Blood Glucose Swings

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
It's 6pm here and I'm resting after a challenging day, nothing major just BG swings that were greater than I would like. I'm eating everything right, I don't think I have an infection, but I think not enough sleep for a couple of nights, a flare-up in acute and chronic pain levels, and a bit of stress affected my BGs.

My system is so sensitive, but I'm not worried because I don't know yet if this is just a settling down period or will be ongoing. I had a terrific day on Sunday with BGs between the low 6s and high 7s all day. That felt great! Today I was mid 5s to mid 9s, including swinging from one end to the other in just one hour, which was unplanned and unexpected. I feel very drained now.

So am I going to take it easy for the evening. Anyone else have days like this? If you do, I can empathise.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday's swing was from in the 4s to just under 12. Some days are like that, some are worse. Other days can be perfect.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yesterday's swing was from in the 4s to just under 12. Some days are like that, some are worse. Other days can be perfect.
Yikes, that must be rough. Are you able to work out what might be some causes, or is it random? Last week I had some 7 point swings. It wasn't until the last week that I realized what stable BGs felt like. It gives me hope.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday? Into meeting at just under 6, out in 4s. Back to desk, stressful situation - shoot up to 11s. Correct. Get home in the 9s. Dinner, go to bed on 8.2.
The days waking up in the teens are harder to cope with I find (and pretty infrequent).

Reactions: ziggy_w

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Anyone else have days like this?

Just a minor hiccup today. No food for 12 hours.
2018_06_13-1[1].jpg

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well it's the next day and while I feel better in many ways, right now I have dizziness almost to the point of feeling as if the room is spinning. My BGs have been perfectly stable and just now it was 6.1, so I don't think they are the cause. I will keep it above 6.0 just to be on the safe side.

I'm not concerned unless I get other symptoms and I see no point in bothering the DN or GP unless that happens. I've had this before and it turned out to be a viral infection of the inner ear, which comes right by itself. "Just one of those things."

Just remembered, I did have the flu shot yesterday, so you never know. Side effects from that always come right by themselves, too. In my experience.

It's a good thing I don't need to drive anywhere today. I wouldn't do it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Have to admit yesterday was something of a roller coaster day for me also being @12.1 at one point and in the mid fives not long after.
So far to day has been better and hope it stays that way for myself and any one else who had a bit of a bad day yesterday:)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Once you have your blood glucose levels at or near in normal levels, you feel the smaller swings or fluctuations more.
Your level of awareness is more acute.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Once you have your blood glucose levels at or near in normal levels, you feel the smaller swings or fluctuations more.
Your level of awareness is more acute.
Oh, great. LOL.

Well, I would rather have stable levels most of the time than be like I was a few weeks ago.