Type 2 Best Fruit To Eat

mike gibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, can I ask what is the best fruit for diabetics to eat...I have strawberrys and blueberries for breakfast...with a salad lunch I’ll have an orange then an apple as an afternoon snack..just got in from work and I’m reading 10.9...am I eating the wrong fruits ??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit generally is considered bad if you are trying to cut carbs. It would seem that fructose is a major factor in fatty liver disease too so while a few berries are ok (raspberries and strawberries best) most fruit is considered not good. Blueberries are the highest carb of the berries so again maybe best avoided until blood sugars are well under control.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The only safe fruits for T2 diabetics are strawberries and raspberries, maybe blueberries for some people. However, this is only in small portions such as 2 or 3 strawberries OR half a dozen raspberries OR half a dozen blueberries. They should also be eaten as part of a meal and not as a stand alone snack - and with cream or full fat yogurts. It isn't so much that fruit raises our blood glucose levels, but more importantly it raises our insulin levels (not good), and the fructose goes straight to the liver to be converted to fat, which is stored round the liver. This in turn makes our insulin resistance worse.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit, just fruit for breakfast? Maybe replace most of it with something more sustaining, as high sugar foods are going to cause a drop in energy and increasing hunger fairly soon after eating. Putting cream with the fruit or in your coffee will help slow down the uptake of the sugars.
Increase the salad, add a good oily dressing, maybe more fat and protein in what you eat with it, and not have the fruit - perhaps some roast veges with dinner instead?

Reactions: Freema

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I eat Strawberries, Blackberries and Raspberries. I seem to be fine with blackberries I only have 6 though with sugar free jelly

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
If u can tolerate something like 30-35g carb per meal or 100g carbs a day without your bg going overboard, you can add fruits to your diet quite easily. Take whole fruits about 100g serving per meal, avoid juice and blending fruits (made the glycaemic index much higher). When you take fruit in a meal, you will need to reduce your grains, vegetable roots, and other carbs to ensure your total carb intake for that meal do not make your two hours bg go overboard.

Some fruits are better than others. The good ones from my observation are payaya, orange. Be cautious about those vert sweet and low fibre varieties. At times, i also regularly use red tomato as fruit intake because they are technically a fruit but much lower in carb and high in lycopene. I also like use 5 black grapes with some payaya to make up 100g, to be taken before exercising.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
All fruits have sugar, ‘fructose’, content. Tropical fruits (Pineapple, etc) typically will have a higher content than other climate fruits. There have been cases recently where some older diabetics had scurvy (lack of vitamin C) from not eating fruits, took awhile to diagnose as the condition is not seen a lot these days. However eating a good range of vegetables also provides a good daily supply of vitamin C if you find fruits raise your BGL too much.

Reactions: dbr10