Low Sugar Spasms

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I didn't know it wasn't a common side affect, but if I'm having a very low blood sugar and my body is reacting to it in a sweat, sometimes flashing lights/ lots of movement/colour cause my eyes to spasm and my head to kind of tic.

My eyes go out of control and my head will flick to the side.

The only way to stop this from happening whilst my blood sugars come up is by covering
My head with a jumper or something... or by closing my eyes.

Does anyone else ever experience this?
(It's really rare that I do)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I know you can get seizures if you go low enough... (Unfortunately. I'd much prefer not to have experienced this. :))

Oops, just realised this is the RH forum, I'm T1 but I guess the going low is the same even if the reason is slightly different.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries!
I can easily move this to the T1 section of the forum, if @Dana_Heath would like that?

There will probably be more responses, if it goes there. :)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hiya!

I didn't know it wasn't a common side affect, but if I'm having a very low blood sugar and my body is reacting to it in a sweat, sometimes flashing lights/ lots of movement/colour cause my eyes to spasm and my head to kind of tic.

The only way to stop this from happening whilst my blood sugars come up is by covering

Hello,

Yes when I go very low as in a bad hypo my head twitches and I get jerking limbs. Legs and arms. Exactly as you describe.

I can not focus on anything. Also and this is very strange if I am trying to focus everything that I see sort of join together. There will be bits of my living room on the TV and if there is a newspaper say on my coffee table it too will blend in. Everything that I see joins together as one. It very weird.

I will also get this "pulling faces" tic.. People normally move away when this happens. Ha... Gets me a seat on the bus though!..

Reactions: Dana_Heath

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Yes when I go very low as in a bad hypo my head twitches and I get jerking limbs. Legs and arms. Exactly as you describe.

I can not focus on anything. Also and this is very strange if I am trying to focus everything that I see sort of join together. There will be bits of my living room on the TV and if there is a newspaper say on my coffee table it too will blend in. Everything that I see joins together as one. It very weird.

I will also get this "pulling faces" tic.. People normally move away when this happens. Ha... Gets me a seat on the bus though!..

Yes oh my god!
It only affects me if there's lots of movement or colours around me- I was at a scout festival once and had a bad hypo at the closing ceremony!
I just curled up into a ball bc it was the first time I had it and didn't know what to do!

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If my blood goes below 3 i get pulses of energy almost like little electric shocks in my arms and hands. i would imagine that if my blood was a lot lower the effect might be more pronounced and same ticking might happen as you described.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Yes oh my god!
It only affects me if there's lots of movement or colours around me- I was at a scout festival once and had a bad hypo at the closing ceremony!
I just curled up into a ball bc it was the first time I had it and didn't know what to do!

The confusion scares me. My hypos at the best of times are very "Stanley Kubrick / David Cronenberg" ! Some months ago I spent half an hour on my kitchen floor with my arm spinning the drum of my washing machine round and round as I believed it would generate a phone number on my mobile to get through to someone !..

And earlier on in the year I believed I had gone back in time to 2015 through a worm hole on the Kilburn High Road. I spent about an hour looking for this "portal" in order to get back to 2018.. Anyway, obviously I never found it but once I had some trusted Lucozade once back home I realised that I was still in 2018..

I thought it was 2015 because that was the time when I looked at my watch.. 20:15.. Or 8.15pm !

All made sense when sugars were back up...

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Wow, I've only had one proper hypo but that wasn't anything like anyone has described. After reading this, I'll always check I've got my fruit pastilles in my bag

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get what sounds similar to this too and have also has a seizure!

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a seizure once last year but my sugars weren't low and I could prove it!
Hospital didn't listen and wouldn't let me prove it so marked it down as it was caused from my diabetes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Hi,

Yes, it's quite common. I have a varient of your symptoms. Green or dark blue gosemer map of France in my field of vision. Dancing lights (brilliant white.) in the lower field, or a hazy shimmer...?
The spasms I haven't felt since a kid on porcine insulin.. Motor skills like a dancer on the MJ Thriller vid.. How I managed to treat myself back then, I'll never know....

Basically, the brain waiving a white flag.