What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 Funny you should say that as my wife said she thought it would be really nice warmed and I wondered if @jayney27 was a new poster to this thread before realising she had changed her avatar:banghead: By the way, in my food list I mentioned we tried the keto pastry for the first time - it worked really well and yes, real men do eat quiche:angelic:
It’s still me @ianpspurs just minus the winter coat :p

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I warm it a lot
My wife also thought it might be good in small pieces with strawberries in our homemade ice cream. I think that may very soon have a trial run as our strawberries are ripening and I have an HbA1C test and a birthday coming up.

Reactions: maglil55

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, sorry not been around much the last few days, been extremely busy! Hope you are all well.

L: low carb bagel with turkey and Leerdammer
D: As above with some lettuce and cucumber. Didn't feel like cooking, so tired today.
Snack: Quest bar
Coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I am planning to start the Newcastle diet (or a very similar solid 800 cal diet depending on how I find a liquid diet) on Monday, so I may disappear again!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I know there's no vinegar which is why my dear wife would probably try this method. I think way back in the mists of time, before freezers, relatives preserved green beans in a similar way. We have been bottling tomatoes and some fruit for a few years but lacto fermentation is now in vogue and promises a health dividend as well as a new taste.
@ianpspurs green beans were generally packed in salt rather than fermented but I've never tried doing them. I do quince chutney and also quince vodka. I also used to make elderflower cordial but I don't imagine there's a sugar free way of doing it. I might post a question.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs green beans were generally packed in salt rather than fermented but I've never tried doing them. I do quince chutney and also quince vodka. I also used to make elderflower cordial but I don't imagine there's a sugar free way of doing it. I might post a question.
@SueJB We have made quince jelly as my wife likes it very much. A customer of hers used to give her huge bags full for organising his insurance. Apparently it is quite the thing with cold goose for Boxing Day. (We do like goose as a seasonal tradition but always warm). We planted a quince tree which is yet to bear fruit but there are a few growers in the area. We have never made quince vodka but sloe gin is a favourite of Mrs Ianp and I like the ramble to procure them.

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB We have made quince jelly as my wife likes it very much. A customer of hers used to give her huge backs full for organising his insurance. Apparently it is quite the thing with cold goose for Boxing Day. (We do like goose as a seasonal tradition but always warm). We planted a quince tree which is yet to bear fruit but there are a few growers in the area. We have never made quince vodka but sloe gin is a favourite of Mrs Ianp and I like the ramble to procure them.
@ianpspurs we always have goose at Christmas and on Boxing Day Hungarian Cholent with the remains and then remaining remains with Italian recipe quince chutney

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262 just a quick up date, OMG the chocolate cake is delicious, I had a slice for my mid morning snack, couldn't wait any longer. I used corn oil as that was what I had and I make a cake for my partner that uses this with yoghurt so assumed it would work, it seems to have, its very moist and I wouldn't know it wasn't a really naughty traditional chocolate cake. I can't wait to try it warm with some cream ;)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262 just a quick up date, OMG the chocolate cake is delicious, I had a slice for my mid morning snack, couldn't wait any longer. I used corn oil as that was what I had and I make a cake for my partner that uses this with yoghurt so assumed it would work, it seems to have, its very moist and I wouldn't know it wasn't a really naughty traditional chocolate cake. I can't wait to try it warm with some cream ;)
It is amazing stuff the cake just had some myself and I’m sure taste would be similar with corn oil but probably best to stick in future with the healthy fats of olive oil or advocado oil when you’ve had chance to stock up. Lots of articles on diet dr about avoiding manufactured oils see this for starters
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/fats-sauces
And
https://www.dietdoctor.com/unknown-story-vegetable-oils

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is amazing stuff the cake just had some myself
It is good but of the 2 you have led me to I much prefer the lemon drizzle.
My birthday always falls around Father's day so often we have a family gathering and I do like a chocolate cake. My new tradition is this one https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/c...sour-cream-frosting-low-carb-and-gluten-free/ although I cannot now or ever in the past tolerate frosting of any kind. We make a ganache with 100% chocolate and double cream and we have added cherries and kirsch in the past. We have also made a coffee and walnut version. Don't think we use the xantham gum although we have some. It is a very big cake but my boys are 6 foot 4/5 and 16 stone plus so very helpful with eating:angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - well my private cholesterol results are in! Can’t believe how quick they were and very encouraging in direction if not total! Last test from nhs was not full fasted lipids so can only compare a few of the results. Total cholesterol was down from 13.7 to 10.8 - non HDL cholesterol down from 11.4 to 8.65,- HDL similar was 2.3 now 2.2 and trigs - not done last time - were normal at 1.2 - total ratio of LDL to HDL was down from 6 to 4.93.(it should be below 4) I’ve only made the changes over last few weeks so clearly taking the right route.I need to up my HDL, lower my LDL and improve my ratio. So a bit more of what I’ve already changed to date to come! I’m planning to temporarily rapidly reduce a lot of my dairy after today and take up much more tea as like it black and weak and prefer coffee with cream. I’m planning to try and keep my fats up with nuts, olive oil advocados etc all good and filling and good for HDL.
Meanwhile today
Breakfast boiled egg and one slice low carb bread
Lunch cheese and nuts followed by one slice choc olive oil cake
Dinner slow cooked beef with cauliflower cheese and glass of wine and a few walnuts.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening members of this fine community. Another perplexing day leaving me wondering just how much I know about good management of this condition. Today's plan was little and regular eating and slightly more steps but nothing vigorous. Menu below:

