Mmmmmm............ now were talking! :lol:

Nigel

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
And as for "up north" - here in the Yorkshire Dales we have fish and chip shops which sell - gasp - fish and chips and nothing else! :shock:

And utterly delicious they are too!

My next survey project, in the interest of diabetics everywhere, is going to be a fish and chip lunch and test my bg levels.

I am prepared to sacrifice myself in this cause, you understand, purely for scientific reasons and not for any motivation by greed, hedonism or any other selfish interests. :wink:

Any excuse! :lol:

Viv :)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
And as for "up north" - here in the Yorkshire Dales

"Yorkshire Dales " Thats only half way up ,
ITVs Emmerdale would never let you have ---Mars bar in batter

Up here on the borders ,still running around wielding axes :D

Yes please test and give us a blow by blow account of any BG rise ,the chips be your downfall

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
'Emmerdale' is south!

The fish & chips will probably be in a couple of weeks' time - but I'll let you know how I go on. :D

Viv :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sure Lancashire fish and chips are the best :D
I had fish (they are huge at this particular chippy) took most of the batter off and fed it to the seagulls then I blew all the good intentions by eating half of my husbands chips :twisted: Any way I didnt bother to test cause I knew I had blown it so I will be interested in your experiment Viv
CAROL

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lovinglife said:
I can't think of anything more disgusting - apart from the cake pie that I saw on hairy bikers last night! a chocolate cake in a pie! eughhh

Have to say though in defense of us northerners I live about as north as you can get in England and have never seen deep fried mars bars on offer in chip shops - have seen in a chippie in the lakes though - chips with about 1/2lb of grated cheese on top then slathered in mayonnaise - I suspect as its a tourist area its one brought in by visiting southerners :wink: :wink:

Have you ever heard of poutine? A French Canadian "delicacy" - chips, gravy and cheese curds. Sounds disgusting but actually it's very tasty :oops:

primmers

Our local chippy sells all sorts of sweeties battered and deep fried, from individual Opal Fruits (or whatever they're calling them now) to Lion Bars and Creme Eggs. If they don't stock the sweetie themselves and you take it in they'll batter and fry it for you. I've also seen battered and deep fried pizzas, though that was through in Weegie-land. Prior to diagnosis, and in the interests of scientific research, I once had a bite of a deep fried Mars Bar. It was every bit as disgusting as you'd imagine.

Been veggie for the best part of thirty years and can no longer remember what chip shop fish tastes like. My fave chippie fare was Cheese and Onion Fry-Its, particularly on a buttered breadcake with lots of vinegar. I think that would be the best part of a day's carbs now :lol:

As for the business idea why not do some market research amongst the other punters next time you're there? Asking them or passing out flyers for a computer survey or even asking on a petrol head message board? Years ago I went to a political festival in Paris, the food was fabulous, definitely made the whole event better in my eyes. I tend to agree about widening your target audience, you'll do better with a wider selection of fresh food of which some was low carb than all low carb. The labelling would seem to me to be the key thing.

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
carty said:
When I went to a farmers market on York there was a stall selling and cooking home made lamb burgers .They were using top quality meat and you could smell the difference between them and the usual "greasy burgers! " .They were doing a great trade so I definately think there would be a market for good quality cooked meat maybe a roast pork or beef that could be served with either salad or bread .the price would probably have to reflect the quality but I think that you would build up a good reputation which may take a little time but "word of mouth " can work wonders.Frying some onions and mushrooms would help with the aroma attraction :D I think it is a great idea go for it!
CAROL

We run a cake stall for a charity at the local Farmers' Market and have recently introduced some low sugar products in an attempt to cater for diabetics. So far, take-up has been encouraging, but it remains to be seen if it will be worthwhile.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
jassi said:
We run a cake stall for a charity at the local Farmers' Market and have recently introduced some low sugar products in an attempt to cater for diabetics. So far, take-up has been encouraging, but it remains to be seen if it will be worthwhile.

Hi.
Where I live there is a person who visits and sells 'Diabetic Friendly' Cakes....Low sugar supposedley. I had a look at these although I never usually touch them.

Result was these 'low sugar' cakes were full of carbs average about 80g per 100g and the cakes were about 400g. A Couple of slices would put most Diabetic's unless on Insulin in double figures quick time !! So please forgive me if I sound a bit sceptical.........

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
cugila said:
jassi said:

Hi.
Where I live there is a person who visits and sells 'Diabetic Friendly' Cakes....Low sugar supposedley. I had a look at these although I never usually touch them.

Result was these 'low sugar' cakes were full of carbs average about 80g per 100g and the cakes were about 400g. A Couple of slices would put most Diabetic's unless on Insulin in double figures quick time !! So please forgive me if I sound a bit sceptical.........

True enough, all cakes are going to be high in carbohydrates, you do have to watch what is put in them, eg wholemeal flour can be substituted for white,and even oats can be mixed in, which lowers the GI a bit. I personally test these products :mrgreen: to test the effect.
The result is a product which is more suitable for the diabetic than the original, though I prefer to steer clear of them altogether (apart from the tasting, that is).

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree that you can lower the GI with the ingredients.......it's just most of the Diabetic's who were buying them thought they could eat the Cake with little or no effect. They thought this because they are in my view misleadingly labelled 'Diabetic Friendly'. Most are nothing of the sort.

I tried a couple of slices myself one day, Ginger Cake.......within 2 hrs my Bg had soared to over 9 mmol/l and went even higher after around 3 hrs, more than 12 mmol/l. Way too high !

You might have tested them on yourself but everybody is individual, especially in response to lots of carbs, whether wholemeal or oat based, matters not to those who may be on diet only or Oral Meds. The GI is not the only thing to consider, portion size as with GL is also important. I was able to manage a half slice of the Cake but even that pushed my Bg up to 7.5 mmol/l. Outside my target levels.

So thanks......but no thanks....... :(