Sleep Apnea Study To Explore Diabetes Self-management

DCUK NewsBot

A study exploring whether treating obstructive sleep apnea helps improve diabetes management is set to start in the US. Sleep apnea, a form of interrupted breathing during sleep, has been associated with decreased blood sugar control in people with diabetes, as well as reduced insulin sensitivity. In this new study, researchers from the West Virginia University (WVU) School of Medicine want to investigate how much treating sleep apnea using a specific treatment may improve self-management and blood sugar levels. Continuous positive airway pressure therapy (CPAP) will be tested on participants with diabetes during a 12-week period. A CPAP machine blows air into the person's airway at a constant pressure to help keep it open, thus preventing breathing interruptions. Robert Stansbury assistant professor and interim section chief of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine at WVU School of Medicine said: "It's a little bit of a step forward from previous studies because previous ones looked at insulin sensitivity and glycemic control, but this one is looking at self-management as well." The trial will involve 120 people who will be split into two groups. One half will be treated using a CPAP machine and the other half will use a machine that looks similar to the CPAP device but does not impart any benefits. Both groups will have their blood sugar levels checked periodically, while researchers will also note how often they check their own levels. Additionally, the participants will be asked to attend information sessions, receive quizzes on what they learned, and wear pedometers so researchers can monitor how many steps they take on a daily basis. Jessica Perini, assistant professor in the WVU School of Medicine who is also involved in the study, said that if their findings suggest the CPAP machines do help boost diabetes management then "we will have no excuse for not screening more [people with diabetes] for sleep apnea".

Continue reading...

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Looks like a good study, taking knowledge further than previous similar studies.

I have both OSA and T2, which can cause each other and if they are not both well managed, will make the other one worse and can even ultimately be life threatening.

jos64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like a good study, taking knowledge further than previous similar studies.

I have both OSA and T2, which can cause each other and if they are not both well managed, will make the other one worse and can even ultimately be life threatening.

I too have both. Never knew there was a link. I was told when diagnosed with osa that if I lost weight it would potentially reverse the condition. So interested in the findings of this study

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have it but since changing my diet to ultra low carb and losing a good chunk of weight it has now resolved. I sleep well and rarely if ever wake in the night (unless the cat jumps on me of course). My snoring has all but disappeared too so hubs gets a much better night's sleep too. He used to lie awake listening to my breathing stopping!

Reactions: rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I used to have it but since changing my diet to ultra low carb and losing a good chunk of weight it has now resolved. I sleep well and rarely if ever wake in the night (unless the cat jumps on me of course). My snoring has all but disappeared too so hubs gets a much better night's sleep too. He used to lie awake listening to my breathing stopping!

I had it But losing a bit chunk of fat has helped! Your hubs is very patient her indoors very nearly murdered me loads of times

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had OSA but after losing weight I now no longer use CPAP, have been discharged by my consultant, and apparently no longer snore, unless too much alcohol has been taken, and that is not much!

Reactions: Jenny15

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Glad to hear so many people found improvement after weight loss! My rate of OSA events reduced when my BMI was down to 26, but I still needed CPAP because another condition I have affects it. Luckily I don't mind kitting up like a stormtrooper every night. Been doing it so long that it would be weird not to, lol.