Insulin Response On Omad

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having had great success with the 8 week blood sugar diet and then low carbing my weight loss has stalled over the last couple of months, so although I've dabbled with 16/8 fasting, I recently read Dr Jason Fung's Complete Guide To Fasting and this clarified for me that I needed to add in OMAD a few times a week.

Today I successfully completed my 3rd OMAD/24 hour fast - well I lasted 23 hours in the end before caving and having an early tea. I had a large meal of around 30g carbs (about double my usual intake for a meal) and did lots of testing to see how my insulin would respond, having fasted all day. In short I had a great first phase insulin response and then a mildly sluggish second phase response - my bloods went from 4.3 to 7 in about 40 minutes, then dropped to 5.7 within just over an hour - but then rose again to 6.7 before dropping to 6.3 at the 2 hour mark, and then to 5.6 at the 3 hour mark.

Has anyone else experienced this - when your blood sugars actually rise again before settling down? I was wondering if the good first phase response was actually due to the fact I'd been fasting there was plenty of storage space in my liver for some of the sugar, and then after that my body was more reliant on my insulin to get rid of the rest of the sugar?

Interested to hear if anyone has experienced similar.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood glucose levels used to bounce up and down a lot after eating, they still do a bit. I did a diy glucose tolerance test several years ago and got a very bouncy graph (I checked my blood every 15 minutes for several hours). Back then I found several studies that suggested that bouncy was better - but I can’t remember where I saw this info.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood glucose levels used to bounce up and down a lot after eating, they still do a bit. I did a diy glucose tolerance test several years ago and got a very bouncy graph (I checked my blood every 15 minutes for several hours). Back then I found several studies that suggested that bouncy was better - but I can’t remember where I saw this info.
Thanks, that's good to know I'm not the only one this happens to! How interesting that bouncy could be better - I'm trying to think of an easy way of googling the studies you mention - maybe, two blood sugar rises after meal? I will see what I can find.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only