Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm surprised nobody else has been watching this. The results were fantastic but like you've said, there is no way I am guzzling some vile processed muck. I could do 800 cals, no problem, but I couldn't spend 8 weeks of my life having that bilge! I wonder why Roy Taylor etc advocate shakes?

We have been commenting on it on another thread.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Because they do it in research programme so have to ensure consistensy in order to have valid results. In the context of the ND research that means all subjects eat the same food to ensure exactly the same nutritional content. The researchers are clear that in the real world it mattes less what foods people choose to eat to make up the 800cals

I, for one, would not choose 800 calories of slime.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How amazing would it be if we could make our own TV show, explaining the benefits of low carb, demonstrate our tasty food and show off our lower BG and weight loss numbers. Admittedly it might take a bit longer than 4 weeks but I and many of us here have achieved amazing results relatively quickly.
Real food, real results, better health and well being and no cost to the NHS, many of us funding our diets and without needing meds, buying our own meters and test strips.

And it is sustainable. No refeeding probs.

Reactions: flexi06

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
been at this 12 months and this program totally lost me but so have the doctorts don,t eat this don,t do this etc stopped smokeing went down two waist sizes and guess what my readings still above 8 and now im cost the nhs millons wished i had not botherd watching . sick off all of it pin pricks in your fingers as a sparkey does,t help not really a lot off help anywhere

That program was a joke funded by the food and pharmaceutical industry. If you click on forums tab at top then 'Newly Diagnosed' there are some useful pinned threads and I know people in here are only too happy to try to help! Lower your carb intake and your blood sugars will lower too.

dipsydo

Just watching on catchup and not doing much for my blood pressure . I know that there will be a second programme so hope it will be better than this one .

One of the first points I noted was that some of these people had been diagnosed for a couple of years but still had high blood sugar so had they stopped their meds or were they not taking them or had stopped them for the programme ?

Maybe the next programme will tell them how to transition onto a life time diet ( any bets that it will be the eat well plate? ). One cannot live on those shakes for ever!

Another thing which was odd was that the half an hour in the pancreas was not mentioned and neither was insulin resistance it was all about the fatty liver which is of course is part of the problem but not the whole problem . No mention of exercise .

When the people felt they wanted to give up because they were starving and cold they were shown a dead body which really a bit of excessive nonsense.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a world of difference between educating people and encouraging them to make the right choices based on our latest understanding of human biology, and guilt-tripping people who haven't got the message.

They didn't even tell them what the message is they haven't got. It would be funny if it wasn't a sad reality of the world we live in. Very different to The Truth About Carbs on BBC1 last week.. that was truly informative.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just watching on catchup and not doing much for my blood pressure . I know that there will be a second programme so hope it will be better than this one .

One of the first points I noted was that some of these people had been diagnosed for a couple of years but still had high blood sugar so had they stopped their meds or were they not taking them or had stopped them for the programme ?

Maybe the next programme will tell them how to transition onto a life time diet ( any bets that it will be the eat well plate? ). One cannot live on those shakes for ever!

Another thing which was odd was that the half an hour in the pancreas was not mentioned and neither was insulin resistance it was all about the fatty liver which is of course is part of the problem but not the whole problem . No mention of exercise .

When the people felt they wanted to give up because they were starving and cold they were shown a dead body which really a bit of excessive nonsense.

Couldn't agree more. If you understand the basics then you are more likely to know why eating that pork pie perhaps isn't the best decision to make.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I love a good autopsy, but was quite disappointed they were in a separate room watching on a screen. I was hoping for fainting and vomiting :p

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I love a good autopsy, but was quite disappointed they were in a separate room watching on a screen. I was hoping for fainting and vomiting :p

As I said on the other thread, the autopsy was a stick too far.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I thought it might go that way as well. Will this do for a quick fix?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the first points I noted was that some of these people had been diagnosed for a couple of years but still had high blood sugar

Presumably eating what they have been told to eat - lots of starchy carbs. AKA the Eatwell Plate, like a jacket potato with all its 19 cubes of sugar..

When will the powers that be cotton on to the fact it is the nutrition guidance that is costing the NHS a lot of money in medicating T2s, and watching them progress to serious complications costing even more money. Changing the dietary advice is all that is needed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Presumably eating what they have been told to eat - lots of starchy carbs. AKA the Eatwell Plate, like a jacket potato with all its 19 cubes of sugar..

When will the powers that be cotton on to the fact it is the nutrition guidance that is costing the NHS a lot of money in medicating T2s, and watching them progress to serious complications costing even more money. Changing the dietary advice is all that is needed.

Yup. Not to sound smug but if we laypeople can teach each other a method that works for the majority of people how much quicker and easier would it be for HCPs to do the same?

Reactions: AloeSvea

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In addition to the change in dietary advice I'd say there is also the need to tackle the big food companies.

I know we often mention how cynical they are, but it wasn't until I read a big article I posted here recently that I began to realise how positively evil some of their practices are. Literally spending tens of millions of dollars a year running big facilities, employing hundreds of scientists to come up with appallingly unhealthy food-like substances with maximum addictive properties.

Reactions: Prem51

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The packaging of the shakes looked like the Exante ones - they are around 18-22g cabs each depending on the flavour
Just had a look at the Exante shakes and they do a coconut flavour one, and someone on the show was saying that it did not taste like a bounty - so probably was Exante.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was surprised that I didn't see any sweetcorn or carrot in it... if you get my meaning.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was disapointed about the autopsy - but I do have autopsy dvds instead.

bpc7694

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Taking Medication
Watched Wednesday's episode did not get much that was new. I would be interested to know what the shakes were or how to make healthy ones.

I think I got more out of last weeks BBC's The Truth about Carbs which showed me how I could make real food changes and get benefits.

Yes it is lovely to see results and I get that you need to monitored, but you also need to given appropriate information. I have tried to stay off medication, even though the GP says I should have them with little explanation. Staff are not as well trained as they should be, so as well as trying to get people to make changes which is the most important, there also needs to be staff who know what they are talking about and are willing to explain the results fully. Whenever I have asked I am only told their too high or borderline. What does that mean and how do I make changes?" I will ask, to be told medication is the only way, obviously not, hence my thought that staff also require better training.

Let us see what tonight brings!