Spare Meters?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this also warrants a winner medal too, I was considering calling on a different day hoping I'd get a more considerate customer service person :)
When I first applied on line for my most recent meter I admitted to testing 4 times a day ( DAFNE !!!!!!!) . New meter was denied. Reapplied and admitted to testing 7+ times.a day. New meter no problem.

Reactions: CranberryIce

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have a spare given to me by the hospital when I did DAFNE. It uses the same strips. Neither test ketones I just use the urine dippers if ill. I also purchased some strips myself for the Libre reader which I use if I think the sensor is way out. What I found fascinating was that the couple of times I tested all three metres together, the difference in results was staggering. People rely on the accuracy of their metres. It’s made me more wary.
If you have Libre on prescription long term and contact Abbott, they send you 50 blood strips a month tomuse with the scanner for driving. You need a code from your prescriber to give to them.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
My spare is the same as my meter in use, a Freestyle Optium. Handy that it checks BG as well as ketones although the diabetes educator I met in hospital recently, who had a Freestyle Neo, was not aware you could test ketones with the Freestyle Optium.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have Libre on prescription long term and contact Abbott, they send you 50 blood strips a month tomuse with the scanner for driving. You need a code from your prescriber to give to them.

Chance would be a fine thing. Self funding in Leeds only. Though I have managed to wangle a couple of free packs of 10 from Abbot when having problems. I just wanted them as a confirmation for way out readings.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am aware of this, that's why my original post states that I wouldn't be ordering them all the time, if unused I'd only put an order in when they were nearing the expiry, as I do with the ketone strips as they never seem to be well dated, I didn't get to pick or choose meters so this situation was out of my hands xx
hi kaylz91 did you get to keep the meter from you libre trial if so the freestlye neo strips and ketone strips will work in that if you need some strips bg ones i do have spares long story you are very welcome to them .:)i have 100 spare all in date x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi kaylz91 did you get to keep the meter from you libre trial if so the freestlye neo strips and ketone strips will work in that if you need some strips bg ones i do have spares long story you are very welcome to them .:)i have 100 spare all in date x
Yes I did get to keep the meter too, I know the neo strips work in the Libre as well, that's why my DSN said I should order them when on the trial, to check accuracy of a scan etc, that's a lovely offer, thank you, I really appreciate it but I will just wait and see what the nurse says first as don't really want to take them off you if you are using them!! :) xx

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I did get to keep the meter too, I know the neo strips work in the Libre as well, that's why my DSN said I should order them when on the trial, to check accuracy of a scan etc, that's a lovely offer, thank you, I really appreciate it but I will just wait and see what the nurse says first as don't really want to take them off you if you are using them!! :) xx
i dont finger prick as often now im using libre but because im self funding i still order strips i know its wrong but i just get so frustrated with having to pay out for something that makes me more confident in managing my diabetes so my offer still stands x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i dont finger prick as often now im using libre but because im self funding i still order strips i know its wrong but i just get so frustrated with having to pay out for something that makes me more confident in managing my diabetes so my offer still stands x
Thanks, tell you what I'll see what the nurse says a week on Monday and if its a point blank no chance I'll take some, that sound ok to you? xx

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

when you say order.. is that on prescription or through Abbott?

I have the Freestyle Libre Reader (self funding) and the Freestyle Optium Neo and have been struggling to get hold of strips. I have an appointment with my GP this week to see if he will prescribe me the test strips. Surely my local CCG haven’t put restrictions on those too!

At the moment I’ve been using the sample strips that came with the Optium. Saves me from carrying a separate meter around! I drive daily ( a-lot) so still finger prick often.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when you say order.. is that on prescription or through Abbott?

I have the Freestyle Libre Reader (self funding) and the Freestyle Optium Neo and have been struggling to get hold of strips. I have an appointment with my GP this week to see if he will prescribe me the test strips. Surely my local CCG haven’t put restrictions on those too!

At the moment I’ve been using the sample strips that came with the Optium. Saves me from carrying a separate meter around! I drive daily ( a-lot) so still finger prick often.
I self fund the libre sensors but i get the strips on prescription i dont really use my freestyle optium neo for testing much as strips fit in libre reder so less things to carry about x

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I self fund the libre sensors but i get the strips on prescription i dont really use my freestyle optium neo for testing much as strips fit in libre reder so less things to carry about x

I assuming you self fund like me- because the libre sensors are not available on prescription in your area?

