Another thread about strips...

viv1969

My Dr. has now cancelled my prescription for testing strips.
20 minutes of discussions but she was not going to budge.
I guess I've had it good whilst it lasted.
Kind of scares me though that I won't be able to test. :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sorry to hear that Viv...... :( Did you use the points in 'Tips for Strips' as a basis for discussion ?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

Can you see another GP ? You don't say what the reasons were ? If they go against the guidelines then complain to the Practice Manager and/or your local PCT. If you don't ask......you don't get.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Sorry to hear this Viv , I`m in the same boat, my practice just flatly refuses me tests strips and yet tells me I`m doing so well to controll BG , how the heck do they think I do it ?

viv1969

Thanks Ken & Kate

I've always taken my (mountain) of charts / paperwork with me, and this time was no different. (read the tips too, thanks)

Hba1c is at 5.6 and I have what I consider to be very tight control on my diabetes, and she has always been (it seemed) happy to prescribe my strips. However she informed me that the practice has taken the decision to withdraw testing strip from all non-insulin using diabetics with the exception of those with extremely poor control. I have good control because I test!!!!

Changing Drs would mean changing surgeries and tbh (not defending the decision), I believe she is carrying out the wishes of those above her. I've always had a good relationship with my GP and would be loathe to move.

I'm not prepared to risk my control because of thier fiscal decisions, so although I can barely afford it, I will be sourcing strips from Ebay.

I'm just a bit peed off right now.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This was posted in relation to a Petition about SMBG a while back........the UK Government response.

Government response
Every person with diabetes is different and their clinical condition and personal situation changes throughout their life. If a person has diabetes, it is central to his or her care that they receive the most appropriate advice to help them manage their condition. However, the Department of Health does not provide specific dietary advice to people with diabetes.

The Department of Health wants people to know that they can change their lifestyle and make a difference to their health. This is achieved by giving the public clear and consistent messages on why they should change their lifestyle, and what they can do to make this easier.

The self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) in the management of non-insulin treated Type 2 diabetes is the subject of a recently published report from NHS Diabetes. It recommends that in keeping with the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence guidance (CG87), SMBG should only be provided routinely to people with Type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin or sulphonylurea and where there is an agreed purpose or goal to testing. SMBG should only be used within a care package and accompanied by structured education, which ensures that people with diabetes have a clear understanding of the role of monitoring and of how the results can improve health outcomes. Individuals with non-insulin treated diabetes who are motivated by SMBG to maximise the benefits of lifestyle and medication should be encouraged to continue to monitor their blood glucose.

Prescribing decisions about blood glucose test strips are for local determination, but Primary Care Trusts should not impose a blanket policy on testing strips for people with Type 2 diabetes.

© Crown copyright

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I dont blame you for feeling p`d off , it annoys the heck out of me too . I never was prescibed strips , was told that testing wasnt necessary :evil: I also get on with my Doctor which is why I dont want to change surgery, and in any case , doing that would be massively difficult in the rural area I live in .

viv1969

Thanks again Ken.

I've decided to at least write to the practice and using that response, printed from source, may assist. I believe I have done everything possible to maintain control over my diabetes, and the withdrawal of test strips simply risks my long term health for thier own short-term fiscal gain.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Good for you Viv. Sock it to 'em..........nicely of course !! :twisted:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been to my GP for a BP test - well that was the good news down to 104/61 :D - Then he said when I asked for a script and asked for strips - sorry no more strips - you have tight control you don't need to test - we have stopped all strips for T2's.

like you viv I argued my case for well over my allotted appointment time but no joy :( - to be honest I have been waiting for this to happen. I am on hypo inducing meds and can hypo occasionally - but this didn't sway him - nor the argument that I have good control BECAUSE I test :roll:

I was being allowed 4 tubs a year - which is hardly anywhere near enough and I buy a tub a month myself -

Bet if he had taken my BP after the discussion the results would have been different :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Viv,

You can't win can you! :x They want you to get good control and the only way of achieving this is by testing, once you are seen to have good control they take away the very things that have made this possible! :?

Write a stern letter to the practise manager and make your concerns known, if possible ask for a meeting with him/her so you can put your case across personally. Good luck!

Nigel

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I'm a T1, changed GPs due to my one not prescribing me them, i would request a repeat, then attend the chemist and no prescription, this happend 3 times, could not depend on him and each time had to get an appoint with him. at mo my new gp is prescribing me them, though he's stopped another medication i had, cant win.

this is the future

sorry

viv1969

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I have written my letter and delivered it to the surgery, with copies also to the practice manager and my local PCT.

babira

or just keep going into the GP every other day and say ur not feeling well and they will have to check ur blood sugars...become a pain :mrgreen:

kengreen

I am new to this but I recently had my strips cancelled by my GP (as i take tablets and do not use insulin). I was directed to (Company name removed. Google for info) who supply the CareSens meter and they sent me a free meter and I purchased the test strips for £12.75 per pack of 50. I found the service really good.

It is not great having to buy them, but i feel better when i test and at least i did not have to spend the £25 that my local pharmacist was quoting for a pack.

viv1969

Thanks for the tip about (Company name removed).
12.50 isn't too bad.....still too much imo, but far more resonable than most.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Kengreen,
Was that including or excluding VAT?
other cheaper option may be GlucoRx 50 test strips £11.94 (less the VAT )

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is soooo scary as I am also a Type 2 controlled on diet and exercise and I would panic if I didn't have my strips. It's what alerts me to do more exercise , eat more, less etc. I count myself lucky every time I get my tub a month. At least I have been through the food testing and know basically what I can get away with or not.
Thanks so much for the info for the free meter and strips that cost 1/2 the priice that mine do - just in case I have to start buying them out of my pension!!!!