Type 2 Using/disposing Of Lancets Abroad.

Lydia1974

Hi Trying to find information on behalf of my dad who has type 2. He is going on holiday to Turkey and has to use lancets for blood monitoring. I was just wondering if anyone knows what he has to do about disposing of them and also does he need a Dr letter to cover him for use of them. Thanks. Also about using them on the aeroplane?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am pretty sure you will not need a Drs letter to cover the lancets. As for disposal I would use a small pop/water bottle and place the used lancets in the bottle and throw them in the bin. Have been to Turkey for the past 3 years and the security at the airport is very strict but they have been fine with my insulin pens and testing equipment. They have swabbed by Accu check blood monitor for drugs/explosives and have asked me to turn it on to show them that it is working. I always take a Drs letter for my insulin and a copy of my prescription. Hope this helps
By the way, welcome to the forum :)

D

Deleted Account

To add to the comments from @porl69 there is absolutely no problem with doing BG testing on the plane. I do this often.
It is unlikely that the lancets will be noticed by anyone - they are too small to appear on the x-ray machines.

The only small difference from @porl69 response is that I always take my sharps home (in the small bottle) and decant them into my usual sharps disposal. I am nervous about putting them direct into a bin as many plastic bottles can be very thing nowadays. But I am probably over cautious.

Reactions: porl69

Lydia1974

Thank you both. It has helped put my mum and dads mind to rest knowing he can take them on the plane with him just incase.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Trying to find information on behalf of my dad who has type 2. He is going on holiday to Turkey and has to use lancets for blood monitoring. I was just wondering if anyone knows what he has to do about disposing of them and also does he need a Dr letter to cover him for use of them. Thanks. Also about using them on the aeroplane?
How many does he use? I only change mine monthly (when I remember).

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
During the flight, there is the risk of inaccurate blood glucose readings and for example with accu-chek strips and glucometer, it is up to 3094 meters, if you are unsure about your meter check the manual or call the manufacturer and be sure to ask!

Update: & My Sincere Thanks to @Tipetoo bringing it to my attention and for the kind correction.

Much appreciated :)

As Tipetoo says; "That "3094 meters" is for external readings half way up a mountain, not in a pressurised aircraft cabin." - is perfecty true and correct.

Most manufacturers of blood glucose monitoring equipment do not give advice regarding the use of their meters and strips onboard aircraft and do not write anything about it in their manuals.

The cabin altitude in modern jet aircraft is between 6000 and 8000 ft which should not affect the accuracy of most, if not all, blood glucose meters.

Airplane flight results in exposure to hypobaric conditions. At cruising altitude, usually 10,000 to 13,000 meters (∼30,000 to 42,000 feet), the pressure in the cabin is 0.75 atm, which is 75% of the pressure measured at sea level.

The partial pressure of oxygen in the airplane cabin is 16 kPa compared to 21 kPa at sea level, thus there is a risk that a glucometer can show a false hypo- or normoglycemia while in the air, when the true value in fact could be higher.

Some airlines have blood glucose testing equipment in the aircraft cabin medical bag.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

During the flight, there is the risk of inaccurate blood glucose readings and for example with accu-chek strips and glucometer, it is up to 3094 meters, if you are unsure about your meter check the manual or call the manufacturer and be sure to ask!
That "3094 meters" is for external readings half way up a mountain, not in a pressurised aircraft cabin.