Vegetables ?

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have strangely noticed that even with other sugars, and with raised or lowered blood sugar, I feel tonnes better now that I am trying a vegetable free way of eating.

So why? Ok, any ideas we come up with are mainly guesswork, but I’m curious why I would feel better without carrots, broccoli, leaves etc...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have strangely noticed that even with other sugars, and with raised or lowered blood sugar, I feel tonnes better now that I am trying a vegetable free way of eating.

So why? Ok, any ideas we come up with are mainly guesswork, but I’m curious why I would feel better without carrots, broccoli, leaves etc...
Hi there,
Is the rest of your diet and lifestyle exactly the same then, the only difference being no veg? I don't know the answer but am curious to know if maybe there is something else you are doing that may be responsible for this feeling better.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just to clarify, what are you having instead of veggies?

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have tried so many different things over the years, but I’ve never tried no veg before because in so many places we read and hear that vegetables are good for us, so I ate vegetables, and tried to eat at least 5 portions a day, except on a ‘poor food day’.

This last month is the first time I have left out the veg, predominantly to try an animal-based / carnivore elimination way of eating. I’ve not been totally successful at leaving out sugars, I’ve eaten Oppo ice cream, chocolate and nuts every few days. But even when I go silly on carbs and my BG goes higher than I want it, I’m recovering much quicker and generally getting a lot less foggy than before. I’ve tried keto and low carb before (with plenty non-starchy veg), and my head gets clearer to an extent but gets foggy again as soon as I slip up with carbs. This time the slip ups are not having such a big effect. And my head just is much more clear, not foggy even with sugar.

When I tried adding in avocados for two days last week, things deteriorated again. So I’m beginning to wonder if there is something in vegetables that my body is reacting to.

Instead of veg I’m eating meat, eggs, fish, some dairy. Sometimes a few nuts, occasionally a tiny bit of fruit. A a little 70% or 99% chocolate (I ate all those things before, so the only thing I’ve removed is the vegetables).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know where you are coming from.
Since I gave up vegetables (just after Xmas), my digestion has improved, including bowel movements, and the joint inflammation that I have experienced for years has improved.

Just for clarity, I would point out that my joint and tendon inflammation improved dramatically when I gave up gluten approx 2 years ago. But it was still lingering. When I gave up veg, there was a further improvement.

I have done a bit of reading on this, and various sources (particularly the Zero Carb/Carnivorous websites) suggest that for some of us, the various chemicals in plants may be irritants. As an example, many of the plant kingdom produce toxins to discourage over grazing by herbivores or insects. And of course, the more of these plants that get eaten, the more the herbivore or insect experiences gut upset or toxin buildup, making them more likely to saunter off to eat the next type of plant.

https://zerocarbzen.com/salicylates/

The Green Smoothie community recognises this by encouraging people to rotate their choice of leafy green veg to put in their daily green smoothie, choosing from (for example) spring greens, spinach, kale and beet tops.
http://elizabethyarnell.com/effortlesseating/2013/02/salicylate-sensitivity-and-psoriasis/

I have also read (a while back, on a website that I have lost) that one of the theories for Fibromyalgia is that there are too many such toxin buildups in the muscles.
Here is a newer link to similar info.
https://www.fibrowellnesscenter.com/2013/02/08/day-care-snacks-lacking-in-nutritional-value/

The flip side of these arguments is that if one cow eats LOTS of green stuff, all the fertilisers, pesticides and various plant toxins are then concentrated into the cow, and so by eating the beef we end up eating concentrated chemicals.
I don't have any data for that, beyond my personal experience which is (as stated above) my inflammation, digestion and muscle aches all improved when I stopped eating all those salads and vegetables.

I guess we all have different reactions and different tolerances.

I do miss vegetables terribly sometimes, but the last time I strayed I got really weird wrist aches that lasted several days and were really inconvenient. Even holding a hair brush was awkward. So personally, I have decided to just roll with it.

Reactions: Prem51

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn’t it weird. I have looked at low histamine and low salicylate before - but the mix of veg I normally went with was not high in either, but then again those veg lists didn’t always agree between the lists on different websites for the same chemical. So I think I’m going to agree with you and just go with the flow of no veg if that’s what my body says is best. Totally goes against so much of the advice, even that on low carb keto. I am thankful to the brave souls like Amber O’Hearn and others who have started to talk out about leaving out veg. I love being veg free, I feel so free without veg.

Edited: I realised I forgot to say that I am very thankful to people like yourself Brunneria and NoCarbs and others on here, who have helped me to get the courage to stop eating vegetables. This forum has helped me a lot in this journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My guess as to why people often feel better on a carnivore diet: fruits/vegetables have low levels of useful nutrition (you'd have to eat a LOT of vegetables and a wide variety to get all the nutrients a human needs) and they contain things that we don't really need and are difficult for humans to process (fibre and phytochemicals [aka natural pesticides]).