Prediabetic, Maybe, Maybe Not

mk1953

Hi, I found this forum some time ago and I've been lurking around reading many of the threads with great interest. Firstly I would like to say what a wonderful resource this is for anyone with diabetes who wants to take control of their condition. Why did I search out this forum in the first place? Well.....it's a bit of a convoluted story. I'm not one who bothers with doctors much, in fact I've only been to see my GP maybe 4 times in the last 10 or so years, usually for fairly minor things, rash, conjunctivitis, the sort of things that would probably have fixed themselves in time. In fact you could say I don't really have relationship with "my" GP, I don't think I've seen the same one at the practice more than once. I wouldn't recognise any of them if I met them in the street, its as good / bad as that. Back in January 2014 I had a bit of a chest infection, nothing too bad, would probably have cleared up on its own, but I thought I'd speed things up and went to the doctors. I know many people on here have other medical issues apart from diabetes and have to visit their GP on a fairly regular basis. I know there are some on here who, like me are / were not "regulars" and may have had a similar experience. Before I got through the door, the Dr had already clocked from his computer that they hadn't seen me for 7 or 8 years....bang, straight on with the BP cuff "blood pressure is a bit high" "chest infection?" "better order a chest X-ray" "oh and I think blood tests would be in order, so I left with a prescription for antibiotics and a note for an X-ray and blood tests....and an appointment for the following week. Anyway, long story short, a week later X-ray came back ok, bloods showed prediabetic, appointment made to see the nurse the following week. The first words the nurse said "Oh you're diabetic". "I was told prediabectic" said I (at that point in time I didn't have an Hba1c number, nobody had told me what it was) Anyway, I was told to go back for another Hba1c in 3 months.......only I never went back.

What I did do though was cut out sugar in my tea, breakfast cereals and biscuits. Cut down on potatoes and bread, was never a big bread eater anyway. I never ate, pasta, pizza or rice anyway so it seemed to me that the things I stopped and cut down on were the things that were causing the prediabetes. That was 4 years ago, since then I've lost one and a half stones ( 21 pounds) and my weight has been steady at that for the last 2 years. I registered for online access to my medical records a couple of years ago (just out of curiosity) and it turns out my HbA1c was 44, so maybe I am prediabetic, maybe not.

I know most people on here take their diabetes and their management of it very seriously so I hope my slack handling of my situation doesn't rub anyone up the wrong way. Hopefully I've managed to sort my situation out, I'll find out at some point.

Reactions: cmor16

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Well, yes, your HbA1c of 44 is in the pre-diabetic range. As you have changed your diet and lost some weight this may well not be the case anymore, but you need to know. Diabetes is absolutely not something to mess about with.

Please go and see the GP and ask for more blood tests. You really do need to know your current situation.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @mk1953. In my own personal life 100% of the folks I know diagnosed with prediabetes, like you were, got into normal blood glucose levels by making some even minor adjustments to their lifestyle. (Food! As in sugar and carb lowering. And to some degree - exercise.) So there is a very good chance your lifestyle adjustments got you into the normal range too.

But! You don't know. Because you haven't had a follow-up HBA1c - in four years? Goodness!

Absolutely not rubbing me up the wrong way - this is your body and your life (and yeah - your relationship or nae with your medical centre). Totally up to you how you deal with it.

But! The Big Important Point is, here, once having had an HBA1c of 44, your chances of exceeding your personal carb tolerance, or fat on the belly limit, again, are proven. (This is how I see it regarding myself.) Ditto the tendency to insulin resistance, which is the mechanism underneath it all which can cause all sorts of health issues, most importantly - cardio vascular issues. Much better to know you are in the safe blood glucose zone than not? Wouldn't it? And your blood lipids are pointing you in the right healthy heart direction?

Which, yeah, means fairly regular check ups at your doc's. :). As in at least once a year. Just like a WOF for your car! If you were my friend or family member in real life this is what I would say to you. Hence me saying it to you here. (And I would be very honoured you asked me the question! Good on you for that.)

mk1953

Hello and welcome,

Well, yes, your HbA1c of 44 is in the pre-diabetic range. As you have changed your diet and lost some weight this may well not be the case anymore, but you need to know. Diabetes is absolutely not something to mess about with.

Please go and see the GP and ask for more blood tests. You really do need to know your current situation.
Thanks for your reply and your concern. You're right of course, I need to find out what the situation is, will sort out an appointment and report back.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

mk1953

Hi @mk1953. In my own personal life 100% of the folks I know diagnosed with prediabetes, like you were, got into normal blood glucose levels by making some even minor adjustments to their lifestyle. (Food! As in sugar and carb lowering. And to some degree - exercise.) So there is a very good chance your lifestyle adjustments got you into the normal range too.

But! You don't know. Because you haven't had a follow-up HBA1c - in four years? Goodness!

Absolutely not rubbing me up the wrong way - this is your body and your life (and yeah - your relationship or nae with your medical centre). Totally up to you how you deal with it.

But! The Big Important Point is, here, once having had an HBA1c of 44, your chances of exceeding your personal carb tolerance, or fat on the belly limit, again, are proven. (This is how I see it regarding myself.) Ditto the tendency to insulin resistance, which is the mechanism underneath it all which can cause all sorts of health issues, most importantly - cardio vascular issues. Much better to know you are in the safe blood glucose zone than not? Wouldn't it? And your blood lipids are pointing you in the right healthy heart direction?

Which, yeah, means fairly regular check ups at your doc's. :). As in at least once a year. Just like a WOF for your car! If you were my friend or family member in real life this is what I would say to you. Hence me saying it to you here. (And I would be very honoured you asked me the question! Good on you for that.)
Thanks for your reply and concern will sort out an appointment and report back.