disaster diverted

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya

so after just over a month on the pump i decided to go on a night out for my birthday leaving dylan with his dad, i only drank coke as im not a big drinker and its a school night :D, so anyway i return home about quarter to 12 and went and tested dylan b4 getting into bed which i always do as i dont sleep properly if i dont know where he is, i nearly fell off the edge of his bed when a reading of 25.6 so i look back and his dad had tested him half hour b4 that and he had been 21.5.

i had done a site change earlier in the evening b4 tea and tested 2 hrs after tea to see he was 11.3 before going out which isnt unusual for dylan so anyway i tested for ketones on his xceed and he had 0.4 so i bolus 3u of insulin and sit by his bed for half an hour his reading came down 22.6 but the ketones had risen to 0.6, so i lied beside him for half an hour and retested he then had a reading of 16.4 and ketones went to 0.5 so i was happy in the knowledge he was on his way down on both.

woke up this morning and his reading was 6.4 with 0.1 ketones so worry over but should i change the set or is it working properly now?? first problem we have encountered and altho im happy i dealt with it and am shattered this morning im unsure if i should change with such a good reading this morning im wondering if there was a bubble and with the 3u it got forced through any ideas???

anna marie

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi

Glad to see things are ok now. I've been on my pump for 9 months now and in the training was taught to do set changes in the morning so that if there is a problem it is sorted out early on, also might consider doing a correction with a pen when this high incase there is a problem with the pump. Those darned bubbles can be a nightmare, try heating the insulin to body temp before drawing into the catridge, hope this helps.

Avi

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If his reading has come down this morning then he'll probably be okay. But I would ask that he does another test mid-morning or by the very latest lunch time so that you can make sure that good reading is holding.

Happy birthday, I hope you had an enjoyable evening out (up until the high reading!). :D

We had the opposite problem yesterday. Jess was a little low at lunchtime 3.8 mmol/L, we treated the hypo and then she went on to have lunch. After school we had to visit the shoe shop so headed into town. Just as I was parking Jess said she felt low so I tested her - 1.9 mmol/L! I don't think she's been that low before. I fed her 5 glucose sweets and tested ten mins later, still 1.9 mmol/L. I'd now run out of glucose sweets (we usually only have a mild hypo needing one sweet). She had part of a spare roll in her coat pocket so I used those last ones, thankfully she had a spare set in her coat! She also had a chocolate bar which was in the car. After 1 h 45mins she finally had a reading of 8.8 mmol/L. I looked back on the pump history and everything was as it should be, no accidental boluses, the basal hadn't been changed. I really don't know what happened yesterday. She ate all her lunch. The only thing they did out of the usual was have a quick run outside on the field at school in the afternoon but nothing too energetic. They also had a disability workshop which might have made Jess feel emotional/sympathy about the person who was talking to them. I wonder if that might have had an impact on her BG.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks for the replies.

Avi we dont do the set changes in the morning because he goes to school so we dont want a problem there our DSN said to do it b4 tea so u have hours b4 bed to check which i always do but my other half didnt think as we got so used to dylan being so high he just went to bed and was sound asleep and oblivious to what had happened im just glad i always check things b4 i go to bed.

i will be checking him about 12 as i work in school over the lunch period so was hoping that would be the advice if he was high this morning i was prepared to do an emergency set change but with the 6.4 reading it threw me was shocked how quick the ketones went up last night from 0.4 to 0.6 in less than half an hour so can see how easily it can turn nasty with a pump if ur not vigilant, good job i am lol :D

now to train the other half :lol:

and i had a lovely evening to that point thanku sophia

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We follow the same advice regarding the time to change the set. There's just no time in the morning with the school rush but also it's better to spot a problem at home than at school. Before tea is the most practical time to change for us.

Hazza

Well done to both of you.
We once had a reading of 30.4 and my wife freaked out so we did a set change. That was when we were using the flexlink plus cannulas, we now use the rapid d link and have had no problems (touch wood). We also tested for ketones but got a 0.0 reading so I think her BG must have shot up very quickly and we caught it in time. We still get some readings in the low teens but they are getting fewer, we see the occassional low but so far she knows when she is low and can tell when she is 3.8 so pretty good awareness. We learn what affects her most and try to combat it.
It's such a worry and a steep learning curve, but we are glad we have the pump as you can correct so much easier.

Harry

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanku harry

yes the pump is great for correcting easily after the 3u he dropped quite quick i didnt panic just was so tired anyway being midnight im an early to bed kind of girl lol so to sit at his bedside for an hour and a half made me shattered but i would do anything for him so im not complaining.

glad u all do the set changes like me i dont want a disaster at school so i change his about 4 then there is 4 hours before bed to check on things.

dylan has been having readings in the low teens recently so we are adjusting things here and there to get back in the range hes always been difficult :lol: but the before bed is nearly always the best reading of the whole day.

its funny was thinking this morning on MDI a number like 25.6 would not have been a shock at all it would of been more the norm and we would of gone to bed without a second thought but yesterday that number floored me the highest reading we have had has been in the teens usually after a meal funny how u get used to things so quick isnt it

anna marie

becki

you dealt with it well tiredness makes you question yourself more!

Just wanted to say good luck training the other half!!! :lol:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Anna Marie

I have a combo pump, but if I go above 12 I will automatically do a banging reprime, before doing a set change. Then I will give a bolus.

I guess I may be totally OT with doing this, but having had the flexilink plus sets when extra bolu's didn't work, I will not tolerate anything above 12 without doing this.

My levels nowadays won't go above this of their own accord. I have had some fluke readings when I have done a second test on my old meter, and I have had some big differences, and this only occurs on odd occasions when I have a reading above 12. Eg my machine reads 11.9 and I have tested my on my old meter and it has shown as 7+, I think I have a problem with my remote control but I need to be able to prove it beyond doubts from Roche.

Bit of a worry though isn't it....I would also give my hands a wash/wipe again if my reading was 26
just s o that I had covered every single aspect before giving another extra bolus.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
yes its def a worry but i do feel i dealt with things ok i was shocked at the 26 and knew things werent right but when i saw ketones as well i just thought bolus and see if that works then waited an hour testing in between seemed to work ok and hes been fine today.

first panic we have had everything has run so smooth but its taught us to be vigilant and keep on top of things and not let anything go too far as it changes so fast. and my other half has def learnt a lesson so thats a plus lol

anna marie