Protein Shake/Supplement for Muscle Building

Kash2001

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good muscle building supplement to go along with my training. I eat reasonably healthy but to build larger muscle and put on the weight I need more than I can consume in normal food.

Most of the whey powders have so much sugar or carb content in them that hits the system to hard for my liking.

Are their any type one diabetics that are weight/power lifter/rugby players that can offer some advice on useful supplements for muscle assisted growth, or re energizing fatigued muscles or even joint flexibility supplements.

I already use glucosamine and auto immune supplements what else is useful to aid my training.

ATB

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: Protein Shake/Supplement for Muscle Building.

PM onemanunit if he is still around.He is a body builder I think.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi ATB,

I have been using a protein/creatine mix called Hurricane XS. It has slower digesting carbs and doesn't affect my blood sugar levels too badly. PM me and I'll give you the link to the site I buy it from - I realise I'm not supposed to use the forum for advertising as such.

Any questions about it, give me a shout.

Sam.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

The soya protein isolate powder that I use for bread making is 1% carb and I get it from Holland and Barrett.

ally5555

Kash - do you have a dietitian who can assess your diet. I am a sports dietitian and often find that people are taking more protein than they think. There is little evidence that going over 2g/kg will build more muscle. Taking a protein shake after training is prob the best time - look at maximuscle site they have some low carb high protein shakes.

Kash2001

Thanks ally555 for the info, I assume that its not only the protein in the mix that helps to build muscle, I'm not interested in steroids - Never have or will and advise my students away from them. I would imagine it would be very unwise for a type 1 to take stuff like that :evil:

But they're must be something in the mix or a product that can help growth of the muscle other than training and tearing the muscle to increase size/mass by itself.

I eat fish/chicken/boiled potatoes/rice/toast so the protein is there but even though a train pretty hard 3/4 times a week I just can't seem to increase size, and any gains made are lost when I am sick with a virus.

Got a supplement on the way, so I'll be interested in what happens to sugar levels with it.
ATB
Paul

ally5555

hi Kash - its the protein that builds the muscle and carbs or the lack of them can result in protein being used for energy.

Yes steroids are evil in fact there was alot on tv today about a young army recruit who died from steroid abuse! What do you teach?

runsweet.com is a good website for type1 who are exercising.

allyx

Kash2001

I know runsweet.com in fact I am under Dr Gallen known him for years, who I think created it ?? he's a good sort.

I teach Martial arts, been teaching 20 years, we do stand up (requiring cardio) and ground fighting (requiring strength) been doing M.A. for 28 years and still love it !

But never been able to put on the muscle. I have a wire-ry strength shall we say but would like to up the power/weight aspect.

Yes I heard about the recruit - terrible, but as we all know it doesn't only happen there, nearly all the gyms my students go to, get them offered to them!

One of my lads at a club is a Type 1 and he's definitely taken something - classical steroid traits shall we say, he's power is good but long term i think he'll be in trouble.

Maybe its the carbs that are my problem, perhaps I'm burning off the protein as energy, will have a re-evaluate. One of my problems is I just can't eat 5/6 small meals a day, I'm not a snacker - 3 meals a day is my limit.

Do you train ally555 ? if so whats your thing.

ATB

ally5555

Hi Kash - maybe the carbs in non diabetics it is often the case and I have worked with alot of elite athletes that do not eat enough and cannot build muscle. It is also prob targeting food at the right time .

I do go to the gym about 3 times a week and also do some lite weights at home - I dont like doing them at the gym! I go to the Vale which is full of rugby teams and foot ballers ( I am in Wales lol)
I also like hill walking - my other half is very into that altho I slow him down. We climbed aran berllyn in snowdon over easter - 900m and I def needed some extra carbs. It was a very rugged climb and I hit a wall near the top but other half who is bossy made me climb it.

I am not diabetic by the way but I do have quite a no of diabetic clients - 2 are running the london on sunday and they have done it before. it has been alot of trial and error but they find that if they start at under 10 and munch carbs thro the race they finish with a bs under 7. they tend to use a carb drink and one likes the gels (yuk). Ill let you know how they do!

I think Ian Gallen is inspirational - have heard him speak several times and yes it is his site.

did you hear about the young lad who died recently from steroid overdos - in wales

diana15

Protein powders are available in several flavors, with variety and variety. The powder can be mixed with water, milk or fruit juice. Protein shakes are easy to prepare which is an advantage for all proteins in an organism needs. If you are weight training, must be the ingestion of 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight. A popular way to get a complete protein supplement with the proceeds of Maximuscle cyclone. People in the UK, is one of the best ways to get a mixture of proteins and nutrients.

Kash2001

I thought cyclone powder carries a lot of sugars like dextrose etc. Point is I'm looking for higher protein that doesnt effect suger levels mainly that will boost power & gain a bit of weight. Not sure there is such a product out there. Most online shops don't reply to requests for such a product.

Ooohh well l'll keep an eye out.

Atb.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Check out myprotein.co.uk. They do sugar free protein powder in a range of flavours, and let you choose what type (and how much) artificial sweetener to add.

Kash2001

Hi Patch,

Done a search on sugar free etc, most products have Sucralose® in them, which I have heard is not good for diabetic control, and has long term chemical implications. for example Hurricane XS has it in and it seemed the best Ive found.

Thanks for the website link it seems a good one. Do you have any recommendations as to types of protein shakes etc.

ATB
Kash

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

i used their own brand Protein powder. I tried the Raspberry flavour - it was nie, but really sweet. When I order again, I'll ask that they put in half of the usual amount of sweetener.

Just buy a bucket of the powder and mix up each serving with water - I've added a little cream to make it more of a shake. Goes down a treat.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Been bodybuilding now for 4 years. Just take a low carb shake post-workout. I use bulkpowders. Stay clear of Holland and Barret's, lol. I also have a shake at 3pm with a banana

g-man

I use PHD Pharma Whey HT+ Chocolate Cookie flavour. :)

Probably the best tasting protein on the market (IMO), quite low on the sugar content and high on protein. Mixes really well.

It still raises your BG a little but then I doubt you'll find a protein powder that doesn't, but you can figure this into the equation.

Remember to drink lots of fluids when you take additional protein!

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol

PHD is awsome stuff bud just a little expensive for me being a student, :lol:

joelcam

Hi,

jbc-nutrition is very good and I use their own branded products rather than the better know names....I put on a stone in just under 6 months using their whey protein (lost it all though as I stopped weight training!)

I used the whey protein as it had 42g protein per serving and very little carbs - tastes nice too.

JC

g-man

joelcam said:
Hi,

jbc-nutrition is very good and I use their own branded products rather than the better know names....I put on a stone in just under 6 months using their whey protein (lost it all though as I stopped weight training!)

I used the whey protein as it had 42g protein per serving and very little carbs - tastes nice too.

JC

The PHD stuff has a slightly higher percentage of protein per serving (74% as opposed to 70%) but otherwise they seem quite similar. It's all down to personal preference in taste. I've tried most of the proteins out there and my preference is the PHD stuff, so I have now stopped checking others.

Interesting that you put on a stone in under 6 months, I suspect this was more to do with whatever training you had going, as the whey protein only helps maintain and build the muscle rather than adding bulk.

I know exactly about losing it all though, I'm out of gym commission due to a back injury so I keep taking the protein to maintain the muscle until I can get back there. :)