Share Your Progress!

Peterseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well Year before last year our GP told me I had type2 and that was it .
My daughter suggested I should see a Diabetic Nurse so I did - my GP was on holiday so I saw a Doctor at the same practice as the DN because here that’s the way it goes .
I did not revisit that Doctor as my regular bloke came back from holidays so on my next visit to him - I have had a triple byr pass - I told him what I had done and all he said was continue to to test my BG now and again and that was it

In conversation with friends I was amazed that their doctors treated type 2 with some attention
For another matter I asked to be referred to a physio for pains in my back and that was last October and constant reminders bought no result till in February when after talking to friends I asked if I should be seeing a DN and he said yes so I told him I would make my own arrangements

I made an appointment to visit the nurse and she was most helpful - introduced me to the doctor at her practice and that doctor prepared a plan for me immediately

I have now had a blood test , urine test , eye test , foot test and an ultrascan to test my liver - the doctor prescribed metforim and I am to see her again next Tuesday

Had been taking readings first thing in morning - this morning 5.3 - before a meal and two hours after a meal

Wonder what my regular gp will say when I see him on Thursday- the understanding I have with the doctor who is interested in my diabetes is that I will continue to see the old gap for my other problems - maybe

Both doctors will know what is going on

Kind regards

Peter

kusadasi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone!

We're really curious to know how everyone's gotten on this year. Have you managed to lower your HbA1c? Maybe you've shed a few pounds and are feeling proud of yourself! Whatever you've managed this year, we want to know about it!
Thanks to the Forum, that answer many of my questions, in the last 6 months I lost 8 kilos (from 88 to 80), my 1AC from 5.7 to 4.87. My total cholesterol 118, HDL 49, LDL 57 and trigl. 64 and the best: I feel great

Thanks a lot

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
Nine months into my Low Carb diet, I have just had another meeting with my GP. Weight down 26 kilos from a year ago and about four kilos down since our last meeting three months back. The weight loss gets slower but it continues. After three or four months off insulin and metformin, my blood sugar HbA1c = 35 which my doctor says is 'almost too low.' (Do people here agree?) He asked how I had done it and when I mentioned low carb, he said they were beginning to advise patients to try low carb. Hurray. He adds that I am now no longer a diabetes patient. (I point out that this depends on my sticking to my diet.) Personally I recommend LCHF to everyone I see if they are a Type 2 diabetic -- provided that they can keep to the discipline of staying off potatoes, rice, desserts and booze and measuring their food intake. I was on diabetes medications for about 17 years and insulin for seven years, so it is a very welcome change.

Reactions: Prem51 and rom35

scousefly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone!

We're really curious to know how everyone's gotten on this year. Have you managed to lower your HbA1c? Maybe you've shed a few pounds and are feeling proud of yourself! Whatever you've managed this year, we want to know about it!

so I was diagnosed in February when my Hba was 98. They haven’t been able to tell me what type yet as I don’t fit a particular criteria which is frustrating but redone my Hba and it is now 51

Put on 3 kilos when they started me on insulin then I have lost 2 kilos since being on Merformin and an obvious change of diet nothing extreme just a bit more healthier. No sugar in tea, Bh peppermint tea more sugar free juice shots in my water and lots of fruit that I can now actually taste since stopping the sugar

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I've had a weight gaining year so far but mostly due to ibs and symptoms not being compatable with metformin side effects. A rough year for pain too. Back pain and scatica has left me at times unable to walk.
Wintertime was filled with viruses and springtime has been filled with infections.

