Type 1 Hypo

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've just treated an hypo but I'm wondering how long after an hypo is it safe to go to sleep?
I had one week before last I done a bootcamp, I came home and ate breakfast then started cleaning the house about 2hrs in i felt a little strange so check my bloods and I gone down to 3.6 before I ate I was 8.7. I treated but while waiting for them to rise I'd fallen a sleep I woke 20 minutes later I'm not sure what happened.
Thanks
Georgiee x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
In the example given of your drop from 8 to 3 you had excercise vigorously then gently (boot camp and cleaning). I find cleaning always lowers my levels (this is why my house is a mess).
So, tonight have you exercised today? And what level are you at now? Do you have insulin on board?

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the example given of your drop from 8 to 3 you had excercise vigorously then gently (boot camp and cleaning). I find cleaning always lowers my levels (this is why my house is a mess).
So, tonight have you exercised today? And what level are you at now? Do you have insulin on board?
Hi, no exercise today rest day...lol
But I ate some wholemeal pasta tonight for dinner which is usual for me but fancied it so thought why not. Ate then had two clicks of novo.
I was 5.7 before I ate checked 2hrs later and had dropped I didn't want to rise too much so took the quick acting.
I'm still pretty new to this so still getting my head around things there is still so much I don't know .
But reading the forum does help

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, no exercise today rest day...lol
But I ate some wholemeal pasta tonight for dinner which is usual for me but fancied it so thought why not. Ate then had two clicks of novo.
I was 5.7 before I ate checked 2hrs later and had dropped I didn't want to rise too much so took the quick acting.
I'm still pretty new to this so still getting my head around things there is still so much I don't know .
But reading the forum does help
My legal are now at 7.8 after treating and eatting something carby.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Pasta is notorious for ups and downs. Anyway sounds like you are at a good level now, so you should be good to go to sleep. Just make sure you have your kit ant hypo treatment by the bed in case you feel odd in the night.
Being new your pancreas may be splurging out insulin randomly at times.
Hug.

Reactions: Georgiee

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I hope you are doing well, from my 9 years of experience (type 1) you should eat something that quickly raises your sugar and then eat a snack that with carbs that decompose slowly throughout the night so that you dont fall into a hypo again. Usually wait 20-30 minutes and if it looks good you are safe

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Pasta is notorious for ups and downs. Anyway sounds like you are at a good level now, so you should be good to go to sleep. Just make sure you have your kit ant hypo treatment by the bed in case you feel odd in the night.
Being new your pancreas may be splurging out insulin randomly at times.
Hug.
Thanks @Diakat for your reply it's much appreciated. I do keep glucose tabs and a small snack by the bed just in case.
I've learnt that from reading the forum

Reactions: Diakat

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ Georgiee,
Can I ask how you cope with exercise, ?, Do you alter your insulin dose, eat more, or a combo of both ?
If I have exercised in the afternoon /evening I know that hypos often may occur some 6 plus hours later.

It is something to do with the muscles sucking up glucose from the blood to replenish muscle stores of glycogen (glucose storage compound).
What I do on my trusty insulin pump is reduce my basal insulin by 20% for at least 4 hours from exercise time on , take 10 to 20% off the pre-meal bolus and add in a larger supper, but also set the alarm to check blood sugar at the 5 hours mark after I had completed the exercise.
When I was on MDI, I would reduce the long-acting insulin which would be acting in the next 6 hours plus hours plus the bolus also.

I hope that answers your question but ask you to check with your DSN about ty=your own situation before trying out any alteration of your insulin regime. Good luck and keep enjoying exercising.

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @ Georgiee,
Can I ask how you cope with exercise, ?, Do you alter your insulin dose, eat more, or a combo of both ?
If I have exercised in the afternoon /evening I know that hypos often may occur some 6 plus hours later.

It is something to do with the muscles sucking up glucose from the blood to replenish muscle stores of glycogen (glucose storage compound).
What I do on my trusty insulin pump is reduce my basal insulin by 20% for at least 4 hours from exercise time on , take 10 to 20% off the pre-meal bolus and add in a larger supper, but also set the alarm to check blood sugar at the 5 hours mark after I had completed the exercise.
When I was on MDI, I would reduce the long-acting insulin which would be acting in the next 6 hours plus hours plus the bolus also.

I hope that answers your question but ask you to check with your DSN about ty=your own situation before trying out any alteration of your insulin regime. Good luck and keep enjoying exercising.
Hi @kitedoc, I'm still continuing to exercise 4 times a week sometimes times 5 if I can fit a run it. I find that if I exercise in the morning I don't really need to adjust anything I take my 6 units of Levemir as usual make sure I eat a good breakfast and I'm fine. But for my evening session I take 8units but if I'm working out I drop that to 6 units.
I think I still need to find the balance of the novo if I eat any carbs after excerising. I try to use it as little as possible but sometimes needs must

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ Georgiee,
Before I cottoned unto the possibility of lowish BSLS in early morning after late afternoon/evening exercise I used to wake up with a headache and highish BSLS.
I later figured out that I had had a hypo in the early hours and the good old liver had released enough sugar from its stores to correct the low sugar level but unfortunately had overshot the mark. So night time hypo = headache and unexplained higher bsl on waking.

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello I hope you are doing well, from my 9 years of experience (type 1) you should eat something that quickly raises your sugar and then eat a snack that with carbs that decompose slowly throughout the night so that you dont fall into a hypo again. Usually wait 20-30 minutes and if it looks good you are safe
Thank you for your response I'm 7 months in and I know there still so much for me to learn.
I always worry about treating hypos I use with dextros and glocous tabs, I have them dotted around the house not sure if that's over kill but don't want to out.
What would you say a good source of carbs? After treating a hypo in your experience?