Basic Information For New Members

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hahaha. Can you imagine getting a letter from them all these years later: “we regret to inform you...”

I would be up there in a hairs breath, like a little Tasmanian devil, so look out North East.........

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Got to hit the sack now........... goodnight

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I fully appreciate your sentiments @mountaintom on the advice given to type 1's. I personally don't believe the current information should be revised and this is based on my experience.

Type 1 is a complex condition and when I was first diagnosed I suffered a major information overload on learning about the role of insulin and the role of carbs which preoccupied my mind greatly, it was around 3-6 months after diagnosis that I then developed my knowledge further to understanding how to adjust ratios and insulin doses to suit my daily needs. Newly diagnosed type 1's are here for support and to know they are not alone, as a forum we cannot advise on insulin doses, types or ratios, this is medical advice which needs to come from their nurse or consultant, I personally advise any newbie wishing to develop their knowledge further to read 'think like a pancreas' as what they need to know is all contained within this book and it's a great way for all to know more and to be empowered and confident in taking ownership of their condition, otherwise they need to follow their DSN's advice and keep a close dialogue with them. Also remember that newbies have the added bonus of a honeymoon hence why it's even more important they maintain a dialogue with their DSN. The current advice isn't a medical support sheet it's a simple, easily digestible source designed as a welcome sheet. Each type 1 will have their own unique requirements and there is no one size fits all.

Personally I find it sad to read threads when members comment on distinguishing types, we all suffer as a result of managing a blood glucose disorder and in this was we are connected, but part of being a type 1 to me is having compassion towards others regardless of their condition or type. Having type 1 made me incredibly selfish and angry in the early days, I decided I need to work on this so I help others knowing that we all struggle on our journeys and we all need support. Also knowing that until you have walked in someone else's shoes will you ever truly realise the struggles they face.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I fully appreciate your sentiments @mountaintom on the advice given to type 1's. I personally don't believe the current information should be revised and this is based on my experience.

Type 1 is a complex condition and when I was first diagnosed I suffered a major information overload on learning about the role of insulin and the role of carbs which preoccupied my mind greatly, it was around 3-6 months after diagnosis that I then developed my knowledge further to understanding how to adjust ratios and insulin doses to suit my daily needs. Newly diagnosed type 1's are here for support and to know they are not alone, as a forum we cannot advise on insulin doses, types or ratios, this is medical advice which needs to come from their nurse or consultant, I personally advise any newbie wishing to develop their knowledge further to read 'think like a pancreas' as what they need to know is all contained within this book and it's a great way for all to know more and to be empowered and confident in taking ownership of their condition, otherwise they need to follow their DSN's advice and keep a close dialogue with them. Also remember that newbies have the added bonus of a honeymoon hence why it's even more important they maintain a dialogue with their DSN. The current advice isn't a medical support sheet it's a simple, easily digestible source designed as a welcome sheet. Each type 1 will have their own unique requirements and there is no one size fits all.

Personally I find it sad to read threads when members comment on distinguishing types, we all suffer as a result of managing a blood glucose disorder and in this was we are connected, but part of being a type 1 to me is having compassion towards others regardless of their condition or type. Having type 1 made me incredibly selfish and angry in the early days, I decided I need to work on this so I help others knowing that we all struggle on our journeys and we all need support. Also knowing that until you have walked in someone else's shoes will you ever truly realise the struggles they face.
I think this is an excellent perspective on medical conditions in general, too. Great post, thank you @Juicyj. And I will find a copy of "Think like a pancreas" and have a read.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Plenty of people DO advise on insulin doses here. Sometimes dangerously. That was kind of my point.
That newly diagnosed t1’s are getting the wrong advice here. And too much of it. Being recommended a low carb diet in your first week of diagnosis is not a good idea. The only advice given to newly diagnosed t1’s on here should be “follow your DSN’s advice”. Hugs and support is all very well and fantastic - that side of the forum is brilliant - but people should not be advising newly diagnosed t1’s what to eat and how to take their medication.

Reactions: porl69 and EllieM

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Plenty of people DO advise on insulin doses here. Sometimes dangerously. That was kind of my point.
That newly diagnosed t1’s are getting the wrong advice here. And too much of it. Being recommended a low carb diet in your first week of diagnosis is not a good idea. The only advice given to newly diagnosed t1’s on here should be “follow your DSN’s advice”. Hugs and support is all very well and fantastic - that side of the forum is brilliant - but people should not be advising newly diagnosed t1’s what to eat and how to take their medication.
Is it possible that others have needs that are different to your own?

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s about dinner time I’m guessing. That means you’ll be in bed soon. I’ll come back later.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The only advice given to newly diagnosed t1’s on here should be “follow your DSN’s advice”.

Well that seems reasonable @mountaintom. Feel free to post that to all newbies.

I think T1 is too complex to be addressed separately in a welcome post. At the start t1 newbies get lots of appointments, while other types are often left alone for months. T1 advice needs depend on honeymoon, lifestyle, mental state, insulin regime, family circumstances, weather.... there is no one size fits all.

Test, treat, repeat works for me.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that seems reasonable @mountaintom. Feel free to post that to all newbies.

I think T1 is too complex to be addressed separately in a welcome post. At the start t1 newbies get lots of appointments, while other types are often left alone for months. T1 advice needs depend on honeymoon, lifestyle, mental state, insulin regime, family circumstances, weather.... there is no one size fits all.

Test, treat, repeat works for me.

You’re right. It’s very complicated.
Do you think, because the conditions are so different and that T1 is so complex that someone with t2 should be giving advice to someone with T1?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Tom - please report these posts as this type of advice is wrong and the moderation team need to be made aware of it so as to take action.

Reactions: mountaintom

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tom - please report these posts as this type of advice is wrong and the moderation team need to be made aware of it so as to take action.

Ok thanks. Let’s end this thread now I’ve caused enough upset.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The daisy1 info sheet was devised by 2 T'2s I believe, and then amended with input from other T2s. This is simply a forum where people can help each other. If there isn't much info on helping T1s then I wonder why T1s in the past haven't done this for other T1s? It's not the site's fault that no-one has done it. There must be a reason no T1 has thought to do this before. I agree with @Diakat T1 is too complex to be addressed in a single info pack. I feel it's better for T1s to start their own thread to ask their own questions, or mention the problems they are having on the new T1 chat thread.

You’re right. It’s very complicated.
Do you think, because the conditions are so different and that T1 is so complex that someone with t2 should be giving advice to someone with T1?
Oh for goodness sake! It was a T2 who suggested that T1s have their own chat thread. Was that wrong too? If you think that something should be done then do it. I used to welcome T1 newbies because often there were no T1s around to do it.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Created by t2’s for t2’s but caters for T1’s very nicely and of course not forgetting the other types.