On a huge positive note I'm awaiting for my appointment with the bariatric surgeon for an operation date.
My water tummy is still a huge concern for me but my main gp disregards it and puts it down to obesity.
I'll be interested to see what obesity surgeon thinks. My worry is infection from op. Incitions in water balloon area. I'm guessing endoscopy will put my mind at rest.
I'm just thankful i'm recommended for op after jumping through hoops.
I'm looking forward to the future as I know my new stomach will be respected and well looked after. An exciting new chapter in my life.
A chance to start again, from scratch. With a new babies tummy to nurture and multivitamins and minerals to support my big body to slim down. :) :) :)

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
so I was diagnosed in February when my Hba was 98. They haven’t been able to tell me what type yet as I don’t fit a particular criteria which is frustrating but redone my Hba and it is now 51

Put on 3 kilos when they started me on insulin then I have lost 2 kilos since being on Merformin and an obvious change of diet nothing extreme just a bit more healthier. No sugar in tea, Bh peppermint tea more sugar free juice shots in my water and lots of fruit that I can now actually taste since stopping the sugar
Well done on reducing your HbA1c from 98 to 51 @scousefly. You should try cutting out the fruit as that contains fructose sugar which will also raise your blood glucose level.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw my doc yesterday, and after she told me my HbA1c, she checked whether I was eating properly, suspecting an eating disorder.... Was right pleased with my answers, so instead of every 3 months, we're going to test every half year. Keto and IF (mostly skipping breakfast, but going to give 24-hour fasts a go too) got my numbers down to 34. Yay!

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Saw my doc yesterday, and after she told me my HbA1c, she checked whether I was eating properly, suspecting an eating disorder.... Was right pleased with my answers, so instead of every 3 months, we're going to test every half year. Keto and IF (mostly skipping breakfast, but going to give 24-hour fasts a go too) got my numbers down to 34. Yay!
Yes I can see why they will write eating disorder on your medical notes. They must believe in eat well plate?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I can see why they will write eating disorder on your medical notes. They must believe in eat well plate?
She suspected a disorder, but was satisfied when I gave her a rundown of my usual meals, confirmed by my husband, who went with me. She's quite liberal, but I'm the first in her practice to go this route & stick with it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I can't feel my progress, Sometimes I feel like giving up
Well don't.
Keep at it.
Nothing stays the same... ever.!!!
I was shocked when I lost weight last year.
Low carb and low/medium fat. No bread, no pasta, no potato and no rice. No sugar added. Basic meals in smaller portions.

Dajana

Nine months into my Low Carb diet, I have just had another meeting with my GP. Weight down 26 kilos from a year ago and about four kilos down since our last meeting three months back. The weight loss gets slower but it continues. After three or four months off insulin and metformin, my blood sugar HbA1c = 35 which my doctor says is 'almost too low.' (Do people here agree?) He asked how I had done it and when I mentioned low carb, he said they were beginning to advise patients to try low carb. Hurray. He adds that I am now no longer a diabetes patient. (I point out that this depends on my sticking to my diet.) Personally I recommend LCHF to everyone I see if they are a Type 2 diabetic -- provided that they can keep to the discipline of staying off potatoes, rice, desserts and booze and measuring their food intake. I was on diabetes medications for about 17 years and insulin for seven years, so it is a very welcome change.

Hi, @TwoRivers I hope you're well! We have a press team that we work closely with to help raise the profile of diabetes, expel myths and raise awareness - would you mind if I forward your details onto them? I think you would be an amazing case study!

If you are interested, please could you give me your email address and phone number to pass onto our team who will then be in touch.

Kind regards,
Dajana
Diabetes.co.uk

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am not here a lot, but still going strong! My latest HbA1c was 38, but my blood pressure has been high in the clinic (perfectly normal at home), and my HDL cholesterol is higher. My GP found it alarming :banghead:. Ugh, even on the NHS website it says the higher the better for HDL :cool: I am SO glad I am keeping informed, otherwise I would be glowing in the dark from all the medication I would take!

Reactions: Prem51

nanamama

A little over one year ago in May I was diagnosed with multiple autoimmune diseases, 2 of which requiring high dose steroids. I had never had a problem with glucose until then.My first abnormal glucose reading was a little over 500. Talk about shocked! I was place on Metformin by my physician. Immediately I began researching diets that designed to deal with lowering glucose, support immune system, or support liver and detox as well as heal a leaky gut in an effort to find the common denominators. Thinking that a healthy gut was required for proper absorption of any nutrients, that became the base and most important element of my new dietary regimen.

