Pump One Insulin, Simultaneously Mdi Another?

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is a really quite a crazy idea but I’d love to hear what you think. It’s just an idea. On another post I mentioned how, eventually, Fiasp wasn’t a good match for me except a bit better for eating and I’ve moved back to Humalog. Someone kindly posted the suggestion of MDI, I guess with 2x long acting and Fiasp MDI for carbs. This does make sense but I can’t imagine not pumping. I use sensors and have a good few basal rates.

I’m now pondering MDI for eating with Fiasp and keeping pump on Humalog for basal and sensor. I have a spare pump and half considered wearing two, one for each insulin but it might frazzle my mind and annoy me clothes / tubing wise!

I hope there are no contraindications using these two insulins together but I doubt it’s been tested. Unless anyone else had a similar crazy idea?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve asked my team about using two basals - my usual Tresiba for all the time, with a top up of just one unit of Levemir one week a month when I’m a bit insulin resistant and need an increase that takes effect quickly. Sadly they were having none of it. Said they both act in different ways and there’s been no research into mixing them. Maybe you’ll have better luck? I believe @donnellysdogs uses an interesting mixture.

Reactions: London36_

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is a really quite a crazy idea but I’d love to hear what you think. It’s just an idea. On another post I mentioned how, eventually, Fiasp wasn’t a good match for me except a bit better for eating and I’ve moved back to Humalog. Someone kindly posted the suggestion of MDI, I guess with 2x long acting and Fiasp MDI for carbs. This does make sense but I can’t imagine not pumping. I use sensors and have a good few basal rates.

I’m now pondering MDI for eating with Fiasp and keeping pump on Humalog for basal and sensor. I have a spare pump and half considered wearing two, one for each insulin but it might frazzle my mind and annoy me clothes / tubing wise!

I hope there are no contraindications using these two insulins together but I doubt it’s been tested. Unless anyone else had a similar crazy idea?
Two pumps will make your bolus wizards’ lives impossible. :(

Reactions: London36_

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The bolus wizard on the pump only pays attention to bolused insulin, it doesn't take your basal into account, so you can bolus with a Fiasp pen while using, say, Humalog in the pump, and not let the pump know. Alternately, you can use the pump bolus wizard, and then disconnect the pump from the site to bolus while you use the pen if you want. That way you have a very rough guide to IoB.

For what it's worth, I keep a small supply of Fiasp in the fridge to use for injecting when I know there's fun things coming up and there are no issues with using it alongside Humalog.