Newly Diagnosed

Hey guys and gals,
Found out today that I have type 2 diabetes,not really sure how I feel at the moment.In many ways I feel this could be the kick up the backside that I needed to lose some weight and get back to some kind of shape and fitness.On the other hand I’m completely terrified of what this all means and how I’m going to feel on the new diet plan that I’m gonna have to follow.Would be greatful for any help and advice!

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Hey guys and gals,
Found out today that I have type 2 diabetes,not really sure how I feel at the moment.In many ways I feel this could be the kick up the backside that I needed to lose some weight and get back to some kind of shape and fitness.On the other hand I’m completely terrified of what this all means and how I’m going to feel on the new diet plan that I’m gonna have to follow.Would be greatful for any help and advice!

Hi Clint welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. Lots of people here have taken control of their t2D and knocked it for six

It is always a bit of a shock to be told something like that. It’s not the end of the world far from it. Read as much as you can on the forums. A lot of people have tackled the condition by cutting their carb intake dramatically and increasing good fats LCHF low carb high fat

What was your HBA1C?

Ask loads of questions

Enjoy the adventure!

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

Diagnosis can come as a huge shock, it is definitely a kick up the backside that you can't ignore. Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: Jenny15 and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @clintdeadwood2 and welcome to the forum. It is terrifying when you get that diagnosis and hear about the possible complications. But this condition can be controlled. Many of us on here have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating has reduced our blood glucose levels.
Have a read round the threads to see how it works and ask as many questions as you want. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

You should ask your gp surgery for a printout of your test results to know where you are starting from. Your test results should also be available online, but you have to ask the surgery for access.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@clintdeadwood2

Hello Clint and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: rab5

StephenJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made up my diet plan after some research on why diabetes occurs ( your insulin is not functioning and having trouble controlling your carb intake) so first off no bread or pasta potatoes etc then small meal portions 3 lunches cost me around £4 using canned tuna , cucumber & tomatoes with ground pepper over the top use a smaller plate to trick the eyes for desert I have an apple and the odd snack of
rye crispbread Ps bread also means pizza

Reactions: clintdeadwood2
Yeah the whole food thing is gonna be the toughest part, always been a kinda eat what i want when i want kind of guy! My biggest fear is when i have done low carb diets in the past i have always felt very weak whilst working and as my job is a manual one that is something that really does worry me.What kind of meals do you guys take with you whilst you are working??

Reactions: StephenJ

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was in the same position myself last October and there’s many on here who will give u better advice than me...I’m slowly getting my bg under control especially with the help & guidance that you will find on here...I’m lowish low carb and as electrical engineer I haven’t struggled with my energy levels, A handful of mid afternoon nuts always helps...These days I’m eating healthier than ever and feeling so much better than I did last summer... good luck

Reactions: StephenJ

StephenJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a desk & kitchen fridge etc so food is always to hand I certainly know when I need carbs though so I grab a banana or rye cracker never sweets even before I was diagnosed it was never sweets scotch eggs seem to fit our category right now ?

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome to the forum @clintdeadwood2 I found it easiest to read the introduction advice then make a plan. Key to that plan was buying a bg meter, there are various makes available just check the price of the strips because that becomes the expensive part. Then I started a simple food diary, with a note of the bg level before eating and 2 hours after first bite. This way of eating is eating to meter and allows each of us to eat an individual diet that fits our life style, work pattern, pocket etc. On the whole I found that a lowish carb diet suited me, I lost weight slowly but steadily until I reached a point where I did not want to lose any more and it did not make me feel weak, hungry or lacking in energy. It was also easy to adjust to a permanent way of eating. I found out the hard way, and recently had it reaffirmed, that bread and grains of all sorts can no longer be part of my diet, but fats, eggs, bacon, cheese, cream, pork scratchings, salami are all good. A handful of almonds with extra thick cream as a dessert soon fills for the evening as an alternative to cheese. The wonderful thing about being here is that everyone is different, we all tackle our problems in our own ways, there is no single 'right' way, but we will advise from our own experience then you find the way that works for you.
When the shock wears off, view it as an adventure to find out more about your own body. Good luck.:)

To update on my initial post i have been back to the doctor and he is very pleased with the progress i have made, i decided to go for a low carb higher fat diet which so far has served me well.I have lost 16 pounds of weight in a little over 3 weeks and to be honest i don't feel hungry or weak at the moment.Just been snacking on various nuts between meals which seem to sustain me for now.Next step for me is to introduce more excercise into my plan and adjust food plan to suit.Overall im feeling really positive with my progress and i already have so much more energy than i did before.Fingers crossed i can keep it all up.Thank you all for the fantastic support this really is a great forum with many great people!

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 16 pounds of weight in a little over 3 weeks and to be honest i don't feel hungry or weak
Hi Clint that's great to hear, well done.

Once you get your head round the LCHF lifestyle and how quickly you see results you wonder why you haven't been doing it all your life it is so easy. Keep doing what your doing add in a little exercise and you could reverse your diabetes in as little as 8 weeks. ;)
:bag:

Reactions: rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
To update on my initial post i have been back to the doctor and he is very pleased with the progress i have made, i decided to go for a low carb higher fat diet which so far has served me well.I have lost 16 pounds of weight in a little over 3 weeks and to be honest i don't feel hungry or weak at the moment.Just been snacking on various nuts between meals which seem to sustain me for now.Next step for me is to introduce more excercise into my plan and adjust food plan to suit.Overall im feeling really positive with my progress and i already have so much more energy than i did before.Fingers crossed i can keep it all up.Thank you all for the fantastic support this really is a great forum with many great people!

Well done. Excellent results

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I have lost 16 pounds of weight in a little over 3 weeks

Well done !!

But remember, it's you who sets your targets. Don't be bullied by anyone else in to doing something you don't want to do. I work with a guy who is an ex royal marine (bit like the boy scouts but with guns ) and he pesters me to let him work out an exercise regime for me. He doesn't wuite seem to understand that I'm not interested in his plans for my weight loss. I'm quite happy as I am