Two Shots?

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a maximum amount of insulin you should inject into any one site? I’m injecting 17 units of levemir morning and evening and I’m sure some seems to be coming out afterwards even when I leave the needle in for 10 seconds.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a maximum amount of insulin you should inject into any one site? I’m injecting 17 units of levemir morning and evening and I’m sure some seems to be coming out afterwards even when I leave the needle in for 10 seconds.

Hi @Andy41 ,

Silly question. Do you regularly rotate sites & wait a minimum of 10 seconds before pulling out the needle..... That amount shouldn't realy give much issue in one go....

Reactions: Dodo and Andy41

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A very little insulin seems to come out almost always. I don't worry about it, and besides, if it always does it doesn't really matter, as your doses are based on your readings.

Reactions: Dodo and Andy41

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why? I thought this forum was for asking questions.

You know what Antje?! I just re-read the original post by Andy & was about to kick myself for mentioning the "10 second" delay.... :banghead:

In answer to yours.... I try to cover tha "basics" first. In the hope the basic isn't tooooooooooo. :rolleyes:;):p

Reactions: porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You know what Antje?! I just re-read the original post by Andy & was about to kick myself for mentioning the "10 second" delay.... :banghead:

In answer to yours.... I try to cover tha "basics" first. In the hope the basic isn't tooooooooooo. :rolleyes:;):p
Oh, wait, now I get it! You weren't referring to Andy41's question as silly but to your own! I'm sorry! I was wondering why someone , especially a moderator, would tell someone they asked a silly question. Very happy that wasn't the case. I'm tired and something to do with English not being my first language :)

(Hope this doesn't post three times, the forum seems to suffer a glitch)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, wait, now I get it! You weren't referring to Andy41's question as silly but to your own! I'm sorry! I was wondering why someone , especially a moderator, would tell someone they asked a silly question. Very happy that wasn't the case. I'm tired and something to do with English not being my first language :)

Yep, it's like writing "spoiler alert." Before reviewing a show? I'm warning the recipient (OP.) that I maybe asking a silly question... It's a preemptive apology if they have covered what I ask... :)

Glad we sorted that one out!

Reactions: Andy41 and Antje77

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.

I thought the same as you did when I first read it, but then I realised what he meant. It wasn't just you who read it that way. And I'm not tired, and English is my first language.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I asked the same question when I first noticed the same thing. I use a different basal and dose to you, but it appears that as long as you wait the required 10 seconds before withdrawing the needle, the amount that comes out of your dose, and/or the pen after it has released your dose, is so small that it wouldn't make a major difference. I've observed that a drop of Lantus comes out of my needle and pen even after I shake the previous one off. So I think it's the vacuum within the needle, and just a normal part of how the pen works.

I have read on the forum about people injecting greater than 30u of their insulin in one go, with no issues. Needle length may be a factor but I've only used 4mm needles so wouldn't know.

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Andy41 ,

Silly question. Do you regularly rotate sites & wait a minimum of 10 seconds before pulling out the needle..... That amount shouldn't realy give much issue in one go....

I do unless I’m in a rush. And I understood you weren’t referring to my question being silly

Reactions: Antje77

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked the same question when I first noticed the same thing. I use a different basal and dose to you, but it appears that as long as you wait the required 10 seconds before withdrawing the needle, the amount that comes out of your dose, and/or the pen after it has released your dose, is so small that it wouldn't make a major difference. I've observed that a drop of Lantus comes out of my needle and pen even after I shake the previous one off. So I think it's the vacuum within the needle, and just a normal part of how the pen works.

I have read on the forum about people injecting greater than 30u of their insulin in one go, with no issues. Needle length may be a factor but I've only used 4mm needles so wouldn't know.

Thank you. I can carry on with my 1 shot with a little more confidence now.

Reactions: Antje77 and Jenny15

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do unless I’m in a rush. And I understood you weren’t referring to my question being silly

I'm quite often bolusing in a rush.. :)

You could try checking the accuracy of your pen? By firing 20 units carfully into the needle cap, up to the red line (Indicated below..) comes.

The cap holds exactly 20U.

Sorry about the dodgy image poor light on an iPad. But you get the idea..
image.jpeg

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm quite often bolusing in a rush.. :)

You could try checking the accuracy of your pen? By firing 20 units carfully into the needle cap, up to the red line (Indicated below..) comes.

The cap holds exactly 20U.

Sorry about the dodgy image poor light on an iPad. But you get the idea..
View attachment 27031

Thank you. Didn’t know that.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I inject a lot of basal and bolus 230u basal nightly in one go
Same with any bolus injections

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I've been T1 for 48 years and never knew about the 10 seconds thing. :). You learn something every day. Thanks guys.
And as regards 17 units, I've injected 30 unit sof basal without issue (though I'm on 18 now), the most important thing is to NEVER ACCIDENTALLY INJECT BOLUS INSTEAD OF BASAL! :) (The resulting hypo is not pretty.)

Reactions: therower

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject a lot of basal and bolus 230u basal nightly in one go
Same with any bolus injections

230? Wow I don’t think I have much more than 250 in one pen cartridge. That must cause a few problems like insulin blisters?