Type 2 What Happens To Carbs

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
The fundamental issue is to reduce the chance of a hypo, which can happen as outlined by others in this thread, by reducing insulin dose. However as some point out you could delay the dose. Trying to manage a hypo effectively when you’ve had too much to drink can be difficult.
However alcohol consumption has little affect on by BGL, I don’t drink beer because of the carb content and only drink dry white wine and occasional spirits.
Type 1 28 years, MDI.

Reactions: nsh2111

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
The liver does not process carbs.

I am not sure I understand that, it sounds like an increase in BG.

I do have less increase in BG if I have a glass or two of red wine with my dinner but I haven't found an explanation on this thread or the Internet that I can understand.
The liver does not process carbs.

I am not sure I understand that, it sounds like an increase in BG.

I do have less increase in BG if I have a glass or two of red wine with my dinner but I haven't found an explanation on this thread or the Internet that I can understand.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Liver stores glucose rather than processing it?

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Based on all replies, can I say that carbs eaten are digested and cpnvwrtecto sugar and then insulin comes and is used by cells. In type 2, along with the sugar from food, liver doesn't sense how much sugar is there and dumps more while the sugar from food is being used up. This then raises insine even more.

With alcohal , it stops the second process of liver putting glucose in blood stream. Hence the lower BS reading.

Correct ?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Based on all replies, can I say that carbs eaten are digested and cpnvwrtecto sugar and then insulin comes and is used by cells. In type 2, along with the sugar from food, liver doesn't sense how much sugar is there and dumps more while the sugar from food is being used up. This then raises insine even more.

With alcohal , it stops the second process of liver putting glucose in blood stream. Hence the lower BS reading.

Correct ?

Basically, yeah.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've got a liver that's very similar, I can fast for 72 hours and during the first 48 hours my blood glucose can either rise or stay the same, usually in the low 6's. During the last day, my blood glucose might drop to mid 5's, but that's about it.
And when I'm not fasting, unless I do at least an hour and a half brisk walking my blood glucose stays at mid 6's.
I've been trying for a year now to try and lower my blood glucose by LCHF but it's just not playing..... ******!
However, I have lost 25 kilos...….

I hear you! Longer fasts are good for me, in the lowering the BG sense, but normally eating LCHF/keto day in and day out does not effectively lower my BG to normal levels, the way it does many t2 diabetics who reverse/go into remission with this way of eating.

But the longer fasts show that burning through glycogen stores takes me a couple of days like you, then after three or four days BG becomes normal, ie without the any new source of carbs in food coming in. Day four is good especially, with a 'hangover' good BG effect tipping over into the next couple of days with food, if starting to eat again then. Otherwise, if continuing to fast, I see a dramatic BG drop, the way many type twos see on LCHF and keto. I can't function! In the second week of fasting. Basically bed-ridden and can't mix with other human beings. But is psychologically interesting to see normal and low-normal readings as the fast proceeds, on my metre.

My understanding of my own body, after years of blood lipid tests, and knowing my insulin resistance health history, is that I have the severe insulin resistance (SIRD) kind of diabetes. This affects 15% of all diabetics, according to the lovely Swedes who came up with this new 5 types definition of different types of diabetes. (I hope this is not you too! Because it is a s***.) I have been able to, just, get my BG levels to normal levels, but I had to be a lean lean creature indeed to do that, and I have not been able to maintain life in the skinny zone for any meaningful length of time. (I mean so skinny I had to carry a cushion around in a backpack in order to be able to sit comfortably on hard surfaces! I didn't like it.)

Very low carbs (keto) mainly, allows me to maintain a normal weight consistently after having lost the bulk you mention, have high-normal insulin levels, and combined with the physical activity you too mention, keep my risk factors for CVDs and strokes to as low as I can get with the almost constantly elevated BG levels.

Only time will tell if longterm keto/lchf will improve insulin sensitivity and therefore lower my BG levels whilst being a normal weight. I hope so!

Reactions: bluecurlylegend