Help! -a Great Low-carb Opportunity In Parliament

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I remember a local mp saying that as they get so many emails and letters their staff screen them and only the most important/urgent get a response, and that will actually be written by a SPAD/pa. A single letter/email on a subject is unlikely to get more than an acknowlegement. 10 letters/emails on one issue will get more interest. 100+ is most likely to be followed up.
But MPs are aware of computer generated identical email/letter formats which are regarded more as political campaigning rather than individual constituent's concerns.
My MP says the highest number of identical emails she ever received were about the decline of the bee population - over 4,000 (in a London constituency).
She said it isn't possible to reply individually to each one so they all got a standard reply.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got that too from Mr Loughton.. do you think they all have the same generic "p**s off constituent" reply? Maybe it comes with the MP e-mail account?

Me too - must be a template on the Parliamentary intranet.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Done.. will this be viewable on the BBC parliament programme??

Reactions: ringi

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So far I have had three MPs confirm attendance, so this is working (in addition to the APPG itself)
Seema Kennedy
Sara Wollaston
Damien Moore
Others pending
A reminder to put your home address in .
Thanks so much for your efforts
cheers
David

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MPs are aware of computer generated identical email/letter formats which are regarded more as political campaigning rather than individual constituent's concerns.

My email was completely different from Dr Unwins (other than the date and time of the APPG meeting) for that reason, although by boring him with my life story Dr Cable may fall asleep before he reaches the end of it.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done. Damian Green is my MP. I haven't seen him mentioned yet so another one to the fold.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PLEASE would you consider contacting your MP??. We need political clout to help us get our approach out there- and a great opportunity approaches- I will be presenting the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11 Parliament. The more MPs who attend the better.

-use Google to find who your MP is and their e-mail- several sites just need your postcode.
I have penned a suggested letter below

Dear X

I live in your constituency at (address)
PLEASE would you attend an important parliamentary event about drug-free, money saving, diabetes remission and giving hope to people with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes (10% of the population).

Dr David Unwin RCGP Diabetes Champion is presenting important low carb diabetes work in Parliament as the keynote address to the APPG on diabetes (Keith Vaz MP is chair) 5pm Wednesday June 27th committee room 11

Please support people like me with diabetes by attending, and possibly even publicise this event through your many contacts

Have sent to Layla Moran - Oxford West and Abingdon

Reactions: Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the following reply from Vicky Foxcroft

Thank you for your email regarding the treatment of diabetes through low-carb diets.

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend the debate on 27 June, due to clashes with my duties as an Opposition Whip. However, I agree with you that this is a highly important issue.

Diabetes is one of the most serious public health problems facing the UK today. I believe it is paramount that there is concerted action to support the estimated four million adults and children in the UK living with the condition.

Patients need accessible, high-quality education and support - including information on dietary considerations, and access to new technologies that will allow them to manage their condition and to achieve positive outcomes.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me and for sharing your personal experiences.

Best wishes,

Vicky Foxcroft
Member of Parliament for Lewisham Deptford

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tim Loughton “should attend if his diary permits” which sounds rather like a brush off or an (if he can be a***ed) reply. I’d really like to know if he goes. Apparently there is another on CGM’s soon which the minion who replied got muddled up with.
I did point out that as my email had stated date,time and location of the meeting it may have been courteous to have read it...before replying.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t had a reply yet :( Maybe I should resend it?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Tim Loughton “should attend if his diary permits” which sounds rather like a brush off or an (if he can be a***ed) reply. I’d really like to know if he goes. Apparently there is another on CGM’s soon which the minion who replied got muddled up with.
I did point out that as my email had stated date,time and location of the meeting it may have been coutrteous to have read it...before replying.
You can check in Hansard if he goes and what he says if so. Easy enough to search via the web. Also They Work fot You website allows you to set up alerts for topics discussed e.g Diabetes.

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nor have I. I was wondering the same as you. I think I will.
Mine actually replied to say he would attend. I was quite surprised, since he's never agreed to do anything I've asked him before.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the following reply from Vicky Foxcroft

Thank you for your email regarding the treatment of diabetes through low-carb diets.

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend the debate on 27 June, due to clashes with my duties as an Opposition Whip. However, I agree with you that this is a highly important issue.

Diabetes is one of the most serious public health problems facing the UK today. I believe it is paramount that there is concerted action to support the estimated four million adults and children in the UK living with the condition.

Patients need accessible, high-quality education and support - including information on dietary considerations, and access to new technologies that will allow them to manage their condition and to achieve positive outcomes.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me and for sharing your personal experiences.

Best wishes,

Vicky Foxcroft
Member of Parliament for Lewisham Deptford
Very impressive.. a real response at least.