A Year Into My T1 Diagnosis

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I'm still alive

Hello everyone, a year today I had the bloodtest that diagnosed me as a type 1. It's been a huge worry dealing with this condition, but a year in I feel more confident than I did in the first few months.

It totally took over my life, I hammered the books, websites and other forms of t1 information. At times I asked questions on this forum that didn't really warrant a reply as every little diabetic problem caused me to panic. Saying that though I gathered a lot of info to help me deal with t1 a lot better. I never thought that the pressures of testing and injecting etc would ease but it has for now. If anyone is newly diagnosed and is feeling overwhelmed, it does get easier. Not easier as in we will be cured and dont need insulin, but easier to deal with and carry on with our lives.

I am still in the honeymoon period and it is easier to manage (sometimes). I think the extended honeymoon is down to advice on this forum regarding carb intake/counting and injecting the amounts of insulin I know that my body needs to deal with the foods I eat. I do still worry if I will deal with t1 when im fully dependent on insulin, only time will tell.

My blood meter has me averaging 6.8 mmol over the last 3 months. Not many hypos in the readings, a few unexplained 13-15 mmol readings and a few miscalculated over 10mmol readings after eating pizzas. Pizzas, do I ditch them or split my doses? only time will tell if I can conquer pizzas.

I just had to get this off my chest and hopefully it will give any newly diagnosed t1's a bit info on how things can be with a little knowledge and support from others.

Good luck everyone with the daily battle.

John

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Good to hear from you @Jc3131 Diagnosis can be incredibly over whelming but in time it does get easier, it's nice to hear confirmation of this though particularly for newbies.

I am still in the honeymoon period and it is easier to manage (sometimes). I think the extended honeymoon is down to advice on this forum regarding carb intake/counting and injecting the amounts of insulin I know that my body needs to deal with the foods I eat. I do still worry if I will deal with t1 when im fully dependent on insulin, only time will tell.
Personally I found it alot easier to manage my insulin after the honeymoon as there were less times to worry about the pancreas doing a spurt and upsetting the apple cart on my levels.

Keep doing what you're doing and stay positive :)

Reactions: Jc3131 and becca59

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Forgot to mention I always split my dose with pizza, the fat delays the carb absorption and 3-4 hours afterwards I can spike, so I use a pump setting to do a dual wave split (sorry for technical speak) which helps manage this, it's trial and error how you decide to split though.

Reactions: Jc3131

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im just over a year myself john although my honeymoon is well and truely over but it does get that bit easier ....actually when i say easier i dont think i quite think its easier i think due to advice on this forum and from dns ive grown more confident in managing this condition im glad your feeling more in control long may it continue :joyful:also i split my injection if im having a particulary fatty meal i normally do a 50/50 which works well for me xx

Reactions: Jc3131 and Juicyj

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.8 is fantastic, keep it up! My first year was all over the place with three bouts of DKA and being hospitalized a lot, hitting the thirties regularly. So I'd say you're doing awesome! :)

Reactions: Jc3131 and Juicyj