6 Months On Low Carb , Great Results.

emmielou

Started January low carbing because my hc1 120. I was feeling full of pain , feet, back and legs. Had supposedly irritable bowel syndrome. Doctor considered I now needed insulin control and requested urgent appointment with diabetic team. This came through for 4 weeks time. Couldn't wait so went diabetic UK site and joined low carb site and this forum. All I can say is this and everyone's advice on the forum saved my life. I started testing everything I ate as advised, kept to around 30 carbs per day initially and by the time I went to appointment levels were back down to 79. Did not require insulin. I have appointment two weeks time and by my readings I am hoping they are down to 59 there about. My tests vary between 5.8 to 7.5 after eating. I still have a way to go but feel so well now and the bonus is I am 42 pounds lighter.
SO THANK YOU for the support and great advice x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news indeed... well done you for taking control and for getting such good results.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fantastic news, very well done.

Reactions: ziggy_w

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started January low carbing because my hc1 120. I was feeling full of pain , feet, back and legs. Had supposedly irritable bowel syndrome. Doctor considered I now needed insulin control and requested urgent appointment with diabetic team. This came through for 4 weeks time. Couldn't wait so went diabetic UK site and joined low carb site and this forum. All I can say is this and everyone's advice on the forum saved my life. I started testing everything I ate as advised, kept to around 30 carbs per day initially and by the time I went to appointment levels were back down to 79. Did not require insulin. I have appointment two weeks time and by my readings I am hoping they are down to 59 there about. My tests vary between 5.8 to 7.5 after eating. I still have a way to go but feel so well now and the bonus is I am 42 pounds lighter.
SO THANK YOU for the support and great advice x
Fantastic result.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
My husband and I have been doing a low carb diet for about three weeks. I have been diabetic for 23 years and was giving myself three injections of Novorapid as well as Lantus every day. Since I have stopped eating bread and potatoes and other carbs I have lost just under three kilos although I am not overweight and now I have normal sugar levels all the time. After years of fluctuating sugar levels I no longer need to give myself any quick acting insulin except two units after breakfast and have also lowered the Lantus and hopefully I will be able to come off insulin completely soon. I never realised just how much of my diabetic problems were caused by carbs as I had always followed the advice given at my annual review about eating things like pasta, rice and jacket potatoes and avoiding fat when the low carb diet that includes eating fat, eggs and cheese keeps me full up for longer so all the snacking I used to do has stopped completely. I will never go back to the diet I was on before as I am very pleased with my "normal" sugar levels.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@emmielou fantastic results well done - give yourself a congratulatory pat on the back, particularly impressive when look at where you were heading just a relatively short time ago, what great progress - keep going you’re on the right road.

emmielou

My husband and I have been doing a low carb diet for about three weeks. I have been diabetic for 23 years and was giving myself three injections of Novorapid as well as Lantus every day. Since I have stopped eating bread and potatoes and other carbs I have lost just under three kilos although I am not overweight and now I have normal sugar levels all the time. After years of fluctuating sugar levels I no longer need to give myself any quick acting insulin except two units after breakfast and have also lowered the Lantus and hopefully I will be able to come off insulin completely soon. I never realised just how much of my diabetic problems were caused by carbs as I had always followed the advice given at my annual review about eating things like pasta, rice and jacket potatoes and avoiding fat when the low carb diet that includes eating fat, eggs and cheese keeps me full up for longer so all the snacking I used to do has stopped completely. I will never go back to the diet I was on before as I am very pleased with my "normal" sugar levels.
What an inspiration in such a short time, well done. Low carb in my mind is marvelous.

Reactions: mytype1.life

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
@Gloucestergirl what are you eating for breakfast?

As it is fairly early days into the diet I am still having a small dish of either bran flakes, porridge or a slice of toast, yes, I know I shouldn't but don't really feel like cooking something at that time of the day so am trying to find something suitable. I have made a couple of almond bread loaves which are suitable so will have to make some more rather than eat the bran flakes!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A few options:
  • greek yogurt with nuts
  • cold homemade crustless quiche (keeps for a week in the fridge)
  • cheese and cold meats

Reactions: jayney27