Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I am a fairly new diabetic going on 7-8 months now and have managed to control my blood sugars quite well with a HBa1c of 46 my last blood test 2 weeks ago.

However the past 3-4 days my blood sugars have been really hard to manage and is starting to rise and I've doubled my insulin from 6 units of Lantus to 12 in the past week and still my blood glucose rises being consistently in 10mmol+ range throughout the whole day. My bolus (Apidra) insulin used to be 1 unit every 15 grams of carbs, and I've now tried it 1 unit every 10 grams and my blood glucose is still rising. Very strange as I am very controlled with my blood sugar.
Could this be the ending of what my diabetic team call the honeymoon phase, if anybody can help or give any advice it would be very useful.

Thanks for reading,

Dray_F96

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would get in touch with your doctor/nurse if you can! Have you started any new medications? Do you log your tests? And are you rotating your injection sites? Sometimes injecting the same place causes insulin resistance.

It could be possible your honeymoon period is ending, especially if this is very sudden.
I would continue to play around with changing ratios until I could get assistance. My first instinct was that your basal wasn't enough but if you've doubled it then that's strange.

Hope this helps!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you sure that you haven't got an infection of some sort? Coming down with a cold?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It might be worth changing to a new insulin cartridge. In this sort of weather, it's possible your insulin has become inactive through heat. Of course, this does not apply if you keep it in the fridge.

Reactions: boboblck

Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies everyone,

I have spoken to my diabetic team and they've advised me to try out 12-13 units over the weekend to see if my blood glucose settles.
I regularly change my injection sites and try not to inject in the same place as much as possible. I will try out changing my insulin cartridges, but it has been a very strange couple of days of my blood sugars suddenly changing out of nowhere, will keep you updated on how things go over the weekend!

Thanks everyone for your support

Dray_F96