Basal Rate Peaks/valleys On Pump. Type 1

MStreet89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, been a diabetic for last 15 years or so and never been quite sure on managing my basal rate on my pump.
Always had very good hba1c. Recently read about basal rate peaks/valleys as described here and became a bit concerned about mine as there’s a lot. (See here https://diatribe.org/issues/26/thinking-like-a-pancreas )

Here is my current basal and yesterday’s CGM results
View attachment 27072

I’m having hypos in the am which I’ve been slowly reducing 1-2 hours before each hour it’s low.

View attachment 27073

However, the drop from 1.1 to 0.5 at 22:00-23:00 seems drastic but necessary considering my blood sugars are ok during this period but doesn’t stick with the “not multiple peaks/valleys” discussed in the link above.

MStreet89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can’t find the thread but recently saw a thread regarding there being no type 1’s around here.
I don’t wish to sound unappreciative but 0 replies in a 20 hour period is probably the reason why.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am here ! I haven't read the article yet and suspect the reason you haven't had too many replies is that its a 'master class; question! Also on a pump and aware of the author so thanks for drawing my attention to it. Sorry I can't be of much help.
My basal is the same (0.72) until I get to pre dawn when I jack it up to 0.82. Sometimes I find I go hypo here (anxiety dreams) but not too low. Just unplug my pump and let my liver do its thing (thus probably breaking a rule).
I find that if I don't snack after my last meal and have no bolus insulin board at bedtime then that sets me up for a smooth ride through the night with the occasional exception of the dawn thing.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone will reply eventually but quite a lot of us don't use pumps and will not be able to offer any help or advice.

All that above is alien to me as I'm on a basal bolus injection regime.

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
I use a Medtronic 640g and I have set a rolling mountain range with the Sugar loaf Mountain for the Dawn Phenomenon. The afternoon leads me into the Hypoglacial Valley. I try not to have too many giant leaps between steps but work my basal up or down as required for the day. I have to readjust my basal rates every few months or so and I use a CGM to see the trends. I have the basal set for each hour but I'm a bit OCD!

MStreet89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the replies everyone. Apologies for my impatience, I really appreciate these forums but I’ve found most questions I’ve posted haven’t had much or any of a response.
Anyway, I’m thinking at the moment that I just try get my blood sugar stable again. I’ve been dropping down by 0.1 for the last week or so every day because I’m having hypos throughout the early hours.
I’m seeing a trend as this happened a month or so ago and I eventually get it right but then my blood sugar starts to go high again and I’m back to square one!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For me on a pump I altered my basal
2&3 hours before any highs or lows not. 1-2 hours.

We are all individual because we all get up, eat, activity in four lives differently.
Some get DP, some get waking phen, some don't.
You can only individualise to youself.

Consultants, books can only give "average", not individual. Dont worry if any hour actually drops to 0... as long as your bloods read ok..

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @MStreet89,
To check my pump's basal levels:
1) I check that I am not experiencing high BSL with ketones
2) I fast for 12 hours, (but drink water) and measure BSLS regularly
3) I view those levels and adjust to prevent low readings first, it may only be 0.25 for 2 to 3 hours spans to 0.50 for a single hour.
4) several days later I do a similar fast and see how that has worked.
5) I repeat the procedure of the other 12 hours if need be.
6) I have tried a 24 hour fast but found ketones would develop about the 18 hour mark, and ketones cause insulin resistance so may unduly influence the subsequent BSL readings.
PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR DSN/DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING SOMETHING LIKE THIS.