Garlic Mystery Solved!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, my hands have smelled/stunk (perception mostly depending on time of day ) of garlic on and off for the past two days. So I've been showering, changing my clothes, washing my hands more often than in the past two months, cleaning the tap and checking my dishwasher. To no avail, the smell on my hands kept returning. And the last time I cooked with garlic was the day before yesterday . So an annoying mystery it was.
I even smelled the insides and outsides of the cases of my meter and insulin pen, but nothing exept a bit of 'old' smell making me question how other people keep their cases cleanish , but definitely not enough of garlic to explain my smelly hands.
That is , until just now. I finally thought to smell the pen itself (had removed it when sniffing the case) and - eureka! - I must have injected while cooking a couple of days ago after some garlic squirted uit off the press and on my hands!
It's a bit of a yuck story, but funny as well, I think. And it makes me wonder if and how you keep your diabetic equipment clean. After all, it goes through our hands multiple times a day.
Or are our pens , meters and cases as dirty as the average smartphone?

Reactions: Grannypat

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you are washing your hands after using garlic, run your hands on stainless steel, like your faucet and the smell will go away! Good question about supplies, though....I need to stop this note and go test and wash my stuff:) thanks for the reminder:) Cheers/L

Reactions: zand and satindoll

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same problem.......I discovered a smidgin of juice under my wedding ring........now I make sure to remove it before prepping garlic or onion.......:bag:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I wash the cases in the washing machine.

Reactions: luv2spin

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@lindijanice ........I have one of those soap shaped steel slabs and it does work.......nice to see you about.......hope you are well.............:rolleyes:

Reactions: Antje77

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
Cleaning the Meter

Gently wipe the meter's surface with a soft cloth slightly dampened (wring out any excess liquid) with 70 % isopropyl alcohol.

Cleaning Your Lancing Device

Clean the outside of the lancing device regularly with 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Let it air-dry.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cleaning the Meter

Gently wipe the meter's surface with a soft cloth slightly dampened (wring out any excess liquid) with 70 % isopropyl alcohol.

Cleaning Your Lancing Device

Clean the outside of the lancing device regularly with 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Let it air-dry.
But what about the cases they live in? Those get handled all the time... (although I must admit I never thought to clean the equipment itself until my pen stunk of garlic :p )

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
But what about the cases they live in? Those get handled all the time... (although I must admit I never thought to clean the equipment itself until my pen stunk of garlic :p )

I checked the manual of the one I am using and there is nothing written specifically on how to do the Cleaning/Disinfection of the case.

But, it is recommended that the lancing device is cleaned/disinfected weekly and the meter, as necessary. This, I do myself regularly. I have no idea where one may obtain this 70 % isopropyl alcohol in UK but, over here, the chemist in the shop prepares it for my asking :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @satindoll, am struggling to tweak eating with IBSD a real nuisance, liver dumps, etc. but, hey, life goes on and I'm loving it:) Cheers/L
I'm finding being new to IBS just how inconvenient it is with my metformin. I read thou that bariatric surgery can get rid of IBS. So I guess for some it's definitely diet influenced.
How long have you had yours?

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
It it llegal here to whip babies

Not only that, but they lose their texture. Babies should be gently folded into the mixture before carefully transfering it to a greased cake tin. If you whip the babies the mixture loses its trapped gas making the resulting baby cakes hard and heavy.

PDR

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not only that, but they lose their texture. Babies should be gently folded into the mixture before carefully transfering it to a greased cake tin. If you whip the babies the mixture loses its trapped gas making the resulting baby cakes hard and heavy.

PDR
So that's the way to get rid of trapped gas! I always wondered. I would love to be hard and heavy.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

PDR
Ah.... JELLY BABIES. Yes best folded than whipped. Ha ha

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Equipment, clean, cleaning ...................... ? nope you've lost me there.:rolleyes:

I use baby whips on my meter

Although I like the idea of using a tiny little whip to 'clean'* my meter, might take some time though! :D

*what ever that actually means!

D

Deleted Account

I wash the cases in the washing machine.
I chucked my case the day I got the meter. It's just extra bulk and meters are very robust.
I usually put my diabetes kit straight into a change pocket into my handbag which is not possible with the meter case.
My touch control meter is now two and a half years old and has no scratch on it.

As for cleaning the meter, I just use a damp cloth.
I stay away from baby wipes (or whips :) ) as most are not biodegradable (or very expensive) and I'd rather reduce the waste I leave on the planet.

Reactions: Antje77