To this I added exercise. Having been bedridden for several years now, I started out walking very slowly on a treadmill for 3 minutes at a time. Gradually I built up both in length of time and how many times a day I walked. Currently, still not fast but faster than I was at the beginning, I am walking 20-30 min for 2 or 3 times a day to get a total of one hour a day. I have more energy, less pain and better glucose control.

I saw great results starting immediately. Have lost about 10% of my total body weight and my A1C is 5.8% in spite of still being on high dose steroids!!!

billigee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone!

Not posted before but do read other posters and so I thought I have to add to success stories. Diagnosed T2 in February decided to follow low carb program after 3 months more or less keeping to low carb I have lost 7kg and HBA1C has reduced from 104 to 46 really chuffed

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I thought I would post my story as inspiration for others.
I was diagnosed completely out of the blue in October 2017. No real typical signs or symptoms, yes I was over weight but otherwise healthy and well. A blood test was taken and came back with a BG reading of 10.8 this was followed by a second test 10.1, diagnosis type 2 diabetic.
To say this was a shock is an understatement, I was scared and extremely upset but was determined to find out everything I could and do whatever was necessary to get myself and my body under control.
I was invited to the diabetic clinic, received the generic advice about diet, everything in moderation, increase exercise, no need to test blood and would I like to go on a course about healthy eating? I listened, refused the course but promised to do what I could without medication and see how things went. This was 22nd Nov, finger prick test carried out by DN nurse 9.1
I came home, cried for a little bit, then got angry with myself, then felt sorry for myself all the normal emotions that go with experiencing major change or upset. I started to follow a calorie controlled diet and was making progress with weight loss, no idea about BG levels as I was following the advice of not needing to test.
Fast forward to Christmas, enjoyed Christmas dinner, x3, one for my visiting family ahead of the actual day, one with colleagues and then my own, had lost about 1 stone and was generally coping with my new way of living.
Then the revelation of LCHF courtesy of this amazing forum. Everything I was reading made sense, I did some additional research, found DietDoctor and thought again this all seems to make complete sense to me, I’m going to try it. Out went the calorie counting, in came the eggs, bacon, cream, butter and a meter.
I started with a limit of about 70g carbs per day, it took a little while to identify low carb substitutes for some things but almost immediately I felt the benefits. As I’ve already mentioned I was in reasonably good health before my diagnosis but was now sleeping better, had more energy, my good skin was now glowing, I felt full without feeling stuffed or heavy and I was loosing weight, oh and of course my BG numbers were getting lower.
February 2018 first check up at the clinic. Met at the door by the nurse, who was beside herself with excitement, eager to tell me how well I’d done and wanting to know how I’d done it, she took being told that I’d basically ignored her well. Over 2 stone lost and BG in the pre-diabetic range 6.3
Fast forward to today, almost 5 stone lighter and “normal” BG 5.6, blood pressure not an issue before or at time of diagnosis but that is now the lowest it has ever been, likewise cholesterol 4.1 at diagnosis 4.0 at first check up 4.1 now
I appreciate I still have some weight to shift however there is no immediate rush, I have achieved my initial goal, to control this condition and be as well as I can be. I am confident I can sustain this new way of “living” as I have enjoyed a foreign holiday and several family celebrations in the past 2-3 months without having to deny myself or inconvenience others. I have discovered new foods and tried things I previously disliked but now absolutely love so my future is looking good.
I would like to say a massive thank you to all the friends I have made here, your support and motivation is worthy of awards, your patience in answering questions for the umpteenth time is to be commended and your advice has been my saving grace at times. I would also like to say hi to all the new friends I’ve yet to discover and if I can help any of you in any way please feel free to ask. I wish all of us well and happy healthy futures.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51