I am trying to push to get the strips on prescription too!

Edit: My nurse who doesn’t understand anything about diabetes or the libre- told me the strips are restricted in my area too. She made no effort to research or find out. My local pharmacy stock them and said other diabetics in this area receive them on prescription! So back to the surgery but this time an appointment with a GP!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meant to add dont fingerprick very often when wearing sensor unless feeling unwell

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I assuming you self fund like me- because the libre sensors are not available on prescription in your area?

Yes although had an appoint with consultant last week and he said he will refer me for free sensors you get first one of consultant at hospital then for 6 months off gp which is then reviewed after 6 months you have got to meet a criteria one being that you must test at least 8/10times daily.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Edit: My nurse who doesn’t understand anything about diabetes or the libre- told me the strips are restricted in my area too. She made no effort to research or find out. My local pharmacy stock them and said other diabetics in this area receive them on prescription! So back to the surgery but this time an appointment with a GP!
Are you a type 1 as i cant tell from phone app x

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes although had an appoint with consultant last week and he said he will refer me for free sensors you get first one of consultant at hospital then for 6 months off gp which is then reviewed after 6 months you have got to meet a criteria one being that you must test at least 8/10times daily.

Thats brilliant! Hopefully you will have better luck than me

The nurses at the diabetes clinic keep telling me that they/the diabetic consultant don’t offer the sensor. The consultant told me he will put me on a waiting list for it and to speak to the nurses about it. The nurses told me a waiting list doesn’t exist and to ask my GP or nurse at my GP practice. The nurse at my GP practice referred me back to the clinic... and said they only continue to prescribe it once the consultant has put me on it! They have sent me around in circles for the last 5 weeks!

I called the local CCG and they said it is available in my area (restricted to x number of patients)- if I meet the criteria (I think I do).

Not giving up... will get to the bottom of this

Edit: Sorry for hijacking this post with Libre biz

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats brilliant! Hopefully you will have better luck than me

The nurses at the diabetes clinic keep telling me that they/the diabetic consultant don’t offer the sensor. The consultant told me he will put me on a waiting list for it and to speak to the nurses about it. The nurses told me a waiting list doesn’t exist and to ask my GP or nurse at my GP practice. The nurse at my GP practice referred me back to the clinic... and said they only continue to prescribe it once the consultant has put me on it! They have sent me around in circles for the last 5 weeks!

I called the local CCG and they said it is available in my area (restricted to x number of patients)- if I meet the criteria (I think I do).

Not giving up... will get to the bottom of this

Edit: Sorry for hijacking this post with Libre biz
i got my trial libre from diabetic clinic not gp .when you go yo gp for strips dont let them know you self fund libre and tell them you cant afford strips yourself but you need them due to unstable bgs its a disgrace we have to fight for stuff which we need goodluck cranberryice ;)

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i got my trial libre from diabetic clinic not gp .when you go yo gp for strips dont let them know you self fund libre and tell them you cant afford strips yourself but you need them due to unstable bgs its a disgrace we have to fight for stuff which we need goodluck cranberryice ;)

Thank you lovely, will bare that in mind

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My Libre blood metre readings are way below my trusted, One Touch Verio metre. 4.7-5.9 at the last check, a huge difference. My Libre sensor readings are in line with the blood on the Libre metre. Is that deliberate? It makes you wonder. It just shows how important it is to go with how your body feels re lows and highs. And also, how none of this is totally accurate re weighing food in the infinitesimal grammes scenario. It strikes me that looking at anything less than 10 grammes and injecting for it is pointless.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Libre blood metre readings are way below my trusted, One Touch Verio metre. 4.7-5.9 at the last check, a huge difference. My Libre sensor readings are in line with the blood on the Libre metre. Is that deliberate? It makes you wonder. It just shows how important it is to go with how your body feels re lows and highs. And also, how none of this is totally accurate re weighing food in the infinitesimal grammes scenario. It strikes me that looking at anything less than 10 grammes and injecting for it is pointless.
I dont inject for anything 5g or under but i do have a half unit pen so this helps loads sometimes fingèrprick and libre are out between 1-2mmol other times spot on but like you mentioned i do tend to go with how i feel