Does Anybody Do Low Carb And Not Eat Veggies

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was reading through the forum and came across a brief mention that some people do not eat any veggies at all. I thought I might give it a try t try and lower BG. Does anyone do this? How do you cope without the vitamins, minerals and fibre? Love to hear from anyone doing low carb like this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@NoCrbs4Me @Brunneria are two I can think of.

I don't eat many, but do eat some. I eat mushrooms and peas. I have other veggies once a week with my roast dinner (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) and I do eat a few potatoes. I do not eat leafy green veggies or salad leaves. There are plenty of essential nutrients in dairy, eggs, animal and fish products. I also don't eat fruit other than tomatoes (daily) and very few berries on odd occasions. I do eat seeds, in particular ready ground flaxseed. As far as I know I have no deficiencies.

Hotpepper20000

I eat few vegetables and find the more I eat the hungrier I get. So I’ll have a great salad a couple times a weeks or cauliflower. But I certainly eat a lot less then before going LCHF
But I eat less of most things except Greek yogurt with a few berries everyday.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat very few veggies on LCHF. If I do, it's usually spinach, broccoli, cucumber or lettuce in small portions. I take a multivitamin but I always have done and as far as I know I have no deficiencies.

You could always take a look at the What have you eaten today? thread in the LCHF section of the forum - that will give you an idea of the kinds of things people eat https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/

D

Deleted Account

I get the impression @bulkbiker does not eat many veggies. I think he has commented something about not needing them.
Please excuse me if I have that wrong ... I think my memory makes things up at times.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat quite a bit of salad vegetables, but my taste buds won't allow me to eat cooked vegetables. So I don't. My vegetable shopping list is small. I used to eat a lot of legumes, but not much since diagnosis.
Just as an example, I can eat raw carrots, raw spinach but boil them, not a chance!
I don't have the problems that you have quoted about vitamins and such, I believe my brain told me a long, long time ago to avoid them. And my body is a lot healthier for it!
But again, I enjoy, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes fried together on top of my gammon and egg, when i treat myself!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often feel guilty because I don't eat green veggies or salads. It isn't because of low carb, I have never eaten many, nor fruit, and I am still here, but I have always been a protein (meat and fish) and dairy eater, and thankfully it is the same with my husband.

Hotpepper20000

I eat quite a bit of salad vegetables, but my taste buds won't allow me to eat cooked vegetables. So I don't. My vegetable shopping list is small. I used to eat a lot of legumes, but not much since diagnosis.
Just as an example, I can eat raw carrots, raw spinach but boil them, not a chance!
I don't have the problems that you have quoted about vitamins and such, I believe my brain told me a long, long time ago to avoid them. And my body is a lot healthier for it!
But again, I enjoy, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes fried together on top of my gammon and egg, when i treat myself!
I’m the same way. There are very few vegetables i enjoy cooked. Even as a child My mom would give me a plate of raw veggies while every one else had them cooked.

Reactions: Lamont D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had very few veg since completing the may fast.. mainly sticking to meat and dairy.. few nuts maybe. Find it relatively easy and who doesn’t love eggs and bacon. Currently driving through France but managing to avoid most green stuff with foie gras and meat.. such a hardship!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I get the impression @bulkbiker does not eat many veggies. I think he has commented something about not needing them.
Please excuse me if I have that wrong ... I think my memory makes things up at times.

There are quite a few that can and do not eat vegetables. And I would be the same except for the example I have posted above. During fasts and just not bothering with salad in winter, it has never been a problem with my health or symptoms.
There are quite a few that avoid fruit as well.
So how do they get those important (we are led to believe) minerals and such?

People can have allergies and intolerance to certain sugars, like I have a lactose intolerance since a toddler. How do I get my calcium?
Fructose allergies are more common than you would believe.
If you mention not eating vegetables, and you are killing yourself quickly!!!!
Can't live on meat alone! (But you can!)
Can't do permanent Keto! (But you can!) You will get healthy, well I did!

Again, for those who don't understand why your body can be healthy avoiding foods you just don't like or an intolerance to, or an allergy. Your body adapts quite quickly relatively. What is good for you, individually is a balanced diet of protein, fats and a certain amount of carbs that your metabolism can cope with. How much depends on you! Eating too much of most foods, is bad for you, discovery of these foods is so important to anyone who has a condition that is controlled wholly or partially by diet.

Eat to your meter and avoid those sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and carrot and turnips! (Yuk!):***::stop::stop::stop:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’m the same way. There are very few vegetables i enjoy cooked. Even as a child My mom would give me a plate of raw veggies while every one else had them cooked.
And me, and then my mum would shake her head and tut!
Why can't you be normal? She would utter.

Don't do normal! (Never have and never will!)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think that is our second family motto.
The first being "Don't make a fuss"

My family (all of them and its quite a lot!) Love their roast dinners, All my life, I kept on getting the odd looks, even before my twenties, they would think it sacrilege because I only ate the meat, a couple of roasties, and processed peas.
No veg, no gravy and no Yorkshire pudding. And because of my lactose intolerance, no mash! Because it would mean someone cooking it separately!

Christmas dinner was the worst!
As a kid, a leg of turkey would suffice for chrimbo dinner.
But I loved Christmas pudding!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat the high carb foods, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta or sweet things, apart from that I eat everything. I don't know what a balanced diet is, so I go for as much variation as possible. My theory is: If it is good for you then I probably have some and if it turns out to be bad I didn't have too much. Unfortunately it didn't work with the carbs but it's the best theory I have.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was reading through the forum and came across a brief mention that some people do not eat any veggies at all. I thought I might give it a try t try and lower BG. Does anyone do this? How do you cope without the vitamins, minerals and fibre? Love to hear from anyone doing low carb like this.
It's not just no veggies, but no plant derived food at all, apart from spices. Fortunately meat, fish, eggs, dairy have all the vitamins and minerals a human needs, but some sun exposure is necessary for vitamin D. I don't believe fibre is necessary.

Reactions: Lamont D

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apparently the Inuit (those formerly known as Eskimos) eat no vegetables but do get vitamin c and the other vitamins by eating nose to tail (or seal equivalent). They do not have scurvy.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently the Inuit (those formerly known as Eskimos) eat no vegetables but do get vitamin c and the other vitamins by eating nose to tail (or seal equivalent). They do not have scurvy.
Unfortunately they suffer from heart desease and strokes and have an average life expectancy 10 years less than the rest of Canada.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately they suffer from heart desease and strokes and have an average life expectancy 10 years less than the rest of Canada.
Once they have abandoned their traditional way of eating for Macdonalds and Coke you mean...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Regular muscle meat is sufficient to ward off scurvy and provide all the necessary minerals and vitamins except maybe vitamin D which can be obtained by sun exposure or from seafood. No offal necessary.