Low Carb diet

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Please can you post the link here to your blog? It won't let me access it and I would love to give it a read. I tried low carb last year but ended up in hospital after a week with a three day hypo, I am scheduled to get the pump in August though and think it would allow me better control to try low carb again!
Sure, it’s:

On Facebook: Pescatarian Keto for my Type 1 Diabetes
Also, a blog type thing about food and T1

You do get hypos in the early days as you need to drastically reduce both basal and bolus. I got through a lot of dextrose tabs :D

laurakirkup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure, it’s:

On Facebook: Pescatarian Keto for my Type 1 Diabetes
Also, a blog type thing about food and T1

You do get hypos in the early days as you need to drastically reduce both basal and bolus. I got through a lot of dextrose tabs :D
Amazing thank you! I struggle with my background insulin as once I go low it is a nightmare to get it back up so I'm hoping to slowly introduce low carb with use of the pump! Thanks again!

Cathysbd

Hi, (Magicfire) was the meeting at The Liner in Liverpool? I was st that meeting with a talk by Ian Lake and Dr Unwin. I thought it was so interesting. I’m a big carb/sweet tooth addict and now I really want to change to low carb.
Not too long ago, I was at an education night for insulin pump users in my area. The discussion was on low carb diet and how it can help with type 1 diabetes. Has anyone tried it? I've been thinking about it since the session because I always thought it was a bad idea for a type 1 but it all made sense. I'm not a fussy eater and I like to try new things, I'm just not sure where to start.

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What level should you correct bs on a low carb diet? Over 7 too high?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What level should you correct bs on a low carb diet? Over 7 too high?
I correct with half a unit when I get above 6.5mmol - that usually (ha!) brings me down to 5 - maybe a unit in the mornings as I’m a bit resistant. I’m resistant to EVERYTHING in the morning though, not just insulin ;)

Reactions: boboblck

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must get myself a half into pen.

Soo my sister is a GP and she said she spoke to the diabetic consultant today at work.. saying I was now on a low carb diet and the consultant said to stop as can cause kidney damage having ketones...

Doesn’t fluctuating or high blood sugars cause that?? God!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Soo my sister is a GP and she said she spoke to the diabetic consultant today at work.. saying I was now on a low carb diet and the consultant said to stop as can cause kidney damage having ketones...

We’re not allowed to die of anything, didn’t they tell you?

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are ketones really bad for kidneys then? It seems like you can’t win either way if that’s the case..

Is that the only concern with the low carb diet?

Last edited:

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's sad and scary a diabetes consultant would say that.

My understanding is high blood sugars and high blood pressure damage kidneys in a long term.

Low carb diet normally result in stable lower blood sugars and is therefore good for kidneys but because low carb diet tends to be higher protein diet, it's not recommended if you already have kidney problem (eg CDK stage 3 or worse). If you have healthy kidney function, low carb diet does not damage your kidneys. That's my understanding.

MagicFirefly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dangerous drivers
Marmite
Hi, (Magicfire) was the meeting at The Liner in Liverpool? I was st that meeting with a talk by Ian Lake and Dr Unwin. I thought it was so interesting. I’m a big carb/sweet tooth addict and now I really want to change to low carb.
Yes it was! I found it interesting also. It was the first support meeting I had attended and it was super interesting talking diabetes and my poor friend didn't have a clue what we were talking about.
Did you make it to the one last night on going on holiday with t1? That was also somewhat of an eye opener. Some stuff I already knew and had done and other things I hadn't even thought of!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have diabetic for over 35 years and after putting on a wee bit of weight decided to try a low carb diet. I am not too strict about it but have made a real effort to cut out potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. Done this for about 10 weeks now and have lost half a stone so happy with that. Previously I was taking around 220 g of carbs daily

The main carbs I have now are cereal with milk in morning, around 50g, maybe 20 g of carbs at lunch, salad stuff and maybe some home made soups. Dinner at night is, chicken, fish, meat but just have veg with that. last night chicken stir fry, onion, peppers, courgette, carrot,baby corn, mushrooms, probably around 25 g of carbs

couple of crackers and cheese around 8 pm with my coffee

At weekend I will have a couple of rolls for breakfast and maybe an Indian/Chinese takeaway as my naughty carbs day

Obviously my insulin intake has reduced considerably for lunch and dinner

BG has got better but still having some strange readings when BG is rising, particularly overnight for no apparent reason. So infuriating