Doctor Whats My Hba1c?

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well tried to make an appointment to see my Dr today but he was booked out.

Anyway i said to the receptionist i wanted to know what my HbA1c is??

Everyone else on this forum knows theres i said to her and she passed the message onto the doctor

I received an email saying my HbA1c is 9.2

Its not good is it ,please dont hide it from me ,its not a great result is it

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve seen much worse on this forum! If you have a good read around and adjust your diet you should see a major change in a few months but you really must see your doctor soon to get a plan

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is in the red zone but the good news is there is a lot you can do about it in a relatively short space of time. My HbA1c was much higher than yours at diagnosis but I managed to lower it quickly and I think you are already working hard on doing the same thing.
Try not to freak out, you are not about to explode.

Reactions: Prem51 and dunelm
D

Deleted Account

This website has an amazing library of reference material as well as the forum.
For example, if you want to know about hB1AC, this page tells you what it is, what the target is, how to convert the different units and more: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
It was easy to find: I just typed "hb1ac" into the Search box at the top of the page and it was the first result.

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks helen.

Sorry for another silly question but how long should i wait to get another HbA1c?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks helen.

Sorry for another silly question but how long should i wait to get another HbA1c?
HbA1c are done either 3 monthly, 6 monthly or annually. This is because the average lifespan of a red blood cell is roughly 10-12 weeks. There's a big difference to be made in those 3 months and I am sure you can do it!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ireceived an email saying my HbA1c is 9.2

If that is 9.2% then according to the diagram at https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html it looks High -is this right?

As you are using a meter, you might think about an app called mySugr - if you enter 3 readings, min, each day, then it will give some indication of your HbA1c (just an indication mind). You can find it here and I just use the free version https://mysugr.com/apps/

Edit: I get my latest HbA1c results tomorrow and will see how the mySugr app compares.

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In Hba1c terms 9.2mmol/l is not possible, so its likely to be 9.2% which is on the high side
9.2 mmol on a random fingerpick test of blood glucose would also be higher than you want

Reactions: dunelm

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
9.2% is pretty close to mine when first diagnosed. Yes, it's high but far from the worst. don't let it worry you too much. As long as you follow the low carb path it will gradually come down. Mine dropped to 7.5% after 3 months. Then 6.5, 6.1 and now is a consistent 5.7%. Oh, and lose weight too. That has just as big an impact as the low carbs. I dropped from 106kg to 88kg over about 9 months. It helped a lot. And to boot, my knee no longer hurts. Carrying all that extra weight around didn't help. There was me all those years thinking that I got a sore knee from praying and begging Mrs Croc for forgiveness.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In Hba1c terms 9.2mmol/l is not possible, so its likely to be 9.2% which is on the high side
9.2 mmol on a random fingerpick test of blood glucose would also be higher than you want
Ah! Thanks, completely read the chart incorrectly :eek: - previous post corrected

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Everyone else on this forum knows theres i said to her and she passed the message onto the doctor

Don't worry too much, you can soon bring that down with weightloss and amazing changes to your diet using your blood glucose meter to guide you.

I was diagnosed on 27th April this year 7 weeks ago, and since then have been doing the Low Carb High Fat diet, and have been experimenting with intermittent fasting to lower my blood sugar further after getting good results with that and easting 2 meals a day. For the last 10 days I have been only eating when my blood sugar was in a target range that I made progressively lower, and according to the mySugr app estimated HbA1c have lowered it considerably:

Start HbA1c 27th April:
82 - converts to 9.65%
Start of intermittent fasting eating to meter:
estimated HbA1c mySugr:
41.9 - converts to 6.0%
Today after 10 days of intermittent fasting and eating one meal a day:
estimated HbA1c mySugr:
39.4 - converts to 5.8%

I had higher results than you at the start, but as you can see it is possible to make a big reduction if you use your blood sugar meter to test your reactions to different foods, and make changes to your diet. I have also used exercise, but there are lots of people who do not use exercise as part of their lifestyle who still get good results too. I am due another HbA1c at the beginning of August this year, so it will be very interesting to see where I am then.

I am doing daily updates of my progress with stats if you are interested in what I am eating and the effects. I will stress that everyone seems to react differently to different foods, so it is very much of seeing what works for you and devising your own way of eating that helps you control your blood sugar and bring it down.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2-fasting-experiment-to-lower-bg.149942/

I will also say that with paying close attention to my diet and regular testing I have lost 35lb so far (I have a lot to lose) and feel like a much younger and far fitter version of the person I was 7 weeks ago. I am still shocked at how ill I felt before diagnosis with uncontrolled blood sugars.

You will get lots of support on here, and many people have been exactly where you are or even worse and made huge improvements to their blood sugar control. You can do it, and you seem to have a great attitude so far of wanting to change and get healthier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Thanks helen.

The link I posted above has a section "When should Hb1AC levels be tested?"

I strongly recommend having a search around this site - there are things here you wouldn't even think about asking on the forum but are amazingly useful.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.

It's about the same level of my last A1c, which I'm sure will be lower next time I have it done. I would still recommend making an appointment to see your doctor because there are probably things you need to discuss, including reviewing your medication dosages.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fairly certain that my Hba1c was higher than that at diagnosis and I was back in the normal range in 6 months, and didn't even have to try all that hard, to be honest - when I had gone down to below the diabetes range at 80 days I was just a trifle smug.
I have to count myself lucky to get such good results, but I am sure I am not the only one so fortunate.
Just lay off the dense carby foods and learn to love salads.