T1 Low Carb What Should I Know

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve found myself at times eating less than 100g per day. Perhaps 50g or so for a number of days in a row. I might then have a few days where I have 150g a day. My numbers are obviously easier to manage with the low carb intake but I wanted to know if there are any other health issues that might arise from doing this. Ketosis and all that stuff. I know little about it. I am NOT going low carb it’s just that some days I kind of eat less and wondered if it was bad for me or if there’s anything I should look out for.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I’ve found myself at times eating less than 100g per day. Perhaps 50g or so for a number of days in a row. I might then have a few days where I have 150g a day. My numbers are obviously easier to manage with the low carb intake but I wanted to know if there are any other health issues that might arise from doing this. Ketosis and all that stuff. I know little about it. I am NOT going low carb it’s just that some days I kind of eat less and wondered if it was bad for me or if there’s anything I should look out for.

Hi, I wouldn't of thought there would be anything bad for you by reducing carbs every few days and make sure you test.
@Mel dCP for some advice :)

Reactions: mountaintom

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Have you read 'Diabetes Solution' by Dr R Bernstein. It has a lot of good info in it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I wouldn't of thought there would be anything bad for you by reducing carbs every few days and make sure you test.
@Mel dCP for some advice :)

Dr. Richard Bernstein, an endocrinologist and person with Type 1 diabetes, advocates a low-carb, high-protein diet for his patients. No more than about 30 grams of carb per day is his advice. This is equivalent to eating two slices of bread or a small baked potato (both of which are discouraged on his diet, by the way). Phase 1 of the Atkins diet consists of no more than 20 grams of carb daily; you can also start off with the Atkins 40 program and boost your carb intake to 40 grams of carb daily.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it's bad for you Tom; in the context of what you're saying I doubt you would enter ketosis as at least half the days you would be eating a regular amount of carbs. We had a thread recently asking Type 1s how many carbs they had per day and although the answer varied a lot one number which seemed to keep popping up was 150g on usual days. Low carb is generally considered anywhere under 120g I believe all the way down to keto which is somewhere below 50g per day.

You may find if you're reducing your carbs into low carb numbers for a few consecutive days you might feel a little off which is commonly referred to as keto flu on this forum.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it's bad for you Tom; in the context of what you're saying I doubt you would enter ketosis as at least half the days you would be eating a regular amount of carbs. We had a thread recently asking Type 1s how many carbs they had per day and although the answer varied a lot one number which seemed to keep popping up was 150g on usual days. Low carb is generally considered anywhere under 120g I believe all the way down to keto which is somewhere below 50g per day.

You may find if you're reducing your carbs into low carb numbers for a few consecutive days you might feel a little off which is commonly referred to as keto flu on this forum.

I think that was my thread!
Ok cool I’m ok then. I’ve had 40g today but have head a rumour there’s pizza for tea.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don’t think you need to worry about DKA, or even ketones. It takes several days of very low carb intake to flip into full time ketosis and fat burning, typically under 30g a day.

DKA happens with the unholy triad of dehydration, no insulin and high blood sugars, so unless you’re sick, it’s extremely unlikely to happen.

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just say if you're gonna do low carb keep an eye on your ratios and background insulin if you start having hypos a lot. Good luck! I eat sort of low-ist carb on most days haha, anything from 20-80. I tried the stricter diets but I just ended up binging carbs out of frustration!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t think you need to worry about DKA, or even ketones. It takes several days of very low carb intake to flip into full time ketosis and fat burning, typically under 30g a day.

DKA happens with the unholy triad of dehydration, no insulin and high blood sugars, so unless you’re sick, it’s extremely unlikely to happen.

Ok great thanks.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just say if you're gonna do low carb keep an eye on your ratios and background insulin if you start having hypos a lot. Good luck! I eat sort of low-ist carb on most days haha, anything from 20-80. I tried the stricter diets but I just ended up binging carbs out of frustration!

Thanks. I’d say I’m averaging at 80-100 without trying.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks. I’d say I’m averaging at 80-100 without trying.
I'd say that;s what I normally have, though sometimes much less. Never even noticed a hint of ketosis (I've got some urine testing strips that I use occasionally.)
My only problem with binging carbs is if I'm hypo....:) (Hypos - the single most loathsome thing about being on insulin.)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That Bernstein guy? 30g carbs a day? A doctor?

Shakes his head with an amused disbelieving smile whilst stirring his porridge.....

30g carbs a day? I'd not have survived the 80s on 2 medium slices of bread a day

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA

Shakes his head with an amused disbelieving smile whilst stirring his porridge.....

30g carbs a day? I'd not have survived the 80s on 2 medium slices of bread a day

Enjoy the porridge me i im looking at this stuff and he just might be on to something..

For the op.

At 80-90 gm carb keytones shouldnt be a issue...

My issue is what vegies fit into the lchf diet

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

30g is drastic all right.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

“Mighty White”?

Reactions: kev-w

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that @Mel dCP .

Ive been doing 20gm for 2.5 days now the glucose has been more predictable than its ever been the line in glimp hasnt been over 7.5 nor below 4 since i started. its nuts no dump at all.
That’s a great start, well done! It’s a massive change to make, and needs total commitment, but the effect on my bgs has been just incredible. Not swinging around all over the place has really calmed my bipolar mood fluctuations too.

Are you making sure you get enough electrolytes? Potassium, magnesium and sodium are key. You need a lot of them to avoid the dreaded “keto flu” that can hit you for a few days when you start.

Reactions: River83

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Reactions: kev-w