B: 2 pints tea with almond milk @ 5.30 then 2 pints @ 8.00
MMS: Mug coffee with double cream; Homemade high fibre toffee and chocolate bar;
L: 2 huge field mushrooms from garden; slice Asparagus quiche - both cooked in dripping from Sunday’s joint; 2 pints tea
MAS: Water
D: Salmon fillet; Salad; Chia seeds and psyllium powder; Strawberries and cream; Glass red wine

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Continuing with the hungry theme. Started out aiming for OMAD and all was going well but as I left the office around lunchtime to go to a meeting, started feeling really hungry. Bought a bottle of water in case it was thirst, but by the time I was passing M&S Foodhall 10 minutes later decided to eat.

Lunch was Serrano ham and manchego rollitos followed about 50 minutes later by a bag of pork crackling and 30g cheese from another branch of M&S!

Dinner was fathead pizza with pepperoni and Polish sausage topping followed by 3 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

B: scrambled eggs and smoked salmon

L: spent the morning in a packed and stuffy waiting room in the Tanzanian high commission with my daughter who is applying for a visa. We felt we needed a treat afterwards so found a Lebanese restaurant and had salad, halloumi, baba something (aubergine thing, lovely) and chicken kebab. Didnt eat any of the flatbread though it looked great.
Back to the embassy then to pick up the visa, then treck home on the boiling tube in rush hr. So glad I don’t do this every day anymore.

Dinner: small steak, large salad and a lot of olive oil.

Glad the blood results are going in the right direction @shelley262 sounds like you are doing really well at tackling it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: small leftover portion of low carb carbonara with grated extra mature cheddar followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: Hartleys 10cal jelly and black coffee.
Dinner: cold roast chicken, salad of cauliflower, broccoli and red onion followed by chocolate olive oil cake (luckily I had some in the freezer after all the talk of it over the last 24hours!). I had it warm with a scoop of vanilla Oppo :hungry:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - well my private cholesterol results are in! Can’t believe how quick they were and very encouraging in direction if not total! Last test from nhs was not full fasted lipids so can only compare a few of the results. Total cholesterol was down from 13.7 to 10.8 - non HDL cholesterol down from 11.4 to 8.65,- HDL similar was 2.3 now 2.2 and trigs - not done last time - were normal at 1.2 - total ratio of LDL to HDL was down from 6 to 4.93.(it should be below 4) I’ve only made the changes over last few weeks so clearly taking the right route.I need to up my HDL, lower my LDL and improve my ratio. So a bit more of what I’ve already changed to date to come! I’m planning to temporarily rapidly reduce a lot of my dairy after today and take up much more tea as like it black and weak and prefer coffee with cream. I’m planning to try and keep my fats up with nuts, olive oil advocados etc all good and filling and good for HDL.
Meanwhile today
Breakfast boiled egg and one slice low carb bread
Lunch cheese and nuts followed by one slice choc olive oil cake
Dinner slow cooked beef with cauliflower cheese and glass of wine and a few walnuts.
Well done a lovely start to your weekend.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is amazing stuff the cake just had some myself and I’m sure taste would be similar with corn oil but probably best to stick in future with the healthy fats of olive oil or advocado oil when you’ve had chance to stock up. Lots of articles on diet dr about avoiding manufactured oils see this for starters
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/fats-sauces
And
https://www.dietdoctor.com/unknown-story-vegetable-oils
Yes Shelley you are probably right about the choice of oil, I was curious to try it. Now that I have tried it and will definitely be making it again I will get olive oil in ready.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone
Same breakfast as yesterday peanut butter in livlife toast
Mid morning I had my piece of chocolate cake, I couldn’t wait any longer, yummy
Lunch was salad leaves, tomato, peppers, cucumber and roast beef with some mayo
When I got home I had a coffee and a smaller slice of choc cake
Evening meal of eggs, bacon, mushrooms and a couple of hot dog sausages

Attachments

• 30E7CB63-B762-4778-92C5-2C66E0950BFC.jpeg
    30E7CB63-B762-4778-92C5-2C66E0950BFC.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 5B47F9EB-395E-4796-B452-C8D05ABEB12E.jpeg
    5B47F9EB-395E-4796-B452-C8D05ABEB12E.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 358

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so today was Mr B’s delayed birthday celebration.
We had a good dogwalk and landed in a pub of Mr B’s choice. It was recommended tohim as ‘a great place for big portions of good pub food’.

I sat there and stared at the menu and fancied the fish pie. Good choice! Enormous pie dish, salmon, prawns and haddock. But I was in the utterly bizarre position of ordering chips to replace the ‘seasonal veg’. My cunning plan was to leave all the mash and eat a few chips instead (gentler spike than the mash because of the fat content).

Worked like a charm! My bg was 7.4 at 2 hours. Lower at 2 and a half.

I actually really fancied some lovely fresh green veg, but couldn’t face the consequences.

Won’t need anything else today.