Blood Pressure Taken A Bit Of A Leap

victry77

Hi, went for a check up with my practice nurse today as my annual review has been delayed by 5 months. I was quite surprised when she did my BP and said that it was reasonable but she would have liked it to be a touch lower.

MY BP has always been in the low/mid end of the normal range. My previous BP readings have been;
2015 - 119/71
2016 - 98/63
2017 - 120/68

I also had it routinely done last October as I had repeat my urine taet as my ACR was slightly elevated, and while I don't know the reading, the nurse just said it was fine.

Today it was 122/84 - I know it's not massively high but it now falls into the pre-high blood pressure range. The bottom number has taken a big leap.

Has this ever happened to anybody else? Is it something I should be concerned about and get repeated?

Thanks.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@victry77 . Definitely don't fret over it. You could go back tomorrow and get a totally different result.
If you really want to gain a better picture of your BP then why not invest in a good quality arm cuff BP monitor from any reputable outlet.
They are not overly expensive and give you the opportunity to test whenever, giving a much bigger picture of your BP.
Just remember not to invest in a wrist BP machine, apparently they are very inaccurate.

Reactions: victry77 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, went for a check up with my practice nurse today as my annual review has been delayed by 5 months. I was quite surprised when she did my BP and said that it was reasonable but she would have liked it to be a touch lower.

MY BP has always been in the low/mid end of the normal range. My previous BP readings have been;
2015 - 119/71
2016 - 98/63
2017 - 120/68

I also had it routinely done last October as I had repeat my urine taet as my ACR was slightly elevated, and while I don't know the reading, the nurse just said it was fine.

Today it was 122/84 - I know it's not massively high but it now falls into the pre-high blood pressure range. The bottom number has taken a big leap.

Has this ever happened to anybody else? Is it something I should be concerned about and get repeated?

Thanks.
Like @therower said and take readings when you're relaxed.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Considering you did not do this on first waking it isn't too bad, but of course a little raised to your previous. BP is variable some an hour before your diastolic may have been lower, and it depends on what you have been doing. The first measurement was not too long after a heavy weights session at night, the next I hadn't had a great night sleep, the next (today) is my measured best ever, after a good sleep:

upload_2018-6-12_19-58-47.png

Reactions: victry77