How Are You Doing T1s? Life, Thoughts, Bgs, Ups & Downs

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi, my start and if this thread is pants, well so what. I really would like to hear from everyone who's been dealing with the madam of a beast longer than me.......................... 8 months and I'm well pricked off. It'd be lovely to hear anything from anyone. I'm not sure how this thread'll be different or the direction, that's what's good.Post a thought, say a niceness or have a laugh or a scream

Reactions: boboblck

Larajane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I have t1 for about a year being so so young I find it just as difficult , constant thoughts of why me , it should get easier the more people you can talk to the easier it will get easier xx

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, my start and if this thread is pants, well so what. I really would like to hear from everyone who's been dealing with the madam of a beast longer than me.......................... 8 months and I'm well pricked off. It'd be lovely to hear anything from anyone. I'm not sure how this thread'll be different or the direction, that's what's good.Post a thought, say a niceness or have a laugh or a scream

Hi, I was diagnosed with T1 at the age of 5 which was 34 years ago!
I think acceptance of the condition and realising that you are in control is very important. You control your diabetes, not the other way around. I have never, nor will ever let diabetes dictate what I do in life.... yes it can be a pain, yes it can be an inconvenience at times and yes it can interfere with all sorts of things, however only as much as you let it. Top tip would be to learn everything you can and become an expert on how your body functions. For me, the pump was a game changer, as was going very low carb.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I was diagnosed with T1 at the age of 5 which was 34 years ago!
I think acceptance of the condition and realising that you are in control is very important. You control your diabetes, not the other way around. I have never, nor will ever let diabetes dictate what I do in life.... yes it can be a pain, yes it can be an inconvenience at times and yes it can interfere with all sorts of things, however only as much as you let it. Top tip would be to learn everything you can and become an expert on how your body functions. For me, the pump was a game changer, as was going very low carb.
What she said.

I've had it 40 years from age 10. Didn't have good control throughout teens and have quite a few complications. But I come from a tome when glass syringes were used, boiled and then re-used. Needles were the size of blood taking needles...and yes, re-used. And blood sugars were checked by peeing in a test tube and throwing in a tablet that turned blue or orange. Blue was under 10 (ish) and orange was over 12 (ish) depending on your renal threshold for glucose. So not quite the science it is today!

I did know a diabetic woman (a colleague) that really hated her DM to the point where she would almost ignore it. I worked as a junior doctor at the time and would often have to treat her for DKA. Unfortunately she died at a very young age - mid 20's I seem to recall.

So live your life the way you want. Don't let it take over your life but be sensible and don't ignore it. Try to get good control but don't become obsessive about it to the point where it is all you think about.

Reactions: mountaintom

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And CGM. If your HA will support it. It is expensive and quite tricky to get on the NHS. But if you are offered a pump with CGM monitoring. Just say YES

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
And CGM. If your HA will support it. It is expensive and quite tricky to get on the NHS. But if you are offered a pump with CGM monitoring. Just say YES
Yeah!! Thanks @MinaRotter You've really noticed the change in treatment and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for sharing that, it makes me appreciate the pricks I have to suffer are nothing and the 4mm needles of little consequence in comparison. @Fairygodmother suggested a CGM but I'll need to check with the local NHS.
Thanks @River83 for the toptip......................... sounds like something from Viz, 34 years is quite amazing
@Larajane when I was first diagnosed, I was very very angry and kept asking myself "Why me?", no answer. Nope, no answer so we've just got to suck it up and get on with it like the guys that have posted so far.

The good news is I made a fab meal yesterday, Korean chicken soaked in gochujang!!!! with kimchi and rice and can happily report an amazing BG of 4.7 this lovely sunny morning.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Come November, I will have been diagnosed for 40 years. Glass syringe, urine tests in a little test tube, ketone testing on a little tablet and a very rigid diet ("You MUST eat these amounts of carbohydrate at these times or things could go very wrong." is more or less what I was told.)

I often asked "why me?" and it took about 2 years for me to accept it as my new way of life.

After many changes of insulin along with disposable syringes, insulin pens, blood testing (with strips and colour charts then with meters), I am now on an insulin pump with cgm. These are the best things ever!

Type 1 is never easy. Something always comes along and rocks the boat a little or a lot, but you learn to cope with these ups and downs, sometimes alone and sometimes with help from DSN or the forum.

My FBG was 8.2 this morning. I'm doing a basal test to see whether my 10am basal needs to be increased, so am having hot water with a slice of lemon to fill the gap till lunch. My target is 6 - 8.

Last edited:

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sine the age of 3 so 40+ years now. Does it **** me off yea some days!!