Hypochondriac Or Possible Cause For Concern

bencurtin

Hi,

I am 16 years old and am quite small and skinny. Recently I have been urinating very often (up to every 20 minutes for several hours) and excreting over 4l a day. I am peeing lots mostly due to being very thirsty and so drinking a lot which I thought was abnormal. I looked this up and found that these are common symptoms of diabetes and so is fatigue; I have been fatigued for a while but I am just putting this down to exam stress as I am doing my GCSEs. Are these symptoms dangerous enough that I should see my GP ASAP or can I wait two weeks until my exams have finished?

Thank you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are certainly symptoms of diabetes, but other things as well. Always a good idea to see a GP though, and the sooner the better.

Reactions: bencurtin

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes, get it seen to ... that's not being a hypochondriac, just sensible

Reactions: bencurtin

bencurtin

Hi @bencurtin ,

Welcome to the forum. & good news you are seeking professional medical help!

I heartily agree with the guys above... See a doctor.

Good luck!

I saw my doctor yesterday and she is worried it could be Type 1 Diabetes. Booked for a urine test and a fasting blood test a week from now. Hopefully, I'm not too ill but if I do come back with high blood glucose concentrations at least I have this website for support. Thanks all!

Reactions: Struma and briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I saw my doctor yesterday and she is worried it could be Type 1 Diabetes. Booked for a urine test and a fasting blood test a week from now.

The best of luck with that and with your exams. :)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I saw my doctor yesterday and she is worried it could be Type 1 Diabetes. Booked for a urine test and a fasting blood test a week from now. Hopefully, I'm not too ill but if I do come back with high blood glucose concentrations at least I have this website for support. Thanks all!
Great to hear this. Was there a reason why there is a one week wait? It sounds like your symptoms are making it tough for you day to day. If you feel worse, please don't hesitate to call the helpline for advice (is it 111 in the UK?) day or night.

If diagnosed with type 1, and you feel your exam performance has been affected (or you are unable to attend an exam), there is usually a way for that to be taken into account, with a doctor's letter.

bencurtin

Great to hear this. Was there a reason why there is a one week wait? It sounds like your symptoms are making it tough for you day to day. If you feel worse, please don't hesitate to call the helpline for advice (is it 111 in the UK?) day or night.

If diagnosed with type 1, and you feel your exam performance has been affected (or you are unable to attend an exam), there is usually a way for that to be taken into account, with a doctor's letter.
Hey sorry for the late reply, been busy with exams and revision. I submitted the urine test a few days after the post, but I am not sure why the blood test was booked for a week from my appointment (tomorrow now). The doctor did, however, prescribe me Oxybutynin Hydrochloride which acts on my bladder muscles so that the urge to urinate gets masked by the effect of the drug. Therefore, one of the more annoying symptoms is now less of a problem so it hasn't been so bad though my excessive thirst and fatigue has not let up and occasionally I am feeling quite unwell. And thank you for the suggestion, I will call 111 if I start to feel more unwell as I seen that diabetic ketoacidosis is a dangerous complication of undiagnosed Type 1 Diabetes. Thank ou for your concerns :)