Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I understand it, T1's have to count carbs to adjust their insulin injections for meals. If they're eating a large number of carbs, and they get their calculation/dose wrong, there's a bigger margin for error than if they were eating fewer and requiring much less insulin. Even small errors can have larger consequences if carb consumption is higher, so lower carbs would mean both less insulin and safer/more accurate doses. (Richard Bernstein's "Law of small numbers":
https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/diabetes-resources/definitions/dr-bernsteins-diabetes-solution/ )

@Mel dCP

Robbity
That's how I understood his method.

bassamaklan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is just a push back against the low carb publicity that has appeared lately.

In one way he is right - lots of people can lose weight eating carbs, or high carb low fat, or carbs with calorie restriction.
All sorts of different options available.

Some of us do better with lower carbs, and some of us do better with lower carbs and higher fat.

My personal view is that a heck of a lot of people who think they are 'fine' eating carbs are actually experiencing insulin resistance, and will go on to develop preD and type 2. Their bodies can only cope with carb overload and insulin resistance for so long before they start to develop the signs of metabolic syndrome which can progress to T2.

Kraft tested 1000s of people over decades, using insulin clamping and glucose tolerance tests, and demonstrated a very clear connection between the development of insulin resistance and later development of heart disease and type 2. Which means that the insulin resistance comes first - before the blood glucose goes wacky, and before the heart attacks.

But the article quoted above is about weight loss. And yes, sure, most people can lose weight eating highish carbs.
Doesn't mean that it will be good for their longterm health though.
Totally agree with you. Diet selection and optimization differs between individuals. Insulin resistance is the main problem that a lot of people are facing. I believe is when, how and how much is very important when choosing diets.