it looks like I'm going to be that guy again.

A couple of things:bookworm:
  • He used to be diabetic.
  • Pre-diabetic now.
  • Pre-pre-diabetic.
  • 2 week HbA1c tests?
  • LC but no mention of HF
(although healthy fat it was just slightly hinted at with the nut base for the lime pie)

Over all I have like both programs, neither is perfect. ;)
:bag: