Chronic illness - Zero carb - anaesthetic - and other stuff

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in the early days of trying to maintain a very, very low carb (less than 7c), animal-based way of eating.

Oh dear this post is getting long...

I read this forum on and off most weeks. I watch quite a lot of YouTube lectures and podcasts. I have been ill for 20 years. Mainly fatigue and probably insulin disregulation but NHS doesn’t measure insulin. Definitely have had reactive hypoglycaemic episodes that precede, sometimes severe, energy drops / collapses - but nothing that is measurable by GP. I just end up unable to walk more than 1 step per 10 seconds, and loose most coherent speech.

Just before Christmas a different blood test (not done before) showed to quote the consultant “something autoimmune-y going on involving the liver”. They are still working on finding the root cause, and working slowly.

For the last 13 years I have been trying to help myself via the nutrition route. I have tried Atkins, low calorie, 5:2, blood sugar diet, counting calories, vegan, vegetarian, my own version of alternating between Hunter and Gatherer, protein sparing modified fast, GFCF, low dietary-free glutamate, low FODMAP, AIP, fasting, low carb, Ketogenic. And actually I’ve tried all of these several times. With some success. I’ve learnt quite a bit over these years. I am back to the weight I was before I became ill, although, I’ve less muscle than I had before, so i do still need to build muscle and loose a bit more visceral fat.

My major, I mean major, fall is intense energy cravings. Which naturally (because I’m human) trigger intense cravings for energy from food quick. It is crazy how logically illogical my thought patterns can go when the demands for “energy-now” are at their strongest. But things have improved, the first 7 years of being ill, I just didn’t recognise these energy cravings and lived off crisps, take-aways and pizza, with some healthier versions of ready meals thrown in. I can attest that the fatigue came before the high carb, because I used to work long days in university and hospital settings before I got ill and my average carbs per day were about 150g (I have Aspergers and a maths degree - so carb estimating is the kind of thing I work out without difficulty).

Ok, so I’ve mostly aimed at low carb, paleo and keto these last few years, with the occasional stint at Dr Moseley stuff and “maybe vegetarian or vegan will work instead” bits. So last year sometime I had my first go at carnivore. I obviously wasn’t doing it right enough for me, because after a few days (even though I was used to low carb), I felt like something huge was missing. I also think I was still tied tightly to “vegetables and fibre are essential for health”. So I slipped out again.

This past couple of months I’m trying again, with more success. I’m still battling some intense energy cravings. But less than I would have with keto (I think). One thing I’ve found very freeing is giving up on the idea that vegetables are good for me. I am enjoying the steaks and other animal foods.

I’m still battling cravings. But having some success at stumbling on solutions that affect my blood sugar less. I know keto and carnivore work best for me because my head gets sooo clear, and the energy is more sustained, carbs fog my head and increase the cravings.

Yesterday I tried avocado, yes, I know they are plants, but I wanted to try increase the potassium - but got lots of wind for my trouble. I have another non-carnivore add that I try to help when the bowels get too loose or I need variety - a porridge made from almond, coconut and flax - but that seems to creep the blood sugar up the next day by about 0.5mmol/l - not much, but seems strange.

Today, I had a 150g marbled steak, some chorizo and an egg for breakfast. But plenty has happened the last few days to make life complicated, and this afternoon I’ve been nibbling 99% choc and effervescent electrolyte tablets (sorbitol based). Tasted delicious, satisfied a need and has had minimal impact on the blood sugar, but not something I want to repeat. I’m aiming for animal based all meals tomorrow - because I know they work better for my clear head and long term energy.

As I said I’ve been trying this for about a month, in that month I went on holiday and had day surgery, and plenty of other complicated days. I’ve also had several high carb days because of driving 200 miles one week and having a general anaesthetic another week.

Curious thing about the anaesthetic - I saw a very clear reaction on my Libre device. I never thought an anaesthetic would mess with my blood sugars, especially when they assured me there was no glucose only an electrolyte (Hartmann’s) solution - the curve on my Libre was practically geometrical - went from 4.3 at 10am (surgery time) to 9.9 at 6.40 pm, then symmetrically down over the same amount of time. This was without high carbs (Coyo, blackberries, bacon, low carb chocolate - I couldn’t manage much else). Quite interesting blood sugar reaction, unusual shape for me, mine normally bounce more than this. [the clock is when I made a two minute adjustment to my Libre reader].

upload_2018-5-31_19-49-45.jpeg

Anyway, I know I’m going to keep persisting with animal based way of eating, because it is the most freeing and the most satisfying way of eating that I have tried these last 20 years. And results in the fewest carb cravings - one day maybe I will even get to zero energy cravings. I love the clear head I get with keto or zero carb. I wish nutrition was easier, but it is a struggle.

So that is my story with zero carb. I hope I can write an update in 6 to 12 months that says this has worked and my health is finally improving. Nothing else has worked, and this is working better than anything else so far. I’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Take care all.

Btw: not inexpensive but with a great range of organic meats is Coombe Farm Organics. Very tasty and they do nitrate free chorizo, biltong and bacon, as well as many different versions of steak cuts.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting thanks for writing it.
I'm trying carnivory for the next few weeks after coming off 6 day fast. Good results so far with bloods ok and no cravings.. in fact feel fuller than usual. Will be happy to share info if you want to carry on posting here .
Regards
Mark

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could you tell me more about your fat intake, please?

Well done on your steadfast attempts to improve your well being, you show great determination.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your feedback. I will try to keep posting.

Could you tell me more about your fat intake, please?

At the moment my fat grams are about matching the protein, which makes the percentage of calories about 65% fat to 35% protein. I started with this about mid May, and quickly got to the water coming out of the wrong place on the toilet bit. Then I went on holiday and ended up with most days carnivore, I had a few teething problems with being in the middle of nowhere having bought what looked like lovely ribeye steaks and turned out to be too lean, and the stock I was making from butcher bones began to smell the cottage out too much, I ended up going out to buy more steaks and came back with steaks and ice cream and crisps on a couple of the days (I keep telling myself that despite the ice cream and crisps I do keep going back to keto - I refuse to give up because it does work for me).

I’m generally checking numbers regularly in Cronometer and using the ketocalc app to test the fat to protein and carb ratio. As well as writing a food diary to keep me aware of what I’m eating. I know that if I can get fat = p + 2c (in grams) then I will be about 2 on the ketocalc.app keto ratio (which he says is “mostly Ketogenic”). And if I want to go deeper using a mixed keto menu then I aim for f = 2p + 5c.

But cooked meat (unlike other keto foods) doesn’t absorb liquid fat easily and if I put too much fat on the meat then I seem to aspirate some of the fat when I’m trying to eat it and end up with a ‘smokers cough’. So I seem to be better with approximately f=p on keto carnivore, which is about the same balance that Amber O’Hearn says she ends up with.

I also can’t quite decide dairy or not dairy - my sinuses seem better without dairy, but I like the taste and variety that butter and cheese bring. Generally I’m trying to eat less dairy and more of other animal fats.

At the moment I am eating approximately 110g protein, 110g fat each day. Which is more protein than I would eat with mixed keto. (I am not very tall but the Aspergers and ADHD keep me active as long as the fatigue doesn’t ground me). I want to build the fat up a bit slowly so I don’t get a repeat of the liquid bowels that I had earlier in May; so far so good. I only have about 7 pounds to loose before I need to switch to maintenance. But my main aim is clear head, steady energy, no bloating, improvement in alopecia and other autoimmune symptoms, as well as hopefully improvement in Aspergers symptoms particularly the sensory hypersensitivity. And of course the energy cravings. And I want to smile more and be less intense about getting food right. I know ketones help me smile more - occasionally I take a capful of KetoForce BHB and within five minutes the smile arrives. But I’d prefer to get my ketones naturally rather than rely on exogenous versions.

My bloods are much flatter with zero carb than they are even with mixed keto. And my fasting bloods are below 4.7, which I rarely get with mixed keto.

Reactions: Brunneria

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thank you for your feedback. I will try to keep posting.

At the moment my fat grams are about matching the protein, which makes the percentage of calories about 65% fat to 35% protein. I started with this about mid May, and quickly got to the water coming out of the wrong place on the toilet bit. Then I went on holiday and ended up with most days carnivore, I had a few teething problems with being in the middle of nowhere having bought what looked like lovely ribeye steaks and turned out to be too lean, and the stock I was making from butcher bones began to smell the cottage out too much, I ended up going out to buy more steaks and came back with steaks and ice cream and crisps on a couple of the days (I keep telling myself that despite the ice cream and crisps I do keep going back to keto - I refuse to give up because it does work for me).

I’m generally checking numbers regularly in Cronometer and using the ketocalc app to test the fat to protein and carb ratio. As well as writing a food diary to keep me aware of what I’m eating. I know that if I can get fat = p + 2c (in grams) then I will be about 2 on the ketocalc.app keto ratio (which he says is “mostly Ketogenic”). And if I want to go deeper using a mixed keto menu then I aim for f = 2p + 5c.

But cooked meat (unlike other keto foods) doesn’t absorb liquid fat easily and if I put too much fat on the meat then I seem to aspirate some of the fat when I’m trying to eat it and end up with a ‘smokers cough’. So I seem to be better with approximately f=p on keto carnivore, which is about the same balance that Amber O’Hearn says she ends up with.

I also can’t quite decide dairy or not dairy - my sinuses seem better without dairy, but I like the taste and variety that butter and cheese bring. Generally I’m trying to eat less dairy and more of other animal fats.

At the moment I am eating approximately 110g protein, 110g fat each day. Which is more protein than I would eat with mixed keto. (I am not very tall but the Aspergers and ADHD keep me active as long as the fatigue doesn’t ground me). I want to build the fat up a bit slowly so I don’t get a repeat of the liquid bowels that I had earlier in May; so far so good. I only have about 7 pounds to loose before I need to switch to maintenance. But my main aim is clear head, steady energy, no bloating, improvement in alopecia and other autoimmune symptoms, as well as hopefully improvement in Aspergers symptoms particularly the sensory hypersensitivity. And of course the energy cravings. And I want to smile more and be less intense about getting food right. I know ketones help me smile more - occasionally I take a capful of KetoForce BHB and within five minutes the smile arrives. But I’d prefer to get my ketones naturally rather than rely on exogenous versions.

My bloods are much flatter with zero carb than they are even with mixed keto. And my fasting bloods are below 4.7, which I rarely get with mixed keto.

I am with you on the sinus front having recently raised my dairy to combat continuing, unwanted weight loss.

Exogenous ketones, this worries me a lot. Not enough data on how the body reacts to a 'third' man made fuel.

Good luck with the carney regime.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point about the exogenous ketones. I know they help me sometimes. I know the calcium-based powder versions give me a migraine, but KetoForce (sodium and potassium based) does not. There is a growing body of research on them, but it is still small because they are relatively new. I keep them for when I get desperate for the ketone help. I know for myself that natural ketones are preferable, especially long term.

Reactions: Guzzler

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, there, welcome the forum.
I have a condition called ' Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia'
And like you have gone through the battle to find what is ' healthy' for my body.
Mine started nearly twenty years ago now, and because of my ignorance and my surgeries ignorance that I got diagnosed with T2.
However, about five years ago, I got a referral which changed everything for me.
I had my last appointment with my endocrinologist, he has dismissed me from his clinic.
Why, because, after much experimentation and experience, and finding the right balance of protein and fats, because I found out that being in ketosis, I didn't need the carbs. You might say I'm carb intolerant.
You talk about being clear headed, with eating just meat, well I had the same clear headed experience after a few weeks since starting going ultra low carb.
I also found out that fasting is good for me and it helps with control.
I have found that having your blood glucose levels in normal levels more often, helps with your health and also your state of mind.
I had chronic fatigue, forgetfulness, lethargy, and so many more including anxiety.
I have a lot of problems with foods, I have dairy intolerance, can only eat certain salad vegetables, but I love meat. I am a carnivore!
I also had the symptoms of hunger, craving and the obsessive compulsive behaviour of trawling fridges, cupboards, looking for anything that I could ram down my throat and it wasn't just one bite, it had to be huge, not a snack, it was feasting!

One of the best lessons learned was not to buy in food, that I should not be having, take the temptation away, clear out the fridges and cupboards. Plan your meals, the condition called aspburgers (sorry about spellings) will help with that!
Plot your day, your intakes, your food, if you don't need to eat every meal times, then don't, eat when you want, it doesn't matter, it is inbred in to us eat three to four times a day, five vegetables portion, five fruit portions, what a load of rubbish! You don't!

Your body is telling you that you need to eat healthy for you.
Eat what your body is telling you, if you feel better after eating meat, then eat meat!
If anything upsets you, then don't!

It's all about how your hormones react with digestion, we all have different symptoms, we all have to have different treatment, that is more important than, calories, carb counting, how you cook with fats, the amount of protein. Which fats are the best for you and so on.

Today, I fasted till late afternoon, then had gammon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, that is it, I can't or don't have to eat again. Though I might have a bite or two for my supper. I'm not bothered because being in ketosis, means, I'm not hungry!
I don't have a good appetite no more, I eat less and less.
I have great energy, I work full time. I am never tried!
All because I'm in ketosis.

Hope you find your balance soon.

Reactions: PW1

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Lamont
I have found that having your blood glucose levels in normal levels more often, helps with your health and also your state of mind.

I agree with what you’ve said. It can be a long road (often a very bumpy road) to get the nutrition balance that works for the unique makeup (DNA and environment) that is each one of us.

This way of eating does feel like the simplest and most achievable and successful version that I have tried. Giving up on vegetables sounds so crazy, but it works for me.

I am still struggling with some energy / carb demands within my brain. Most minutes when I see sugar or starchy foods, they hold no interest, but I know when the fatigue is building (even if I don’t actually feel the fatigue)! The first sign of fatigue for me is that sugary and starchy foods start to look amazing and almost life saving - those foods become complete liars, because they will ultimately fog my brain and make the fatigue worse. But the illogical logic of these energy cravings scream that sugar and starch will save me.

This happened today, I’d had a good level of energy, done quite a bit, but on the way home I could feel the illogical logic of sugar and starch building. I knew I needed to get home very soon. I got home, it took a while to work out what I was going to eat (that often happens when I’m fatigued). Thankfully I managed and enjoyed cheesy scrambled eggs with a tin of salmon. It was tasty and not a sugar or starch in sight.

Ketosis rocks.

Reactions: Brunneria

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Vegetables are a nightmare for me!
For instance, I really do enjoy a salad, and eating cold vegetables is how I love them.
I can even have raw carrots, only a few scraping, I like baby spinach leaves or even a baby leaf salad with an appropriate protein, with eggs involved somehow.
However, when it comes to cooked vegetables, it is completely the opposite, I can't put a cooked carrot in my mouth, spinach tastes awful and don't even try and put, sprouts, cauliflower, and every cooked green vegetables you can name on my plate!

Again, however, again, the likes of mushrooms, onions and a few non green vegetables are okay, but don't really go on my shopping list.

So I do know what you are saying about certain foods that don't agree with your palette or your blood glucose levels. Our tastes and environment have a big say in our diet. I also believe being forced to eat food because of availability can put you off certain foods, or just unaware of the great variety of food there is out there. How many times have you said to something new when abroad or not your normal diet, ewww!
Another one of mine is seafood, I love fish, certain ones obviously, but I can't eat crab, tuna, salmon, prawns and so on. The smell of some, I can't even be in the same room, pilchards for instance, tinned fish, yuk!
Then again, on holiday in Greece, I have had certain delicacies that came from the sea.
And on a working visit to Belgium, I had horse steak, l'escargot, and some other delicacies but not truffles!
Yes, I'm weird by design, but aren't we all different, so accepting the diversity of our diets, we should accept the premise, that treatment by dietary restriction will work if the balance is found.

Best wishes.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A short update... my food has not been completely plant-free. Life has got very chaotic recently, as a result I got too exhausted and have been going through major energy (and carb) screams by my body. So yes, I have had ice cream and crisps and chocolate, not as much as I was using in last year, and definitely not as much as 5 years or 10 years ago. Low carb and keto helped to reduce the energy cravings over the years.

But, one thing I have noticed since giving up vegetables and eating more rib eye steak... my recovery from the energy screams and the need for (as well as desire for) carbs the day after a carb feast, this has improved significantly. My average blood sugars are reducing more quickly each day, even when I eat carbs. And my energy isn’t collapsing quite as far.

So I am going to keep going without vegetables and eating more rib eye steak. Obviously I do not want to resort to carbs when I get exhausted but I’ve spent too many years beating myself up about this, so I will just keep plodding along with steak and eating as few carbs as I can manage.

Things are not perfect, but they are so much better than they have been, I like the freedom of steak and no veg. X

the_seraphim

To keep your fat levels up if you can stand the sodium pork scratchings make a great way to get some fat in and they just feel naughty.

With regards to your sugar cravings, do you drink any diet sodas?

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To keep your fat levels up if you can stand the sodium pork scratchings make a great way to get some fat in and they just feel naughty.

With regards to your sugar cravings, do you drink any diet sodas?

Hi the_seraphim

I can just about manage 1 or 2 pork scratchings at a time (even the hand made ones from the butchers). They are too rich for me. Although, I found some very air puffed ones in a coop when I was on holiday - they were quite manageable, I assume this was because they had been puffed up so much. But there are no coops close to where I live.

As regards fizzy sugar drinks, I’ve not had those for about 10 years, because of the aspartame and other artificial sweeteners. I like water best, which is a blessing for me, no fights with drinks just with munching carbs and managing energy.

banshee71

can you eat organ meats and bone broths, they can really help with your mineral levels. I ate paleo style for a while, never made it to full carnivore but I prefer a meat based diet, i struggled with the organ meats but the bone broth was and still is a firm favourite, You can add extra fat to it if you're finding it hard to incorporate enough fat, i used to add dripping to my bone broth.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A short update... my food has not been completely plant-free. Life has got very chaotic recently, as a result I got too exhausted and have been going through major energy (and carb) screams by my body. So yes, I have had ice cream and crisps and chocolate, not as much as I was using in last year, and definitely not as much as 5 years or 10 years ago. Low carb and keto helped to reduce the energy cravings over the years.

But, one thing I have noticed since giving up vegetables and eating more rib eye steak... my recovery from the energy screams and the need for (as well as desire for) carbs the day after a carb feast, this has improved significantly. My average blood sugars are reducing more quickly each day, even when I eat carbs. And my energy isn’t collapsing quite as far.

So I am going to keep going without vegetables and eating more rib eye steak. Obviously I do not want to resort to carbs when I get exhausted but I’ve spent too many years beating myself up about this, so I will just keep plodding along with steak and eating as few carbs as I can manage.

Things are not perfect, but they are so much better than they have been, I like the freedom of steak and no veg. X

I have days and meals, with just cooked meat, nowt else.
Why do you need to have veg and other stuff to enjoy your protein? :)

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
xtra fat to it if you're finding it hard to incorporate enough fat, i used to add dripping to my bone broth.

I agree, bone broth is easier than organ meats. Although, my butcher gave me (yes, gave!, lovely butcher) an organic chicken carcas with giblets to use for stock. I’ve wondered a bit about the giblets and how palatable they might be. I made the first lot of broth from the carcas and giblets, they are now in the freezer for when I have my next burst of broth making. Can you eat giblets?

Not a brilliant day today. I wonder if my steak was too fatty, I was left with a nauseous, “gaping hole” feeling after eating fore rib steak at breakfast and again at lunch - it was very fatty. It was another day ending with ice cream and crisps. Beating myself up just leaves me feeling like a useless failure, so I choose to start fresh and new tomorrow.

I’m aiming for eggs, salmon, stock, steak tomorrow. And I have an orange that I might eat half of if I need it. Each day seems to be a new tweak. I definitely feel better 95% animal based, but there seems to be still a small need for carbs, which I hope to reduce soon.

Basically I see the carnivore as an elimination way of eating that might help me work out what isn’t working.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do find it a bit peculiar that without vegetables my head is much clearer and I have a touch more stable energy, even when I resort to sugar carbs. It isn’t the sugar that is giving the clear head, because in general, in the past when I ate carbs my head got foggier. Ok, my head is not perfect. It is better when I’m in ketosis, but there is a clarity that I didn’t experience when I was eating the healthy vegetables. And it is unlikely to be histamine, because my normal vegetables are mostly in the low histamine list. I saw a lecture yesterday that suggested maybe manganese overload - basically that is most nuts (including coconut), seeds, grains, vegetables and fruits where the seeds are eaten - that might explain it?

I still would like to get back into ketosis for the further clarity, but I am going to be continuing to not eat vegetables, and leave as many seeds behind as I can.

banshee71

yeah you can eat giblets, can't vouch for how palatable they are mind, my gran used eat em when she made stock, she used to chew the bones for marrow too. We used to take the mick but guess she knew more than we gave her credit for

BunLover

I’m in the early days of trying to maintain a very, very low carb (less than 7c), animal-based way of eating.

Oh dear this post is getting long...

I read this forum on and off most weeks. I watch quite a lot of YouTube lectures and podcasts. I have been ill for 20 years. Mainly fatigue and probably insulin disregulation but NHS doesn’t measure insulin. Definitely have had reactive hypoglycaemic episodes that precede, sometimes severe, energy drops / collapses - but nothing that is measurable by GP. I just end up unable to walk more than 1 step per 10 seconds, and loose most coherent speech.

For the last 13 years I have been trying to help myself via the nutrition route. I have tried Atkins, low calorie, 5:2, blood sugar diet, counting calories, vegan, vegetarian, my own version of alternating between Hunter and Gatherer, protein sparing modified fast, GFCF, low dietary-free glutamate, low FODMAP, AIP, fasting, low carb, Ketogenic. And actually I’ve tried all of these several times. With some success. I’ve learnt quite a bit over these years. I am back to the weight I was before I became ill

I'm really interested into how you lost the weight, as I've tried so many of those diets and nothing seems to be working, and the symptoms you are describing about carbs is exactly what I have. Some of the symptoms you are describing align with cfs/me.

What worked for you in the end?

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really interested into how you lost the weight, as I've tried so many of those diets and nothing seems to be working, and the symptoms you are describing about carbs is exactly what I have. Some of the symptoms you are describing align with cfs/me.

What worked for you in the end?

Hi, to be perfectly honest I have tried to answer that question myself. I have food diaries going back many years. My first food diary was calorie counting in 2005/6. Then the diary was restarted in 2010 and got more consistent from 2012 to now. So I suppose, you could say that keeping a food diary has helped.

I started monitoring my weight a bit more consitantly since 2004 - for the next 10 years it bounced between 9 stone and 12 stone. From 2014 to end 2016 it bounced between 10st and 9st. Since 2016 it’s been bouncing between 8 and 9st, mostly averaging around 8st 8lb (which was my mid-20s weight - but I had more muscle back in my mid-20s).

The weight took a sharp drop from 12 to 10st 7lb in the first 6 months of 2012 - given I was physically unable to cope with cooking food this was mostly healthier forms of ready meals from M&S & Tesco. Looking at my diary, I was monitoring calories (rather than trying to keep them down), I was eating about 5 times a day (and getting nauseous migraines about 3 or 4 times a week - these were a prominent feature of what turns out was probably peri and full menopause - unknown to me or my GP as I was relatively young-ish for this).

In the analysis of my food diary since 2012, the weight dropped from 10st 7lb to 8st 7lb (in April 2016), the drops occurred either when I went low carb or when I tried Dr Moseley’s 800 kcal - so I was able to drop with both versions. But I always crashed out regularly due to energy cravings. The crashes resulted in small rises, but the general trend was still down. This period included the death of my very elderly neighbour, then searching the UK for somewhere else to live and moving house.

Since April 2016 I’ve not managed any significant weight changes, although, I have maintained between 8st 4lb and 8st 10lb. During that time, I have lost a parent who was in a care home for quite a while, added alopecia to my gamut of conditions and moved house again.

I have tried to analyse my food diaries (I have a Maths and science background) but haven’t managed to find a consistent answer. Several things worked, but each for only a few weeks at a time, taking the pressure off also worked, but I find that hard to maintain as well, because I panic so much when the pressure is so loose that I am resorting to crisps and choc in response to energy crashes or stressful events.

What worked - counting calories (for a bit), low carb (for a bit), keto (for a bit), 800kcal (for a bit), being gentle with myself (for a bit)... the reason I keep coming back to keto even though I keep crashing out, is that my head is so clear on keto, especially without veg, and there is a level of clean energy that I get with keto that I do not get with any other way of eating. [this could be autoimmune related?]

At the moment I am struggling to work out how to get rid of these energy cravings, I know resting and lying down help, but they are very difficult to do, I enjoy being active, I enjoy learning and thinking. But I do want to be free of the sugar screams, they mess with my BG.

I suppose the biggest thing that has helped, is perseverance. Even though I keep crashing out of each way of eating, I have not given up. It has meant I can get very boring for other people to listen too. The Aspergers has helped me in this - because Aspergers likes specialist subjects - I now know a lot about nutrition and different eating styles.

So my advice - don’t give up, take a break when needed, be gentle, but don’t let go of your goals, maybe tweak or readjust your goals - mine now are more about a clear head and energy than they are about loosing the last half stone / put the muscle back on. But for myself, I know that if I have energy then I am more able to make beneficial food choices.

P.s. it now looks possible that the “Fibromyalgia” with which I was diagnosed almost 20 years ago, might in fact be one or more autoimmune conditions, but GPs seem rarely to test for autoimmune antibodies. A major symptom of autoimmune conditions is disabling fatigue that can last for decades. I finally got tested 6 months ago (after being ill for 20 years). [i am not a medical doctor, I am just sharing what has happened to me]

So that is my complex weight loss story.